Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-11-2018, 20:30   #1
pomgh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Cyclists

I am a cyclist and a car user, yet everyday as I driver to and from work at 5am I see cyclists with no lights front or back. They are putting themselves in danger and others also. I have written to the RSA and they have ignored this issue I have highlighted to them. These cyclists are cycling on back roads with no lights either. The road traffic regulations clearly state that cyclists must have working lights on their bikes, yet a lot of them put themselves in danger and others as well as pedestrians by not following a simple rule. 
The RSA have on radio and TV highlighted to give cyclists space on the road, cycle lanes, but have not once highlighted to cyclists that they like other vehicle users to have working lights on their bikes between the hours of dusk to dawn especially now that we are again in these dark evenings. The Gardaí are to blame also for not implementing the law for they will stop a car user, but I have never heard of a Garda stopping a cyclist....I am missing something here.....does it have to take a cyclist to get killed before the RSA / Gardaí broadcast this ever so important information for all?
pomgh is offline  
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 15:35   #2
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee
 
Boards.ie: Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,069
Hi pomgh,

I've moved your thread across to the Cycling forum and deleted posts that were made when it was in the other forum.
Boards.ie: Mark is offline  
Thanks from:
12-11-2018, 15:36   #3
Fighting Tao
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,049
You are missing something...there are idiots using all modes of transport. There is also a lack of enforcement of laws in this country and that’s not just applicable to cyclists.
Fighting Tao is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 15:44   #4
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,117
Congrats on seeing all those invisible cyclists.

You may never have seen a Garda stopping a cyclist, but it does happen all the time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/nearly-600-cyclists-fined-under-new-penalty-regime-1.2631593

If you really do want to improve safety for cyclists, the best thing you can do is to work with your fellow motorists to get them to slow down and put their phones down. That would save lives for many motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

All but 1 of the cyclist deaths on the road last year occurred in daylight.
AndrewJRenko is offline  
12-11-2018, 15:54   #5
greenspurs
Registered User
 
greenspurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kilkenny
Posts: 2,910
probably moved from the troll-fest that is AfterHours....
OP will be disappointed as there wont be as many trolls in here ........
greenspurs is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 15:58   #6
Wildly Boaring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
probably moved from the troll-fest that is AfterHours....
OP will be disappointed as there wont be as many trolls in here ........
Actually moved from Sky TV.
OP new or not a fan of the Sky train
Wildly Boaring is offline  
12-11-2018, 16:34   #7
Fighting Tao
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
probably moved from the troll-fest that is AfterHours....
OP will be disappointed as there wont be as many trolls in here ........
It was my initial thought too.
Fighting Tao is offline  
12-11-2018, 16:40   #8
average_runner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Congrats on seeing all those invisible cyclists.

You may never have seen a Garda stopping a cyclist, but it does happen all the time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...gime-1.2631593

If you really do want to improve safety for cyclists, the best thing you can do is to work with your fellow motorists to get them to slow down and put their phones down. That would save lives for many motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

All but 1 of the cyclist deaths on the road last year occurred in daylight.
But how many serious injuries occured in daylight? Its not all about deaths.
Stats can hide everything.
average_runner is offline  
12-11-2018, 16:42   #9
buffalo
Registered User
 
buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_runner View Post
But how many serious injuries occured in daylight?
I don't know, how many?
buffalo is offline  
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 16:47   #10
incentsitive
Registered User
 
incentsitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomgh View Post
I am a cyclist and a car user, yet everyday as I driver to and from work at 5am I see cyclists with no lights front or back. They are putting themselves in danger and others also. I have written to the RSA and they have ignored this issue I have highlighted to them. These cyclists are cycling on back roads with no lights either. The road traffic regulations clearly state that cyclists must have working lights on their bikes, yet a lot of them put themselves in danger and others as well as pedestrians by not following a simple rule. 
The RSA have on radio and TV highlighted to give cyclists space on the road, cycle lanes, but have not once highlighted to cyclists that they like other vehicle users to have working lights on their bikes between the hours of dusk to dawn especially now that we are again in these dark evenings. The Gardaí are to blame also for not implementing the law for they will stop a car user, but I have never heard of a Garda stopping a cyclist....I am missing something here.....does it have to take a cyclist to get killed before the RSA / Gardaí broadcast this ever so important information for all?
I don't want to turn this thread into a cyclist v car debate. Yawn, been done before.
I am a cyclist, I can't cycle to work as it is too far but boy do I wish I could!
I have had several close ones with these heroes - black jacket, no lights, on my commute.
I have occasionally (when I am cycling) said it to other cyclists, I might as well have saved my energy and have been met with a barrage of abuse back "who do I think I am to tell them what to do". I won't be doing it again. Not worth the stresss.
The difference between a well lit cyclist and a cyclist relying on street lights is simply incredible.

But yep, just like every other road law applying to any road user, it is a waste of time unless it is enforced.
incentsitive is offline  
(4) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 16:48   #11
seamus
Dental Plan!
 
seamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: :getName()
Posts: 59,418
Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomgh View Post
The RSA have on radio and TV highlighted to give cyclists space on the road, cycle lanes, but have not once highlighted to cyclists that they like other vehicle users to have working lights on their bikes between the hours of dusk to dawn especially now that we are again in these dark evenings.
This is probably a fair observation. Granted, I can't say I watch TV with ads much any more, but it does seem to me that advisories with this in mind are pretty thin on the ground.

Part of the problem is that the RSA are too focussed on hi-vis rather than lighting. There is no excuse these days for riding without lights, especially in urban areas. Good, USB-rechargeable lights don't cost very much and modern dynamo lights, like you get on Dublin Bikes, aren't noisy and painful like friction dynamos used to be.

But the RSA still persist on telling people to wear hi-vis like it's some substitution for lights, and every now and again handing out pathetic lights to 50 people that will end up in the bin once the batteries run out.

A series of ads aimed at all road users, especially around this time of year, would be a good idea. Even during the day, it can be dark enough to need lights and rain is a disaster, yet you see all sorts of road users with lights either off or not working. You generally don't see any ads about this.

Quote:
The Gardaí are to blame also for not implementing the law for they will stop a car user
They won't though. You see people driving around with one light or no lights, all the time. It seems to have gotten way worse in urban areas, I don't know what it is.

No word of a lie, I've heard of more people being stopped for cycling without lights than stopped for a broken headlight. Neither are things the Gardai seem to give much focus on.
seamus is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 16:52   #12
Mike1961
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 202
Ah lads come one. The point is valid ... and is made around this time every year. I cycle home every day and it always annoys me ... (just about) seeing the many cyclists with ne'er a light.

I think I've moaned here before that the gardai don't kick in with extra checks when the clocks go back.
Mike1961 is offline  
12-11-2018, 17:08   #13
average_runner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
I don't know, how many?
That's why I am asking. We always seem to refer to deaths, but forget about the life changing injuries etc.

My brother was unconscious for over two weeks after an accident on his bike. He eventually recovered but the stress our family went through, will he/ or not make it.
average_runner is offline  
12-11-2018, 17:36   #14
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1961 View Post
Ah lads come one. The point is valid ... and is made around this time every year. I cycle home every day and it always annoys me ... (just about) seeing the many cyclists with ne'er a light.

I think I've moaned here before that the gardai don't kick in with extra checks when the clocks go back.
The question isn't whether the point is valid.

The question is, of all the issues on the road that need action, where abouts on the priority list of all valid issues is this one?

I don't think it is in the top 20. I'm not sure it is in the top 50.

I often wonder why the creativity and motivation of many motorists in coming up with ideas to 'fix' cycling and cyclists is not applied to fixing the real danger on the roads - the motorists who kill three or four people each week and maim many more.
AndrewJRenko is offline  
(4) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 17:41   #15
jjpep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 478
Anytime I see someone do something stupid on a bike I feel a little bit thankful that that person is not in charge of something bigger...
jjpep is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search