Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-01-2018, 19:05   #46
daragh_

Thanks for the feedback. Will give it a lash this week and see how I go.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 22:21   #47
Macy0161

Well disappointingly, the ramp Test gave me a 6% lower ftp than what I perceived to be rubbish 20 minute tests! But wasnt going in fresh or after a recovery week.
29-01-2018, 22:27   #48
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Well disappointingly, the ramp Test gave me a 6% lower ftp than what I perceived to be rubbish 20 minute tests! But wasnt going in fresh or after a recovery week.
Was it a pointless test then if you weren't fully prepared to maximise your result?
30-01-2018, 08:01   #49
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post
Was it a pointless test then if you weren't fully prepared to maximise your result?
Probably, but it's like around 20 minutes in total, and I was just interested to see! I actually think it will be of more benefit for those on a smart trainer to be honest. Looking at it I was overshooting by a few watts each ramp until the point of failure.
30-01-2018, 10:28   #50
JimmiesRustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Probably, but it's like around 20 minutes in total, and I was just interested to see! I actually think it will be of more benefit for those on a smart trainer to be honest. Looking at it I was overshooting by a few watts each ramp until the point of failure.
Honestly, a ramp test on a trainer without erg is a bit of a waste. You're better of doing the standard tests as your power fluctuates too much for the steps within a ramp especially when you're about to blow.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-01-2018, 11:00   #51
joey100

I know you say it's disappointing that the ramp test gave you a lower number than the 20 min tests but is it not better to be working off proper zones based on the right number rather than zones based off a higher number? It's the main reason I don't like the way it's called a 'test'. The aim of it is not to get as big a number as you can, you only have to look at the 20 min test history on trainer road to see how many fudge the 5 min clearing effort so they can have a higher 20min average and so a higher FTP. The aim of it is to work out your training zones. I do take that you were tired and not going in fresh, and I'm not having a go at you Macy it's just I've seen a lot of people disappointed when they get a number lower than planned.
(2) thanks from:
30-01-2018, 11:32   #52
Irish Raven

so if done on a smart trainer....keep in the same gear and allow trainerroad to control??
30-01-2018, 11:35   #53
bp_me

Send a message via ICQ to bp_me Send a message via MSN to bp_me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
so if done on a smart trainer....keep in the same gear and allow trainerroad to control??
I use a tacx flux and find that certain gears will allow it to maintain a closer correlation to the target power for a given target power request.
30-01-2018, 11:50   #54
Irish Raven

yeah I use a tacx bushido, and find when the power goes up, gears can allow it to be a more normal feel...

interested to see does anyone do it or vo2 workouts, without changing gears on erg mode...
Advertisement
30-01-2018, 11:53   #55
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey100 View Post
I know you say it's disappointing that the ramp test gave you a lower number than the 20 min tests but is it not better to be working off proper zones based on the right number rather than zones based off a higher number? It's the main reason I don't like the way it's called a 'test'. The aim of it is not to get as big a number as you can, you only have to look at the 20 min test history on trainer road to see how many fudge the 5 min clearing effort so they can have a higher 20min average and so a higher FTP. The aim of it is to work out your training zones. I do take that you were tired and not going in fresh, and I'm not having a go at you Macy it's just I've seen a lot of people disappointed when they get a number lower than planned.
I'm completeing the workouts based on the FTP based on 20 minute test on target power, so won't be lowering it based on the ramp test (which is still only under testing by TR, not rolled out).

I was kinda hoping I'd undershot on the 20 minute test, and that's where my disappointment has come from. Pure ego! And I'm not really sure what I was thinking wanting higher numbers before tonights VO2 max intervals really on reflection!
Thanks from:
30-01-2018, 11:53   #56
bp_me

Send a message via ICQ to bp_me Send a message via MSN to bp_me
Quote:
yeah I use a tacx bushido, and find when the power goes up, gears can allow it to be a more normal feel...

interested to see does anyone do it or vo2 workouts, without changing gears on erg mode...
Not exactly what I mean...

If you have a look at this graph the only difference between the "noisey" and "smoother" intervals is finding the right gear

31-01-2018, 22:24   #57
doozerie

Quote:

If using erg mode then changing gears isn't necessary at all since the resistance remains consistent (or tries to, at least) regardless of which gear you are in. To change the feel you can increase or decrease cadence, same effect as changing gear basically.
01-02-2018, 09:07   #58
JimmiesRustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerie View Post
If using erg mode then changing gears isn't necessary at all since the resistance remains consistent (or tries to, at least) regardless of which gear you are in. To change the feel you can increase or decrease cadence, same effect as changing gear basically.
I've never seen it where you've to shift up to hit target wattage but I do know some trainers mechanical limit is lower than that of others. With some trainers, during a recovery period, you may need to shift into an easier gear in order to better hit the wattage target. I think it's called the wattage floor.
Thanks from:
01-02-2018, 09:27   #59
Paul_Mc1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiesRustled
I've never seen it where you've to shift up to hit target wattage but I do know some trainers mechanical limit is lower than that of others. With some trainers, during a recovery period, you may need to shift into an easier gear in order to better hit the wattage target. I think it's called the wattage floor.

I've encountered this when 80 watts is required of the turbo. I always keep my chainline straight and dont shift in erg mode. So when its trying to set the trainer to hold 80 watts i put out 100 as this is the wattage floor on mine.
01-02-2018, 10:50   #60
doozerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiesRustled View Post
Ah right, that makes sense alright. I've read about the wattage floor in the past but haven't encountered it, but whether it arises does seem to depend on the trainer itself amongst other things.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion