Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2017, 23:47   #16
Eamonnator

I've tried it with the valve core removed and CO2.
I haven't tried with the wheel in the air.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-12-2017, 23:51   #17
rollingscone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonnator View Post
Would one of those tubeless pumps give me more pressure than a garage pump?
No but it makes it a less stressful experience than blowing through c02.

If it's not popping odds are it's a problem with the tyre or the rim. Can you try another combination?

Maybe try the tube first though...
Thanks from:
10-12-2017, 23:59   #18
Eamonnator

I've been trying with the rear wheel only. I'll give the front wheel a lash tomorrow and take it from there.
On a side note. About four years ago, I tried to make a Zonda wheel tubeless , using a non tubeless Schwalbe tyre. I got it to inflate without any bother. I was afraid to try it out on the road.
11-12-2017, 08:53   #19
TooObvious

Find somebody with an Airshot and borrow it: - http://www.airshotltd.com/

I've managed to get 3 inch wide tubeless tyres to inflate using it so it should work for your skinnies.
11-12-2017, 09:31   #20
topcat77

Had the same problem myself one time. I had to seat it with a tube first, remove the tube carefully leaving one side still seated and should then work a treat.
Advertisement
11-12-2017, 11:18   #21
brownian

Jeepers. I got mine fitted on, when I bought tubeless-ready wheels. The Schwalbes are meant to be 'tubeless easy' - now you have me worried!

Mind you, so long as the sealant keeps working its magic....
11-12-2017, 15:00   #22
axer

Looking at getting a Giant Contend that comes with tubeless tyres. Would tubeless tyres be as good as the likes of GP 4 Seasons tyres that have a kevlar lining when cycling around Dublin city? I was planning on swapping the tyres straight away but now I'm not so sure.
11-12-2017, 18:27   #23
brownian

The theory is that any small punctures (thorns, that sort of thing) will auto-seal quickly enough that you can keep riding, or just stop and give a few strokes of the pump. That worked for me last weekend, but a sample of one event is not strong evidence yet. Bigger holes you plug with an 'anchovy' (a bit of rubber stringy stuff, that you push into the hole with a tiny fork - google it!)

You should get no pinch flats, as there's no tube to pinch. In Dublin, with it's less-than-silky roads, I'd expect this to be a big plus.

If you do get a puncture that the system fails to fix, then you have an issue, as you have to fight the tyre off, fit a tube, fight it back on (they tend to be tight, I hear) and ride it home as a 'normal' tyre. Then look again at a repair.

In your position, I'd ride the tubeless until it gave me trouble, then consider going tubed, or not, depending on how long the tubeless was a positive experience. Which is pretty much what I plan on doing myself.
11-12-2017, 20:40   #24
Alek

Just don't forget to take out these thorns that auto sealed previously, before you insert the tube. Been there, done that.... ðŸ˜
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-12-2017, 20:55   #25
andy69

isn't this just basically the sealant that is doing the 'magic' here no? My wife won't change a tyre, no way, not interested, not gonna happen. I put tubes in her tyres with sealant and they've been working grand for years. Simple tyre and tube combo (weighs a ton, but she doesn't care). No messing with trying to seal tubless tyres on rims or any of that faffing around.

what's the advantage of tubeless, is it just the weight saving?

anyway, for the record we use GP4 Season - they're on all her (and my) bikes. I don't use the sealant and could count the punctures on one hand over the last 7yrs or so that I've been using them (10k a year on avg).
Wife got two punctures over that time, but she has a strange aversion to not bothering to go round gunk on the road like I would instinctively do

I'm maybe missing something but can't really see the point other than mabe the weight thing?
11-12-2017, 21:34   #26
ian_rush

Quote:
I've been trying with the rear wheel only. I'll give the front wheel a lash tomorrow and take it from there.
On a side note. About four years ago, I tried to make a Zonda wheel tubeless , using a non tubeless Schwalbe tyre. I got it to inflate without any bother. I was afraid to try it out on the road.
Not sure if it is the case with Prime but with Wiggle's Cosine, "tubeless ready" wheelset it required removing the rim tape that came with the wheel and replacing it this stuff, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod160519. My school boy error was initially trying to put the schwalbe tape over the pre-installed rim tape, which had similar symptoms to what you describe.
Thanks from:
11-12-2017, 22:01   #27
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_rush View Post
Not sure if it is the case with Prime but with Wiggle's Cosine, "tubeless ready" wheelset it required removing the rim tape that came with the wheel and replacing it this stuff, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod160519. My school boy error was initially trying to put the schwalbe tape over the pre-installed rim tape, which had similar symptoms to what you describe.
From the link above

"Tubeless tape (Installed)"
Thanks from:
11-12-2017, 23:42   #28
harringtonp

Quote:
During the summer, i got a set of Prime carbon wheels, which are tubeless ready. I used them with regular tubes and tyres.
Last month, I decided to go tubeless. I bought a pair of Schwalbe Pro 1s. I put them on(with great difficulty) but I cannot get them to inflate. I've used washing up liquid to try and get them to seal. I tried copious amounts of sealant(60ml per tyre). I used a track pump, CO2 canisters and I even brought them to my local car tyre fitter, who used his compressor type inflator.
Nothing has worked.
Did you have any trouble installing?
And can you give me any advice?
You're not alone. I had similar problems, gave up and went latex with light fast tyres. Blew a tyre and damaged the rim so rather than sending just one wheel back for rebuild, I sent both along with the Schwalbe Pro Ones and got the wheelbuilder to fit them. I've since bought a Lifeline Airblast and will get a chance to use it when adding more sealant next Spring. I've decided that if its not working easily I'll go to somebody and watch and see how they fit them.
Thanks from:
12-12-2017, 09:52   #29
aworthycause

If the tire isn't popping in you have one of two issues. Either the air isn't going in quickly enough to push the tire on all the way round in a single instant, or you have a leak. If it is a leak it's a big one, as the tire would pop on with just a small leak.

An inflator makes the first installation so much easier. It has the required pressure and force to pop the tire on. It's not essential in every installation. Some tire / rim combos will inflate first go with a pump. But that's just luck.

It's possible the leak is caused by the tire being on the ground as you inflate. Hang it off something, door handle another bike's handlebars, so there is no pressure on it. This is only necessary if the bead is not hooked (ie first inflation after installing the tire). The other probable leak is the valve. Is it tightened on all the way?

Also, a word of warning on CO2. The inflators work great, but come back and pump it with a regular air pump over the first few days to replace the CO2. CO2 leaks over time, much quicker than air.
(2) thanks from:
12-12-2017, 11:29   #30
El Vino

Also with a CO2 inflator have the valve at the highest point think 12 o clock so the CO2 goes in as far away from the sealant as possible some sealants don't react well to the icy blast from CO2 inflators. 

Mostly when I have an issue it is at the valve, might be worth putting some suds around the outside to see if there is a leak there. 
Something which a shop mechanic told me which has worked well, after adding sealant but before inflation let the wheel rest horizontally on each side for half an hour, as level as you can make it. 
Tyres that refused to inflate before doing this worked well after.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion