Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Which route should we use
https://www.strava.com/routes/16068255 2 22.22%
https://www.strava.com/routes/15985795 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

23-11-2018, 11:15   #1
irishrover99

Evil 2019

Date: Saturday 8th June 2019(TBC)
Time: 7.15 AM (TBC)
Where: Luas Bridge Dundrum

So its that time of year again to start thinking about the hardest sportive in Ireland.
This year i'll put up two routes from the start and again we can conduct a poll to see which one we will do.
Route 1:
https://www.strava.com/routes/16068255

As usual, it will start in Dundrum on the same weekend as the Wicklow 200 and go up Sandyford road and then up Slate cabin lane out to the Blue Light. From there we will go towards Cruagh road and do a few of the climbs around Bohernabreena.
This year will have a new climb in that area which is only short at about 500m long but it will be a good test of the legs that early on.
https://www.strava.com/segments/7768934.

Then its up Ballinascorney and the over the Wicklow gap via the gap road so some extra climbing and it cuts out a part of Lake Drive.
https://www.strava.com/segments/688873

Then its down to Laragh and we do the usual loop of climbs around Shay Elliot but this year, the climb from the church in Avoca is back.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1305765

Route 2:
https://www.strava.com/routes/15985795

The start is pretty much the same until we get to gap road where we can do a loop of that climb and then come back up the Sally Gap past Kippure house and over Luggala.
This can allows us to do a loop around Devils Glen which is a nice route and it has another nasty climb in it.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1234763
Then it will be around Shay Elliot and Avoca as with route 1.

Both routes have different finishes in them with one going from the Sally Gap straight up the Featherbeds and the other needing to go up Liam Horner.

Both routes finish at the Blue Light but this can be changed to the Merry Ploughboy and it also allows you to get over the 5000m mark if you are short.

I know it might be a bit early for this thread but i'm off the bike nearly a month and bored so thought i'd get the ball rolling.
All recommendations and changes welcome.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2018, 11:17   #2
Weepsie

Permissions issue with Route 1. Can't access it. I'll say I'm in, and inevitably not do it.
23-11-2018, 11:19   #3
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepsie View Post
Permissions issue with Route 1. Can't access it. I'll say I'm in, and inevitably not do it.
Should be ok now
Thanks from:
23-11-2018, 13:01   #4
daragh_

Any of the above. I'm in.
Thanks from:
23-11-2018, 20:30   #5
devonp

prefer(the lesser of 2 evils) route 2 , anything to avoid Lake drive !, if i can make it
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2018, 21:25   #6
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonp View Post
prefer(the lesser of 2 evils) route 2 , anything to avoid Lake drive !, if i can make it
I’ve no problem with that. It would probably be my preferred route as it also gives an easier route home, up the featherbeds from sally gap.
23-11-2018, 23:42   #7
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonp View Post
... anything to avoid Lake drive...
Hear, hear!
24-11-2018, 00:04   #8
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover99 View Post
out to the Blue Light.....

.......Both routes finish at the Blue Light ...
OK, this is probably going to be embarrassing for me but I'm intrigued by this 'Blue Light'.

I'd consider myself fairly well travelled in Dublin/Wicklow and have often heard of it on Boards.ie but have no recollection of ever passing it. I had to 'Google' it to learn that it is a pub yet I have never heard of it been mentioned outside of the Boards Cycling Forum.
24-11-2018, 07:18   #9
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
OK, this is probably going to be embarrassing for me but I'm intrigued by this 'Blue Light'.

I'd consider myself fairly well travelled in Dublin/Wicklow and have often heard of it on Boards.ie but have no recollection of ever passing it. I had to 'Google' it to learn that it is a pub yet I have never heard of it been mentioned outside of the Boards Cycling Forum.
If you’ve never been than you’ll be plesently surprised when you see it.
It has the best views of Dublin that any pub can offer. Just imagine Cruagh road viewpoint been a pub, but the blue light is better.
If you know lamb Doyle’s pub which is not far from ticknock, then you’ll easily find it.
It’s well worth a visit.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-11-2018, 13:20   #10
godtabh

Never been in the Blue Light but stopped plenty of times for the view. Is it a biker pub?

I’m in
Thanks from:
24-11-2018, 15:57   #11
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
Never been in the Blue Light but stopped plenty of times for the view. Is it a biker pub?

I’m in
A lot of bikers do stop there but I don’t think you could just call it that as it’s full of all sorts.
Hope you can make it.
Thanks from:
24-11-2018, 18:26   #12
colm18

On an extended enforced absence from the bike right now but I hope to be there..this year's Evil was my best/worst/hardest/most satisfying spin yet!
(4) thanks from:
24-11-2018, 19:31   #13
Plastik

Smashing little pub, The Blue Light. Great place to stop on a summers evening for a pint on the way home.
Thanks from:
02-12-2018, 13:40   #14
christy02

Is this open to everyone? Be very interested if so. Either route. Doing la Marmotte in July so this would be a good way of proving that I'm not ready for It!!!!
Sure I'll talk a few of my travelling companions in if it's more the merrier?
02-12-2018, 15:09   #15
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy02 View Post
Is this open to everyone? Be very interested if so. Either route. Doing la Marmotte in July so this would be a good way of proving that I'm not ready for It!!!!
Sure I'll talk a few of my travelling companions in if it's more the merrier?
Anyone is welcome and yes the more the merrier.
It’s free and while we usually try stay together, in the end it’s every man for himself if you get my drift, obviously any accidents would be different.

If you can do this then the marmotte will be handy for you.

Last edited by irishrover99; 02-12-2018 at 15:32.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion