Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

A nice fella from Dublin Cycling Campaign was giving out free lights to cyclists at the Five Lamps (Amiens Street) yesterday. Strange feeling to see cyclists that couldn't be bothered to buy lights queuing up for the freebies. Still good work from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Mike1961 wrote: »
    A nice fella from Dublin Cycling Campaign was giving out free lights to cyclists at the Five Lamps (Amiens Street) yesterday. Strange feeling to see cyclists that couldn't be bothered to buy lights queuing up for the freebies. Still good work from DCC.

Be devils advocate here.

I genuinely believe there is an issue with foreign students who come here - they don't have a bean once they get here (after shelling out gigantic costs for tuition, accommodation and travel).

Maybe they live in Santry, and their buddy lives in Fairview. Not that far but we know, public transport takes forever. And so they get some cheap bike for 50 euro or less; a 21 or 22 year old living off a budget of maybe 100 euro a week spending money. They are only over for a few months anyway. Are they really going to spend 40 of that on a decent set of bike lights.

There are more than 50'000 international students studying English in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sitting at a red light in clonskeagh heading into ranelagh today and I counted 13 cyclists going through a red whilst people tried to walk across at the crossing. Oh and one idiot on a scooter

Id like to see 13 cars going through a red light dodging pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

why would you like that? how many articulated lorries would you like to see do it? buses?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sitting at a red light in clonskeagh heading into ranelagh today and I counted 13 cyclists going through a red whilst people tried to walk across at the crossing. Oh and one idiot on a scooter

The only thing stopping cars is that it becomes a physical impossibility for more than one or 2 to squeeze through. Doesn't stop them from trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

a bug bear of mine and most conscientious cyclists here I'd imagine. i like to think that most invested in cycling, be it leisure or racing abide by and respect the rules of the road. Commuting in Dublin is a different animal, I agree here, I'd likely see 80% run red lights on my way. there is a proportionate number who would seem to use the bike daily only as a means of transport and have no mass in road rules; the dog eat dog/be there on time rules apply only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    The only thing stopping cars is that it becomes a physical impossibility for more than one or 2 to squeeze through. Doesn't stop them from trying.
    Whites Cross this morning I counted 5 cars/ SUV's entering the junction from Newtown Park Avenue after red.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Try counting cars breaking the speed limit, and see if you get to stop at 13?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Be devils advocate here.

I genuinely believe there is an issue with foreign students who come here - they don't have a bean once they get here (after shelling out gigantic costs for tuition, accommodation and travel).

There are more than 50'000 international students studying English in Dublin.
    I know Donnybrook Garda station actively sought out students from abroad, who had entered UCD via a Visa, they talked to the student adviser and arranged a meeting with them a few years ago to explain things like this, what was expected etc. as, just like you, they perceived that there was a large number of students, who out of ignorance rather than bad manners, did not have lights. While I thought it was a good initiative, my own experience passing that olace is that there is no difference, plenty of rural and city folk from Ireland going in and out without a care in the world, hopping up and down off pavements, no lights etc. It is an age and possibly an ego thing. They believe they are smarter, quicker, faster, whether they know the law or not, they don't perceive the danger, therefore it does not exist in their mind. Was I any better, probably not, I had lights cause my Dad had made us use bottle dynamos as a kid but there were plenty of nights I probably didn't.

The problem escalates as the RSA and others convince them that Hi Vis is the answer to that near miss they had, not the poor infrastructure or the lack of attention the driver was paying. When they don the sacred vest of yellow, they feel those few close calls they had are no longer a risk, or even worse, they feel safer hopping up and down off pavements and going through lights.

Not a reasonable comparison, for the simple fact, once one car stops,everyone behind them as the choice taken out of their hands, so you cannot say for certain how many would have went through. There are several stories here of stopping on a red that changed a few seconds before and the driver behind beeping to give out that you stopped, ie you took the choice out of their hands. Cycling is different, I often see 12 people stopped at a set of lights and someone goes around and through with ease.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Whites Cross this morning I counted 5 cars/ SUV's entering the junction from Newtown Park Avenue after red.
    Everytime I am heading southbound, I find myself hand off the bars shrugging as I wait for cars to stop coming through when I get a green light. Its not like there is even a straight switch, there is a pause between there red and my green to le them clear the junction and yet still, we all must wait for that last car to gun it across the junction.

Reminds me of that old picture of "new" safety device in cars that improved driving dramatically and it was a spear, pointing out of the steering wheel and at the drivers chest. You want lights to work, bar putting cameras up, the other option is to fit a set of spikes that raise out of the ground as soon as a light goes red, you'd never have anyone risk breaking an amber again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

On a 4k round trip in wet conditions last night (Mount Merrion-Dundrum). I had close calls with three black clad unlit cyclists and saw (luckily for them) at least five more.

Its a bloody plague and I see neither publicity or enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

First Up wrote: »
    On a 4k round trip in wet conditions last night (Mount Merrion-Dundrum). I had close calls with three black clad unlit cyclists and saw (luckily for them) at least five more.

You did see them so well done.

I have a story about a dark grey van I saw last night with no lights and multiple cars with no rear lights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you think someone is a troll, report the post.

Don't call it out on thread as it just derails the thread and counts as backseat moderation.

You did see them so well done.

I have a story about a dark grey van I saw last night with no lights and multiple cars with no rear lights.

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Couldn't agree more

Sadly, the lack of road law enforcement is the plague. Enforcement changes bad habits. Lack of enforcement reinforces bad habits.

Couldn't agree more

Sadly, the lack of road law enforcement is the plague. Enforcement changes bad habits. Lack of enforcement reinforces bad habits.
    Agree. Appealing to the responsibility of motorists is futile and so it seems is appealing to the intelligence or self preservation instincts if cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's a bloody plague and I see neither publicity or enforcement.

Have you considered writing to you local TD and requesting more resources for the Gardai to enforce the ROTR? or Maybe a protest outside his office or the local Garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Agree. Appealing to the responsibility of motorists is futile and so it seems is appealing to the intelligence or self preservation instincts if cyclists.

How many of the cyclists are motorists? Considering there is a massive increase in the number of cyclists now, I would say alot are also motorists at various stages during the week, but things are not improving on the road!!

How many of the cyclists are motorists? Considering there is a massive increase in the number of cyclists now, I would say alot are also motorists at various stages during the week, but things are not improving on the road!!
    Maybe some of the motorists with broken headlights are also unlit cyclists wearing dark colours.

07Lapierre wrote: »

It's a bloody plague and I see neither publicity or enforcement.

Have you considered writing to you local TD and requesting more resources for the Gardai to enforce the ROTR? or Maybe a protest outside his office or the local Garda station?
    I have made the point to several of my TDs, including a Green.

I have made the point to several of my TDs, including a Green.

Well done you! Enforcement of all ROTR for all road users is badly needed.

• Advertisement

Do you ever wonder why these 'close calls' with cyclists aren't reflected in the road death or serious injury statistics?

Do you ever wonder why these 'close calls' with cyclists aren't reflected in the road death or serious injury statistics?

I'm not sure that they aren't but if you are suggesting that unlit cyclists wearing dark clothes on wet winter nights are not a hazard to themselves or others, I'd be interested to know why.

I can only speak about my own close calls and the reason was alertness on my part and in one instance, speedy use of the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Real life - “I saw”

Log on to boards.ie - “I had a close call"

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Real life - “I saw”

Log on to boards.ie - “I had a close call"
    The cyclists had them too.

I'm not sure that they aren't but if you are suggesting that unlit cyclists wearing dark clothes on wet winter nights are not a hazard to themselves or others, I'd be interested to know why.

I can only speak about my own close calls and the reason was alertness on my part and in one instance, speedy use of the brakes.

I'm sure they don't show up in the road safety statistics to any significant degree. Last year, two out of fifteen cyclists deaths occurred after dark. It's just not a significant issue. Your anecdotal experience does not make this a significant safety issue.

Did you notice many motorists breaking the speed limit on your trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd very rarely challenge other cyclists regarding lights but did so on Monday morning.

Caught up with a cyclist on a rural unlit road in north County Dublin shortly after 6am (still very dark). He had a front light but no rear.

As I was passing I noticed that he had a rear light but it wasn't on so I said in a diplomatic way "Your rear lights seems to have gone off".

"Ah yea", he replied "I don't bother with it until I get to Dublin, but thanks anyway".

I was lost for words.

I'm sure they don't show up in the road safety statistics to any significant degree. Last year, two out of fifteen cyclists deaths occurred after dark. It's just not a significant issue. Your anecdotal experience does not make this a significant safety issue.

In heavy traffic on a wet evening, no I didn't see many motorists breaking the speed limit but I wouldn't defend them if I did.

You on the other hand seem to be defending cyclists without lights or high-viz clothing and I'm wondering why.

Not all cyclist accidents result in deaths but I am intrigued at the attitude on display here. If an unlit cyclist is knocked over because he is virtually invisible, who do you think is responsible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to balance your point, this only gives merit to the motorists (of which I am one) for their awareness and care on the roads.

Unlit cyclists need to cop on to the fact that they are next to invisible on suburban roads, especially when there is oncoming traffic (cars with lights on).

It beggars belief that they take risks like this.

Steve wrote: »
    Just to balance your point, this only gives merit to the motorists (of which I am one) for their awareness and care on the roads.

Unlit cyclists need to cop on to the fact that they are next to invisible on suburban roads, especially when there is oncoming traffic (cars with lights on).

It beggars belief that they take risks like this.

My commute is both rural and urban roads and I regularly pass a cyclist on rural, unlit roads, who has no lights and wears dark clothing!

Never underestimate some people's stupidity.

• Advertisement

In heavy traffic on a wet evening, no I didn't see many motorists breaking the speed limit but I wouldn't defend them if I did.

The important question isn't so much about who defends what, but who chooses to get excited about what.

Motorists kill 3 or 4 people each week on the roads and maim many more. 60% - 80% of motorists break speed limits in the RSA Speed Survey. Speeding is one of the top three causes of road deaths.

Do you think that maybe your top priority should be to get your fellow motorists to slow down and stop killing people before you start jumping up and down about unlit cyclists?
    You on the other hand seem to be defending cyclists without lights or high-viz clothing and I'm wondering why.
    Where exactly did I defend cyclists without lights? A specific quote would be great.

Not all cyclist accidents result in deaths but I am intrigued at the attitude on display here. If an unlit cyclist is knocked over because he is virtually invisible, who do you think is responsible?

Generally I find it more productive to focus on the real world rather than hypotheticals. In the real world, you have incidents like this where a cyclist with lights and hi-vis got run down and killed by a bus driver.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-driver-cyclist-death-4335560-Nov2018/

If you actually want to reduce road deaths, get motorists to slow down, put their phones down and put their pints down.

If you want to divert attention from the real dangers on the road, you can jump up and down about ninja cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement