Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-04-2017, 12:00   #61
Macy0161

Need to change the middle chainring of the old hardtail - following on from changing chain and cassette, and having slippage issues on the middle chain ring only.

Do I need Anti Seize Paste as per the GCN youtube video for changing chainrings, or will grease be adequate? What other applications would I use the anti seize paste, that I wouldn't use grease? Small enough money, but still trying to get the mtb back on the trail as cheap as possible for how often it'll be used!
Advertisement
11-04-2017, 12:10   #62
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Need to change the middle chainring of the old hardtail - following on from changing chain and cassette, and having slippage issues on the middle chain ring only.

Do I need Anti Seize Paste as per the GCN youtube video for changing chainrings, or will grease be adequate? What other applications would I use the anti seize paste, that I wouldn't use grease? Small enough money, but still trying to get the mtb back on the trail as cheap as possible for how often it'll be used!
Generally this is best used on nuts on the bike. If you're worried about it seizing copper grease on the threads below.

Thanks from:
11-04-2017, 13:06   #63
cython

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormatrix View Post
Would it not be a lot easier to just get a lower geared cassette? What are you riding at the minute? Switching 52/36 to 50/34 doesn't seem like its worth the hassle of changing for one ride?
Lower geared cassette may require a new/longer chain and/or new derailleur, though depending on the current slack going 50/34 may require links to be removed. If the poster has a 50/34 lying around though, probably that's the easier option.
Thanks from:
11-04-2017, 14:03   #64
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocked View Post
Signed up to the Mick Byrne. Bike I'll be using has 52/36 which usually is grand in the Wicklow hills but think a compact will be better for the day thats in it. I have a compact I can switch on, the question is will I need to adjust the front derailleur as well?
Possibly need to adjust the height. Normally the clearance between the derailleur cage and top of the big chain ring is about the width of a coin. The smaller diameter of the 54 vs 56 big ring might leave this gap too big.
Thanks from:
11-04-2017, 14:36   #65
Crocked

Cheers lads. I'd have to buy a new cassette if wanted to go lower that way, but have the compact anyway.

I have a 28 on the back at the moment with a short cage derailleur.

Only way I'll know for sure is to just try it before the event and see if, as smacl says, the gap is too big. Hopefully it won't require too much messing with the derailleur height or chain length.
Advertisement
11-04-2017, 14:52   #66
CrowdedHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacl View Post
Normally the clearance between the derailleur cage and top of the big chain ring is about the width of a coin.
Thanks for that, must take a note of mine for future reference.
11-04-2017, 15:19   #67
68 lost souls

Brakes, my rear brake pads are out of place and nearly clamping the tyre, I always have difficulty aligning them properly. Anyone got any advice? I was tempted to buy the tool that parktools make but I'm sure it can be done well without it.
11-04-2017, 15:58   #68
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 lost souls View Post
Brakes, my rear brake pads are out of place and nearly clamping the tyre, I always have difficulty aligning them properly. Anyone got any advice? I was tempted to buy the tool that parktools make but I'm sure it can be done well without it.
Don't know what others do, but I always positioned the pads with the brake levers lightly squeezed, then squeezed them hard when tightening the bolts. After that it is just a matter of left/right balance. Moved to discs since, which is another story.
(2) thanks from:
11-04-2017, 22:08   #69
gaffmaster

11 Speed >> 9 Speed Chainring/ Front derailleur compatibility...

Can 11 speed Chainrings and Cranks be used with a 9 speed front derailleur? Would probably need an 11 speed chain too?

I read an 11 speed chain can be used on 10 or 9 speed cassettes/chainrings and is recommended as it has better tolerances. Is this true?
Advertisement
12-04-2017, 00:00   #70
68 lost souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacl View Post
Don't know what others do, but I always positioned the pads with the brake levers lightly squeezed, then squeezed them hard when tightening the bolts. After that it is just a matter of left/right balance. Moved to discs since, which is another story.
Followed that and redid the alignment, set the barrel adjuster back to about halfway point and redid the cable tension. Brakes seem better now will take it for a test spin tomorrow

Is there a recommended torque for the break pad screws? As in the pad holder rather than the grubscrew that keeps the pad in place
12-04-2017, 08:29   #71
cython

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffmaster View Post
11 Speed >> 9 Speed Chainring/ Front derailleur compatibility...

Can 11 speed Chainrings and Cranks be used with a 9 speed front derailleur? Would probably need an 11 speed chain too?
Assuming you have 11 speed shifters also, then I would have my doubts if it's Shimano at the very least, as I believe the cable pull ratio was changed going from 10 to 11 speed to "lighten" the effort of shifting into the big ring. No experience of other brands to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffmaster View Post
I read an 11 speed chain can be used on 10 or 9 speed cassettes/chainrings and is recommended as it has better tolerances. Is this true?
It can probably be used alright, but I've heard the opposite, to an extent, in that the thinner chain is somehow harder on the cassette, and will wear it out faster. I have no empirical evidence for this though!
Thanks from:
12-04-2017, 08:42   #72
gaffmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cython View Post
Assuming you have 11 speed shifters also, then I would have my doubts if it's Shimano at the very least, as I believe the cable pull ratio was changed going from 10 to 11 speed to "lighten" the effort of shifting into the big ring. No experience of other brands to comment.
I have a 9 speed Sora Groupset (with FSA Vero cranks), and might soon have a spare 11spd FSA Gossamer crankset. I was considering lobbing it onto the bike if it'll work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cython View Post
It can probably be used alright, but I've heard the opposite, to an extent, in that the thinner chain is somehow harder on the cassette, and will wear it out faster. I have no empirical evidence for this though!
Interesting. The thing I read says 11 speed chains don't stretch as readily as 10 speed, so you get better power transfer. Perhaps this indeed does lead to the cassette wearing out quicker.
12-04-2017, 09:02   #73
mirrormatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 lost souls View Post
Is there a recommended torque for the break pad screws? As in the pad holder rather than the grubscrew that keeps the pad in place
There probably is, but hand tight is fine. You're not going to do any damage by overtightening it.
15-04-2017, 15:15   #74
magicbastarder

take the existing clamp off, wrap a ribbon of paper or similar around it (with an overlap) and cut through the overlap with a scalpel. divide the length of the remaining piece of paper by 3.14.
15-04-2017, 18:58   #75
Type 17

The inside of the clamp/outside of the seat tube is where the clamp is measured.

If your seat post is a 27.2, then it is likely that the clamp is a 31.8 - this is now a common combination on aluminium frames, especially Treks.
In times past, frame tubing came in various diameters, and wall thicknesses, leading to multiple seat clamp diameters and loads of seat post diameters between 25.0 up to 31.8. Nowadays, with aluminium frames and hydoforming allowing variable diameter tubing, things have settled around 27.2 and one or two larger sizes for ATB's and Folding bikes.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion