Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2017, 19:11   #31
Arcade_Tryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW 1 View Post
I'm back commuting to city centre the last 3-4 weeks having been out of city centre for 3 years.

Couple of close passes but nothing noteworthy until this morning. Coming down constitution hill and a woman turns left across the cycle lane into Kings Inn without indicating. I jammed on the brakes but smashed sideways into the side of the car. Luckily not hurt I'd scrubbed a lot of speed off and dropped the bike and landed on my feet after hitting the car.

She was apologising but I didn't want to hear it, I let off a few expletives and got back on the bike. hopefully she learned a lesson about indicating and looking in mirrors when turning left, luckily no damage done this time.
Whatever about not checking the mirror, not indicating is frankly inexcusable. We all forget to check our mirror on occasion when turning, which is why we have an indicator literally attacked to the steering wheel to indicate our intentions before making a manoeuvre and reducing the risk of an incident. Basically, I'd forgive her for turning without checking her mirror if she had indicated prior. But f**k anyone who is neither checking mirrors or indicating.
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 19:15   #32
Alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
I'd be sending that to the gardai.
How though? Any advice here? I had another pass this evening which was worse.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 19:21   #33
Arcade_Tryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
Move further out into the road? You're as entitled to use the road as any automated vehicle.

It's motorists' responsibility to overtake correctly and when safe to do so.
23-03-2017, 19:21   #34
Indricotherium

Quote:
Go to your local station and make a complaint.
23-03-2017, 19:32   #35
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
The guards *may* seize the camera and storage if it's considered serious enough. My suggestion would be a quick call to traffic watch who will forward it on to the local station for a word with the driver.
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 19:39   #36
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo2001 View Post
... I would identify the bike lane on Drumcondra road... .... And also, cyclists often undertake on this lane.
If by 'undertake' you mean pass on the left, then I'm puzzled. I would almost always pass another cyclist on the left there as it's much safer. Passing a cyclist on the right can be difficult if they are meandering over all the lane and they may swerve sending the passing cyclist over the kerb and under a bus.
23-03-2017, 19:43   #37
blackbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
If by 'undertake' you mean pass on the left, then I'm puzzled. I would almost always pass another cyclist on the left there as it's much safer. Passing a cyclist on the right can be difficult if they are meandering over all the lane and they may swerve sending the passing cyclist over the kerb and under a bus.
Are you mixing up your left and right?
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 19:49   #38
ED E

Quote:
Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

You call.
Local Super assigns it to a lackie
Lackie calls you
Lackie turns up at drivers door for a chat.
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 19:50   #39
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Are you mixing up your left and right?
No!

The cycle track is on the right side of the footpath. I'd prefer to encroach into the pedestrian area on the left (if safe to do so) to pass another cyclist rather than taking my chances along the edge of a kerb and a busy bus lane.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 19:51   #40
Kaisr Sose

Quote:
I reckon it was caused by this idiot blindly following the guy in front. Although the first overtake left plenty of room, it was still around a blind bend on a continuous white line. And I was fairly prominently out in the lane. My solution is to cycle further out now, so far so good.
That's a huge problem - car A may wait and wait until it's safe to pass, but then a stream of cars come in the slip stream, many speeding to get in quick and thereby engaging in a blind and close pass. What bugs me is that they will do it on a blind bend or with oncoming traffic for a cyclist. Crazy stuff - often for no real time benefit / saving. They hate slowing down!!
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 20:00   #41
Kaisr Sose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
No!

The cycle track is on the right side of the footpath. I'd prefer to encroach into the pedestrian area on the left (if safe to do so) to pass another cyclist rather than taking my chances along the edge of a kerb and a busy bus lane.
Your example may be a special case but in my opinion it's never a good idea to pass on the left. It psisses me off when it happens me at lights as you don't expect it on the left. I try to block it by staying in near the kerb but as soon as you move off, the door opens for those that may not have had to stop at the light. In free flow traffic, cyclists overtaking cyclists on the left is dangerous, but it happens!
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 20:47   #42
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisr Sose View Post
Your example may be a special case but in my opinion it's never a good idea to pass on the left. It psisses me off when it happens me at lights as you don't expect it on the left. I try to block it by staying in near the kerb but as soon as you move off, the door opens for those that may not have had to stop at the light. In free flow traffic, cyclists overtaking cyclists on the left is dangerous, but it happens!
I'm referring to an off road segregated cycle track. I'd never pass on the left on an on-road cycle track.
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 20:53   #43
Rogue-Trooper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

You call.
Local Super assigns it to a lackie
Lackie calls you
Lackie turns up at drivers door for a chat.

As Ed E has said above (although I'm not sure I'd use the term lackie which is unfairly derogatory). I've had to use the Traffic Watch service twice, both times supported by video evidence and both times for dangerously close passes.

The first time yielded a satisfactory outcome with a sincere apology passed on from the offending driver. The guy flatly denied it until the Garda informed him that they had 'incredibly clear camera footage from the cyclist' which apparently made the blood drain from his face and promptly changed his tune. I was given the option in advance to have him charged or just for them to have a chat. I opted for a chat and indicated I would be happy with that as long as he took on board the seriousness of what he did.

The second time was only 2 weeks ago. I've reported it and am currently waiting on a visit from the boys in blue who have already been in touch and are eager to see the footage. Will update on how that goes.

Having watched your video I'd be of the opinion that it warrants reporting. If you do decide to do it, let us know how you get on.
(3) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 22:54   #44
Danbo!

Best thing I have ever done was get a helmet cam. Almost 3 years of incident free cycling since I got it

I did recently move jobs from the dock lands to near the four courts. Cycling in from firhouse is a pleasure now as I don't really get into the city centre and no need to go near the canal except to cross it.

Worst area for me was turning right from harolds cross onto the canal. Two lanes of merging into one, majority going straight so lots of extremely close passes as I waited to turn right. Best thing to do is find a car in the queue turning right and plant myself behind it. It's great being able to go straight through the junction now.

New hotspot for me is from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. The bus lane at the start is a mess of dodgy merging, queue jumpers and deeply recessed man holes, and then the top of the road is a bit of a **** storm with two lanes becoming three and then four soon after.
23-03-2017, 23:45   #45
HivemindXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-Trooper View Post
The first time yielded a satisfactory outcome with a sincere apology passed on from the offending driver. The guy flatly denied it until the Garda informed him that they had 'incredibly clear camera footage from the cyclist' which apparently made the blood drain from his face and promptly changed his tune.
I don't really see how that's a sincere apology. It seems like this person was perfectly happy to lie to a guard about what he did and was not in the least bit sorry.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion