Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

beauf wrote: »
    I like the way buying outside of Ireland or Dublin just isn't considered. No lateral thinking whatsoever.

Same goes with those on the housing list. No where outside the M50 will be considered , yet the tax payers who a high % commute from the surrounding counties for 1.5+ hour commute have to buy houses they can afford oustide Dublin so they can help Annie with 4 kids from 3 different dads live beside mammy and daddy so she has a baby sitter for micky money night. The tail is wagging the dog in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

duffman13 wrote: »
    I worked previously for a bank, no one, and I mean no one enjoyed working in the environment of restructures etc. Banks have to offload the loans because they are worthless for the most part and the central bank is there to regulate the banks and protect everyone

Its the on example of a state body doing a brilliant job. Things may relax in the next year or two, but not before then and any relaxation in rules I'd say will be counter balanced which may help someone like yourself

The central bank will look at increasing multiples of salary in the future based on % deposit. In other words a 30% deposit may get get you 4 or 4.5 times your salary. IMO this will replace th ed current exemptions system soon enough

Thats not a bad work around the more skin in the game for the buyer the higher you can borrow, means less risk for the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ush1 wrote: »
    Very true, and the noise of buy a property at mad prices in 2008 before they go even higher!

Stopped clocks and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

Being mid 40s and remembering the 80s and general level of penury around at that time. I personally feel everything is over priced here relative to perhaps where the next few years can take us. But with all major purchases don’t discount going with your gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Heard this on the radio the other day.

Completions being scaled back to 21,000 for 2019 (down from 22,000). This appears to be the construction industry limiting supply as prices have softened.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/glut-of-homes-for-sales-leads-to-fall-in-housing-output-38324691.html

While we have a supply shortage, this is the obvious consequence if prices look weak. This backs up my earlier prediction that we will not see any major price reductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SozBbz wrote: »

Completions being scaled back to 21,000 for 2019 (down from 22,000). This appears to be the construction industry limiting supply as prices have softened.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/glut-of-homes-for-sales-leads-to-fall-in-housing-output-38324691.html

While we have a supply shortage, this is the obvious consequence if prices look weak. This backs up my earlier prediction that we will not see any major price reductions.

Looking at a couple of the larger planned developments around Dublin, it seems more likely that the construction companies can't or won't ramp up fast enough. There are pretty excessive gaps between things like groundworks to the cranes/builders landing in most sites around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Looking at a couple of the larger planned developments around Dublin, it seems more likely that the construction companies can't or won't ramp up fast enough. There are pretty excessive gaps between things like groundworks to the cranes/builders landing in most sites around me.

It's definitely can't rather than won't. Having a half built site while holding funding is exceptionally expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Beyond the headline:
    But apartment construction is surging as investment funds pour money into the development of these units
    Goodbody economist Dermot O’Leary said there is now a rising inventory of unsold stock forming for house builders.

So they're building what they think will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Beyond the headline:

So they're building what they think will sell.

Obviously.

But the point being is that its down on last year, and significantly down on what had been estimated for this year.

They're cutting back as they're no interest in flooding the market with stock they can't shift at what they determine to be the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Obviously.

But the point being is that its down on last year, and significantly down on what had been estimated for this year.

They're cutting back as they're no interest in flooding the market with stock they can't shift at what they determine to be the right price.

The cost of land and labour in Ireland is very high and shows no sign of going down other costs such as fitting out have droped and are of better quality.

In other words, the cost of land and labour are the big factors in building so prices can only go down so much before it is not profitable to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

JDD wrote: »
    I think he's less referring to someone staining your couch to the risk of someone deciding not to pay their rent and overholding for six months or more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Q3 2020 - Q2 2021 is when the economy will slump. It won't crash like 2008 as that was a once in a lifetime crash, akin to 1929, but about 15% will come off property prices. Save your cash, and wait to buy until then. I would have done that myself only we had to buy last year when we did. If you're okay renting for another couple of years I'd wait.

So for someone to hold out to 2021 they will in dublin be paying min 1400 per month. Then when they start looking two years from now they will not find anything straight away. So you could be within three years. The wait is for a 15% discount to today prices you say. Look at the rent that is been paid out its not that straight forward. If you find a property you can afford to buy then buy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Obviously.

It's not down on last year. Last year there were only 18000 completions.

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-completion-cso-2018-4482831-Feb2019/

It also isn't significantly down on estimates for this year. The same person previously estimated we would build 21,700 units this year so he revised it down by 700 units.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/housing-market-could-be-facing-a-hit-in-2019-37776825.html
    Activity has begun to recover in recent years with 14,400 houses and apartments completed in 2017 with Goodbody Stockbrokers chief economist Dermot O'Leary estimating that almost 18,500 were built in 2018 and forecasting 21,700 for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

I'd say they'll start looking at building different type of properties - lower spec, size and price as a result. I've viewed many beautiful new build houses at c.500k mark - hardly affordable to FTB hence more challenging to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Lower spec won't lower the cost of land and Labour.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Lower spec won't lower the cost of land and Labour.
    No it won't but it does contribute to the price....e.g. aluclad windows, walk in closets, kube kitchens surely it's not thrown in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Lots of talk of difficulty obtaining finance after the last crash. How many times salary would it have been possible to borrow around 2012/13?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lots of talk of difficulty obtaining finance after the last crash. How many times salary would it have been possible to borrow around 2012/13?

Its not that simple. As the bank could simply say no and not follow their own rules.

I know someone who was putting up 2/3 and wanted to borrow a 1/3 and had great difficulty to get a mortgage for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I know someone who was putting up 2/3 and wanted to borrow a 1/3 and had great difficulty to get a mortgage for that.

It's not to do with fractions or multiples of salary.
    It's your ability to pay back.

You could have 80% of a house value and be refused a mortgage because you can't demonstrate you can pay back the loan.

I think if you can save 2/3 the other 1/3 isn't going to be a problem. As it was this couple had joint income of at least 200k. In very secure jobs.

The point being they were well with the rules (these were the banks rules) and had difficulty getting a loan. The banks simply weren't lending.

The rules were immaterial to what loan you could get at that time. The media was full of stories of business's who couldn't get loans either.

It's not that long ago. Do people not remember?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think if you can save 2/3 the other 1/3 isn't going to problem. As it was this couple had joint income of at least 200k.

The point being they were well with the rules (these were the banks rules) and couldn't get a loan. The banks simply weren't lending.

The rules were immaterial to what loan you could get. The media was full of stories of business's who couldn't get loans either.

It's not that long ago. Do people not remember?

Banks were lending, they just changed the criteria and made it much stricter. Hence they were lending a lot less, but still lending in the right cases.

Your anecdotes aren't data. At the lowest point in 2011, Banks still gave out 2.5bn in housing loans. Outside of 2011, the lowest number of housing loans given in a year was over 17,000.

• Advertisement

My point was there wasn't hard rules as there are now. The banks had rules, lifted them, then there was the crash and afterwards it was difficult to get any loan for a whole.

If there were rules then it should be easy to quote them to answer the question asked.

https://www.thejournal.ie/banks-arent-lending-esri-report-smes-911884-May2013/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/irish-banks-second-only-to-greece-for-refusing-loans-1.732190
    https://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/irish-mortgage-market-is-flat-lining-new-lending-figures-for-q1-2011-show/
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1028663.shtml
    In 2011 mortgage approvals at 12,900 were the lowest since the 1970 total of 12,500 when the data series began.

I borrowed 270k in 2012 which was about 4 times salary, had deposit of 15% of the purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

It's not down on last year. Last year there were only 18000 completions.

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-completion-cso-2018-4482831-Feb2019/

It also isn't significantly down on estimates for this year. The same person previously estimated we would build 21,700 units this year so he revised it down by 700 units.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/housing-market-could-be-facing-a-hit-in-2019-37776825.html
    Yes, obviously scare stories about fall off in construction designed to put frighteners on Central Bank to ease the lending rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

There has been a strong increase in the number of mortgages taken out to buy homes: "10,157 mortgages were issued in the April to June period. This is a rise of 8.8pc".

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-drawdowns-jump-as-prices-ease-38340772.html

Interesting the difference. More mortgages vs perception of building slowdown (media spin?)

Interesting the difference. More mortgages vs perception of building slowdown (media spin?)

Far more 2nd hand dwellings sell each year than new houses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Building has increased on last year. The rate of growth has slowed but it's still estimated to be at about 11% year on year growth for this quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/rents-are-driven-up-as-shift-from-home-ownership-risks-pension-timebomb-38341150.html

I don't know how many times I've said it, but the rent for life thing really doesn't make sense unless you die at 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/rents-are-driven-up-as-shift-from-home-ownership-risks-pension-timebomb-38341150.html

I don't know how many times I've said it, but the rent for life thing really doesn't make sense unless you die at 66.

I think you may be looking at this too simplistic. Assume rents are less than a mortgage (in a normal market this would be the case as was in the period after the crash).

The difference between the mortgage payments and the rent could be invested in a pension which could be used to pay rent in retirement.

People do not factor in the savings from renting (in a normal market) and what they could or should be doing with those savings. It would appear people would spend rather than invest/save.

Yes renting in retirement is impossible if you are relying solely on the State Pension but with proper planning and a bit of foresight paying rent (in a normal market) is possible in retirement.

Other European countries seem to be able to do it.

• Advertisement

I think you may be looking at this too simplistic. Assume rents are less than a mortgage (in a normal market this would be the case as was in the period after the crash).

Why is this normal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement