Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2017, 15:26   #1
brownian

Tubeless road - it actually works

I got my first puncture on my Schwalbe Pro One tubeless setup today. Naturally, it was freezing and raining.

I noticed the back wheel felt a bit soft, so I stopped and squeezed it. Sure enough, deffo losing/lost air. Rode on a bit, hoping it'd self-seal, like the theory says.

Five minutes later, had another squeeze. Seems stable. Whip out the pump, lash in some air, so it feels properly hard again (70 PSI? Hard to say in the rain etc., but certainly good to ride).

Four hours later (snow, slush, water, even the odd bit of tarmac), safely home. There is a nasty little cut in the tyre, but no air coming out at all.

While I'm at it - the tubeless do seem to be faster than my usual Conti GP4000sIIs. Certainly hitting a lot of strave PMs without obvious additional effort. The new tubeless wheels are 33mm rims (AL33s), and so a bit more aero, in theory than the 22mm climbing wheels I'd usually use (and also about 350g heavier). I can't see the rims making a big difference (happy to be corrected), so inclined to credit the tubeless.

Anyway, that's just for anyone considering going tubeless - all my experience (maybe 500km) to date is positive.
Advertisement
10-12-2017, 16:29   #2
Eamonnator

During the summer, i got a set of Prime carbon wheels, which are tubeless ready. I used them with regular tubes and tyres.
Last month, I decided to go tubeless. I bought a pair of Schwalbe Pro 1s. I put them on(with great difficulty) but I cannot get them to inflate. I've used washing up liquid to try and get them to seal. I tried copious amounts of sealant(60ml per tyre). I used a track pump, CO2 canisters and I even brought them to my local car tyre fitter, who used his compressor type inflator.
Nothing has worked.
Did you have any trouble installing?
And can you give me any advice?
10-12-2017, 18:33   #3
rollingscone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonnator View Post
During the summer, i got a set of Prime carbon wheels, which are tubeless ready. I used them with regular tubes and tyres.
Last month, I decided to go tubeless. I bought a pair of Schwalbe Pro 1s. I put them on(with great difficulty) but I cannot get them to inflate. I've used washing up liquid to try and get them to seal. I tried copious amounts of sealant(60ml per tyre). I used a track pump, CO2 canisters and I even brought them to my local car tyre fitter, who used his compressor type inflator.
Nothing has worked.
The GCN tubeless tutorial covers basically everything.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2017, 19:10   #4
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingscone View Post
The GCN tubeless tutorial covers basically everything.
It doesn't cover Stupid, which until now, I didn't know I was. I've tried all that, still no good. It's cracking me up. I wouldn't mind, but I used tubeless tyre on MTBs for years without any hassle.
(3) thanks from:
10-12-2017, 19:40   #5
columbus_66

Quote:
Nothing has worked.
The compressor should work. If you can squeeze the tyre against the rim with your hands you can get each side of the valve inflated and then move your hands around and it should inflate fully. I had to use the compressor a few times as a last resort but it always worked.
Advertisement
10-12-2017, 19:56   #6
iwillhtfu

Are you positive you got tubeless ready rims. Manufacturers often make one of each and it wouldn't be entirely unbelievable to be sent the wrong type. There;s not a huge amount of skill required to seat them. Where is the air escaping from? Are they sealed rims?
10-12-2017, 20:16   #7
Eamonnator

These are the wheels

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod142949

I'm feeling more and more stupid by the minute.

The beads won't move towards the sides of the rims. Air escapes pretty much all around the rim.

Sorry O.P. for derailing your thread.
10-12-2017, 20:20   #8
iwillhtfu

Quote:
These are the wheels

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod142949

I'm feeling more and more stupid by the minute.

The beads won't move towards the sides of the rims. Air escapes pretty much all around the rim.

Sorry O.P. for derailing your thread.
Tubeless ready alright. Have you tried seating the tyre without sealant then you can remove the valve core and add sealant afterwards?

Perhaps try seating them with a tube first.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2017, 20:30   #9
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillhtfu View Post
Tubeless ready alright. Have you tried seating the tyre without sealant then you can remove the valve core and add sealant afterwards?

Perhaps try seating them with a tube first.
I tried that. I haven't tried seating them with a tube.
I'll try that tomorrow.
Advertisement
10-12-2017, 22:32   #10
rollingscone

Quote:
It doesn't cover Stupid, which until now, I didn't know I was. I've tried all that, still no good. It's cracking me up. I wouldn't mind, but I used tubeless tyre on MTBs for years without any hassle.
I picked up one of the tubeless pumps cheep-cheep took all of the stress out of it.

Also injecting sealant through the valve.

It's getting the tyre on the bead that's the issue 9 times out of 10. Did you ever hear it popping into place?
10-12-2017, 23:14   #11
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingscone View Post
I picked up one of the tubeless pumps cheep-cheep took all of the stress out of it.

Also injecting sealant through the valve.

It's getting the tyre on the bead that's the issue 9 times out of 10. Did you ever hear it popping into place?
No popping.
I've tried injecting the sealant through the valve. Sealant goes in, but doesn't help..
Thanks from:
10-12-2017, 23:18   #12
Eamonnator

Would one of those tubeless pumps give me more pressure than a garage pump?
10-12-2017, 23:26   #13
Alek

Try some soapy water around the bead, after the tyre is already mounted and before inflating. Gives additional sealing.
10-12-2017, 23:29   #14
secman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek View Post
Try some soapy water around the bead, after the tyre is already mounted and before inflating. Gives additional sealing.
Alek... he tried That, see OP original post...seems he's tried everything possible... even a compressor !
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2017, 23:41   #15
Alek

How about removing the valve core for the first inflation and using CO2, which has most likely the best kick (I'm ready to be corrected here)?

Also, I tend to keep the tyre in the air when seating tubeless, to avoid flattening the tyre on the bottom.

If all this fails, your wheels must be dud. I'll take them from you no problem.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion