Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 10:56   #1
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Rutland Cycling

Anybody buy a bike from them ? I was wondering are they reliable , they have bikes available ( on their websites) that are sold out elsewhere . They seem to be slow to respond to emails according to some reviews
robinwing is offline  
Advertisement
05-12-2018, 11:54   #2
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,648
just worth noting that it's quite possible negative reaction could be actionable by mods - boards.ie certainly would not want to be dragged into a fight if someone posted something that was potentially libellous.

however, positive feedback from genuine customers would be perfectly OK.
magicbastarder is offline  
05-12-2018, 12:14   #3
Macy0161
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Co. Wicklow, ~228m asl
Posts: 4,864
Never brought a bike off them, but have brought helmets and clothing without issue.
Macy0161 is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 12:43   #4
Takca
Registered User
 
Takca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sligo
Posts: 185
I bought a bike from them, here is a post from a while back when somebody asked a similar question
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...00&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takca View Post
I bought a bike from this crowd last year
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/

I got a 2016 Giant Defy 1[1] in April 2017 including delivery it cost me €770, i would have been €1,259 euro in Ireland in 2016.

The bike arrived about 2 weeks later (which was a little longer then it was supposed to take but not excessively), I had to install the front wheel and handle bars when it arrived, after that it was good to go. I also spent some time indexing the gears but I'm not sure if this was really necessary.

I've been happy with the bike ever since.

I did contact them in June about some mysterious creaking around the bottom bracket there reply was to try and get service for it (I had said I wouldn't be able to send it back), in the end the creaking went away when got cleats and changes the pedals.

[1] - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-1-2016
The bike has done about 8,000km so far, the only unexpected work I have had to do on it was having to replace the wheels, I doubt this is Rutlands fault but buying online means its on me.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied and would do it again.
Takca is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 12:47   #5
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takca View Post
I bought a bike from them, here is a post from a while back when somebody asked a similar question
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...00&postcount=3



The bike has done about 8,000km so far, the only unexpected work I have had to do on it was having to replace the wheels, I doubt this is Rutlands fault but buying online means its on me.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied and would do it again.
Thanks Tacka for your most useful response, much appreciated
robinwing is offline  
Advertisement
05-12-2018, 13:04   #6
Fighting Tao
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,049
I could have sworn that I bought from them before but I can't find any trace in my email (may have deleted). I have only heard good things about them. I think every company is a bit slow at the moment to reply to emails and dispatch items due to Black Friday sales. The world we live in at the moment means we expect responses and dispatches in double quick time. I have had some short delays from Merlin, Bikester, Wiggle and Amazon. I would still rate all of those companies very highly though.
Fighting Tao is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 14:35   #7
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Tao View Post
I could have sworn that I bought from them before but I can't find any trace in my email (may have deleted). I have only heard good things about them. I think every company is a bit slow at the moment to reply to emails and dispatch items due to Black Friday sales. The world we live in at the moment means we expect responses and dispatches in double quick time. I have had some short delays from Merlin, Bikester, Wiggle and Amazon. I would still rate all of those companies very highly though.
Cheers Tao
robinwing is offline  
05-12-2018, 14:48   #8
site_owner
Registered User
 
site_owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 551
bought various bits from them, always been good service.
have had a few returns and found the process easy.

delivery is more expensive than some places and while they offer easy UK returns postage, posting back from ireland requires paying upfront and getting postage costs back from them.

i'd recommend them anyway.
site_owner is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 14:52   #9
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Never brought a bike off them, but have brought helmets and clothing without issue.
Cheers Macy
robinwing is offline  
Advertisement
05-12-2018, 14:52   #10
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post
bought various bits from them, always been good service.
have had a few returns and found the process easy.

delivery is more expensive than some places and while they offer easy UK returns postage, posting back from ireland requires paying upfront and getting postage costs back from them.

i'd recommend them anyway.
Cheers Site Owner
robinwing is offline  
05-12-2018, 14:58   #11
joey100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,002
Bought a cannondale supersix off them, good prices and contacted me before hand to see how I wanted the brakes set up. I found them very good to deal with and very quick delivery.
joey100 is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 16:09   #12
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey100 View Post
Bought a cannondale supersix off them, good prices and contacted me before hand to see how I wanted the brakes set up. I found them very good to deal with and very quick delivery.
I ordered bike on the 28th Nov and only received receipt today. Could be backlog of black Friday orders I imagine
robinwing is offline  
05-12-2018, 16:55   #13
Stevieg2009
Registered User
 
Stevieg2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 367
Purchased clothing from them lately no issues and fast delivery
Stevieg2009 is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 19:04   #14
Tea2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Bought an MTB from them, very good price, fast dispatch and very carefully packed. The setup of the bike itself was fine, but not excellent. Cables were messy and some of the bolts weren't torqued right. They were very nice to deal with though, and their prices were excellent, so I'd happily deal with them again if the price is right, and just be willing to do a tidy up when the bike arrives.
Tea2 is offline  
Thanks from:
05-12-2018, 19:31   #15
robinwing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299

Good advice there , I will check the torque on bolts etc
robinwing is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet