Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-12-2018, 12:08   #6676
schemingbohemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin d View Post
That last guy in the van sums up the daily experience. I've been driving in the city very early in the morning a lot recently and the red light situation needs critical attention now. Multiples of cars breaking literally every last one of the red lights I come to even before rush hour.

I was driving through roadworks on the N2 in Monaghan a few weeks back, and approaching the road workers' traffic lights you crest a small hill and they come into view about 7 or 8 cars in front when in traffic. When I crested the hill the light was fully red but every single car in front of me broke it, AND the guy behind me screeched around me to break it too when I had the gall to stop. When I got the green a minute later I had to wait fully fifteen seconds to allow all the gob****es who broke it coming the other way to clear the road, so the cycle continued. The "I'm alright, Jack" attitude is absolutely ingrained in drivers these days.

Painting yellow boxes, stop lines and ASLs must almost be a satirical joke by the council at this point. It's not even enough to park in cycle lanes now either, the amount of completely blocked footpaths I see all over the place is at epidemic levels.

Large scale garda intervention is essential at this point to curb driver behaviour.
I saw a Garda car blithely drive past 8 cars and 4 vans parked in the bus lane on Camden Street the other day, not a single f*ck given.
I also nearly got into an argument with a Garda, fed up with a load of cars in the bus lane, there was one ahead of me that was inching into driving lane having driven 300m in the bus lane with a garda car behind, she mouthed "not my problem" to me when I pointed it out to her, if my wife hadn't been in the car with me i'd have gotten out and asked her to do her job.
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 12:17   #6677
site_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin d View Post
AND the guy behind me screeched around me to break it too when I had the gall to stop.
I've started breaking reds on the bike for the first time in years when on certain roads because of this. One of the times i stop i know the car behind wont swerve and I'll be mince. If i stop at cerrain reds i get 2 cars at least that will speed past me.
07-12-2018, 12:42   #6678
What Username Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post
I've started breaking reds on the bike for the first time in years when on certain roads because of this. One of the times i stop i know the car behind wont swerve and I'll be mince. If i stop at cerrain reds i get 2 cars at least that will speed past me.
One of the worst near misses for me was a few years back at harolds cross bridge inbound. Light had gone red so I slowed to stop and stupidly made the assumption the cars behind me would too. I began to shift over into the middle of the advanced stop box when the van behind which had sped up to break the light brushed past. I'm talking millisconds or millimetres in the difference and I'd be gone. Must have been doing north of 60 and the first cars crossing along the canal had even started moving when he sped through.

Had a decent sit down after that before continuing the journey.
07-12-2018, 12:53   #6679
Ray Bloody Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Username Guidelines View Post
One of the worst near misses for me was a few years back at harolds cross bridge inbound. Light had gone red so I slowed to stop and stupidly made the assumption the cars behind me would too. I began to shift over into the middle of the advanced stop box when the van behind which had sped up to break the light brushed past. I'm talking millisconds or millimetres in the difference and I'd be gone. Must have been doing north of 60 and the first cars crossing along the canal had even started moving when he sped through.

Brandy. Have a glass of brandy after that.

Or a fcuking bottle.
07-12-2018, 13:12   #6680
What Username Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bloody Purchase View Post
Brandy. Have a glass of brandy after that.

Or a fcuking bottle.
Yep! This was years ago, but even after countless close passes and a couple of actual hits, this one stands out in my mind as the scariest, and I doubt the van driver even noticed.

My wife has never been a fan of me cycling (Father in law hit on his bike years back in hit and run and spent a long time in hospital recovering) - but this was the only time I actually properly considered if it was worth it to continue.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 13:14   #6681
Thinkingaboutit

Quote:

A fear of mine. I tell myself to never trust another road user beyond the evidence of what I see, and what could happen, but surely read usually means stop, which it doesn't for a few like quite a few vans or members of the automotive self love crew.
07-12-2018, 14:29   #6682
Tomred13

So a strange near miss

Was coming back from a howth spin last Saturday, heading down parnell st onto the corner of capel st and I see a group of well dressed men all in their 50s and older. As I approach them, one of them stepped to the corner of the curb and threw a punch at me. Luckily I ducked n wobbled out of the way, stopped n shouted back a "what d f##k " and got no acknowledment at all. Was in shock. Live a couple of doors away so ran home dropped bike and put on jeans n shoes ( I find lycra and sidi's are not the best grear for fistycuffs ) and ran out to find the son of a Witch with the intention of calling the garda. Unfortunately they were gone. If he had connected with me he would have flattened me. Be careful out there..some total loons about in cars n on foot..
07-12-2018, 17:00   #6683
What Username Guidelines

Looks like an off road segregated cycle track

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/s...939379200?s=21
Thanks from:
07-12-2018, 17:10   #6684
rubadub

Quote:
Looks like an off road segregated cycle track

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/s...939379200?s=21
I did not recgonise it at first, it said Rochestown avenue. I can see now it is at the graduate pub roundabout, on "the new road" R118 which I think is called the Sallyglen road, goes to the old deerhunter roundabout.

https://goo.gl/maps/zHS6d7HKP3P2
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 17:25   #6685
Alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
I did not recgonise it at first, it said Rochestown avenue. I can see now it is at the graduate pub roundabout, on "the new road" R118 which I think is called the Sallyglen road, goes to the old deerhunter roundabout.

https://goo.gl/maps/zHS6d7HKP3P2
Good catch. Used to live about 2 minutes from that spot. Can't understand how they've ended up like that... it's so close to the roundabout, at a guess I'd say they were flying around and lost traction coming off. They took out the 60km/h speed limit sign in the process.
Thanks from:
07-12-2018, 18:55   #6686
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post

I was turning right from Harold's Cross to Grove Road when a charming lady in an Audi whacked my left elbow with her wing mirror in her mad rush to get to the back of the next queue of cars.
10-12-2018, 10:34   #6687
mr spuckler

cycling up Haddington rd this morning, a large Transit van skimmed past me, I reached out and hit the side a thump. cue hard braking, window down, 3 builders shouting abuse at me. I cycled on past, they came past me at speed again, then he decided to swerve in and brake test me. will wait to see this evening if it looks as bad on camera as it felt in person before reporting.
10-12-2018, 15:35   #6688
Hurrache

Shamelessly stolen from the Motors dashcam thread
10-12-2018, 19:43   #6689
Mickiemcfist

Jesus my heart from just watching that. Mind boggling.
10-12-2018, 19:55   #6690
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr spuckler View Post
cycling up Haddington rd this morning, a large Transit van skimmed past me, I reached out and hit the side a thump. cue hard braking, window down, 3 builders shouting abuse at me.
Trick is to thump it once, stop and hold your your shoulder, so when they look out to roar abuse it looks like they have hit you.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion