Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

What's the story with Jack Kelly?.. I was away the year he played 20s so haven't really seen anything of him.. The soundings seem odd - The 42 are saying he's been offered a short term contract with a view to extending longer term.. It goes on to say Leinster are keen to keep him and rate him highly, yet he's barely played at all for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hype101 wrote: »
    What's the story with Jack Kelly?.. I was away the year he played 20s so haven't really seen anything of him.. The soundings seem odd - The 42 are saying he's been offered a short term contract with a view to extending longer term.. It goes on to say Leinster are keen to keep him and rate him highly, yet he's barely played at all for them.

He's probably going to move on to the Sevens programme full time if Leinster don't commit. There's a lot of competition for the wing, so would be hard for him to push for a spot to be honest. Lowe, Dave, Adam Byrne, Barry Daly, Tomane, Ferg, Larmour, Keenan, then you've the likes of Jimmy O'Brien, Aaron O'Sullivan and Michael Sylvester in the academy as well.

I think it's almost a repeat of the Dardis situation to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭durthacht

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Is the « which province has the biggest d*ck when it comes to player development » not a really REALLY boring subject?

#yawn

Yes. Yes it is.

It is a deeply and unspeakably dull subject which has been discussed interminably on here again and again and again.

It seems to interest half a dozen or so people who insist on repeating the same boring arguments over and over again. My God but it is tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

hype101 wrote: »

He's on a development contract just now which is what the full time 7s players are on but he's splitting his time (effectively a joint 7s and leinster contract). He's probably on that and will split time until January or end of this season then next season he'll probably have to choose a leinster or 7s deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Lets not forget the uproar in Munster when the following happened:

https://www.the42.ie/munster-irfu-block-stephen-moore-2452784-Nov2015/

To quote: Munster currently have Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey, Niall Scannell and Kevin O’Byrne as hooking options in their senior squad.

Only this was blocked then Scannell would never have been developed and become Ireland international.

Couple of points:

1. I've said it before in this post but what you're saying is inaccurate. Nucifora is on record as saying he didn't block the Stephen Moore deal, Moore just didn't accept Munster's offer.

2. You're over-simplifying. Just taking another Munster front-row as an example, John Ryan has said he learned a lot from BJ Botha and wouldn't be as good a player without his presence. There are countless other examples of players and ex-players mentioning former NIQ teammates who raised the level of everyone around them. There has to be scope for bringing in players like that.

3. I've asked this before also, but didn't get an answer. What positions do you think it's acceptable for Munster to sign an overseas player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think it is time to create a 'My province is better than your province' thread. Where we can have the arguments about who contributes more to the Irish team etc. A no ban rule would apply in this oasis of hate. For older readers imagine the video for Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Two Tribes. For the kids, i guess its similar to the Hunger Games.

I say throw a knife and a David Nucifora press release in to the middle of the thread, turn off the lights and see who comes out alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

aloooof wrote: »

1. I've said it before in this post but what you're saying is inaccurate. Nucifora is on record as saying he didn't block the Stephen Moore deal, Moore just didn't accept Munster's offer.

It's ancient history now but he absolutely did block Moore. Whether it was the right call or not is very debatable but he 100% did and pretty much said so himself.

Yes, I'm aware he said that he didn't. But go back and read exactly what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Go across to Maynooth or M3 parkway and get train in.....driving on a Friday is nuts!!!!

It's the fact that we both work in different places and herself could be working until six or so. I'm not saying the world should revolve around us, just moaning that it doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Can't believe Leinster aren't signing a load of short term NIQs

https://twitter.com/RugbyGareth/status/1152106406075666432?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It's ancient history now but he absolutely did block Moore. Whether it was the right call or not is very debatable but he 100% did and pretty much said so himself.

Yes, I'm aware he said that he didn't. But go back and read exactly what he said.

????

I'm going on the record to say you are totally wrong.

I'm also going on the record to say you are totally right

• Advertisement

????

I'm going on the record to say you are totally wrong.

I'm also going on the record to say you are totally right

To be fair to Former Former, I think he means that Nucifora said one thing but implied another.

Here's the full quote from the article for anyone that's are interested. Nucifora: I didn't block Munster's move for Stephen Moore, he turned down their offer
    "The buck stops with me," he said of overseas signings. "Look, Munster came to us with Stephen and said 'this is what we'd like to put forward'. There's a whole range of things that we think about that go into these decisions.

"So, having a player that's still eligible to play international rugby that's going to cost a province a lot of money, is that the best use of the funds available, where he's going to be missing for a large portion of the season? Probably not.

"It'd be nice to have him but it'd be nice to have him for the whole year.

"It wasn't blocked. There probably was an offer made to Moore. It just wasn't accepted."

My more larger and more important point is that there's absolutely a place for NIQ's in the Irish system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My more larger and more important point is that there's absolutely a place for NIQ's in the Irish system.

Who said NIQ don't have a place in the system? the right NIQ can bring on younger players leaps and bounds with skills etc....

NIQshould not be signed just because the province has a free slot....Leinster have been guilty of this before as well

NIQshould not be signed just because the province has a free slot....Leinster have been guilty of this before as well

So what positions do you think it would be acceptable for Munster to sign an NIQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

So what positions do you think it would be acceptable for Munster to sign an NIQ?

9 and 10, more depth needed

9 & 10 as posted above.....sure they are down to a critical level of 4 players at this stage for those positions :P:P:P:P

TH and 12 IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »

TH and 12 IMO

Agreed. They need NIQs who will lift the quality of the first XV, they don't need more filler.

A real beast of a TH and a top class playmaking 12 would be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A real beast of a TH and a top class playmaking 12 would be massive.

So like a better Rory Scannell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

After seeing it in the flesh, Adidas out did themselves. They actually managed to make a more hideous alternate jersey than last years green one. That purple one is absolutely vile.

stephen_n wrote: »
    After seeing it in the flesh, Adidas out did themselves. They actually managed to make a more hideous alternate jersey than last years green one. That purple one is absolutely vile.

Seen the European jersey in lifestyle the other day for the first time, the pattern on it is horrendous. Looks like someone did a really poor job at dyeing them.

Seen the European jersey in lifestyle the other day for the first time, the pattern on it is horrendous. Looks like someone did a really poor job at dyeing them.

Tried it on today, it’s the exact same as the home jersey last year, just different print on the material. Sleeves are at that horrible in between length, that’s neither long nor short. The home jersey is actually quite nice on but didn’t have my size, so not 100% on the fit. That is unless I’m mixing up the home and the Euro jersey’s. The light blue one is the home one?

Tried it on today, it’s the exact same as the home jersey last year, just different print on the material. Sleeves are at that horrible in between length, that’s neither long nor short. The home jersey is actually quite nice on but didn’t have my size, so not 100% on the fit. That is unless I’m mixing up the home and the Euro jersey’s. The light blue one is the home one?

57837820xlarge.jpg?sw=360&q=86 this is the new European one. Home jersey's the one with the dagger style pattern on it

57837820xlarge.jpg?sw=360&q=86 this is the new European one. Home jersey's the one with the dagger style pattern on it

Ok I had them backwards, the fit on the European one is nice. The home jersey is just the same as last years one but a different pattern. Mind you, they have again made the European one in the absolute cheapest way possible, the three stripes are even heat transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ok I had them backwards, the fit on the European one is nice. The home jersey is just the same as last years one but a different pattern. Mind you, they have again made the European one in the absolute cheapest way possible, the three stripes are even heat transfers.

Home jersey is the same as last years, no redesign or new pattern.

Home jersey is the same as last years, no redesign or new pattern.

I’m losing my marbles then, thought the pattern was different?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I’m losing my marbles then, thought the pattern was different?

Nope, I think the home is the same. They've only released new European and alternates this year.

Id say next year they'll release a new home kit :)

Nope, I think the home is the same. They've only released new European and alternates this year.

Id say next year they'll release a new home kit :)

I suppose that would explain it being the same fit alright :o

• Advertisement

9 & 10 as posted above.....sure they are down to a critical level of 4 players at this stage for those positions :P:P:P:P

In which case, let us never hear you complaining about Alby Matthewson again. Hallelujah! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement