Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-03-2016, 22:31   #61
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmc View Post
they're internal roller brakes, standard Dutch bike setup. while they might not be more troublesome, they're definitely less effective than disc brakes. which is not ideal if you're carrying precious cargo

one of the reasons I went with the bullitt is the disc brakes. another being that no matter what went wrong with it, I'd be reasonably certain I could get it running again pretty quickly with spares in the garage, or "donations" from one of my other bikes worst case
I think the Bullitt is outside my price range. I've been using cantilever brakes on my main bike for five years, so my expectations of brakes may not be as high as most anyway.

I think from what I've read the bakfiets should do me fine. I'll give it a test run anyway.

Thanks, all!
Advertisement
25-03-2016, 01:07   #62
kenmc

try the workcycles from Dutch bike shop too if you can, I liked that too
Thanks from:
25-03-2016, 23:31   #63
tomasrojo

Did a test run a long-base bakfiets. Really enjoyed it, and the two girls loved it. I guess I'll go with that. Got the hang of steering and balance straight away, and the brakes seemed fine.
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 16:06   #64
tomasrojo

While I'm waiting for delivery of the bakfiets, do any owners have tips on best ways to lock one in the street? I'm assuming the usual precautions of securing wheels and frame apply. Given the unusual length and shape of the bike, what locks do this job best?
08-04-2016, 16:33   #65
'68 Fastback

Not a Bakfiets but I use a Kryptonite M18 with a cable and a Masterlock chain to keep my Big Dummy mine. Normally I use the M18 to lock the front wheel to the frame and the chain to lock the rear wheel and frame to something solid. I just keep the cable in a pannier as an extra incase. It's 6/7kg of locks to carry but it's a cargo bike so...!

Sorry to hijack the thread but can anyone reccommend a tyre for cargo bikes? I am using the Conti Town & Country tyres that the bike came with but have been plagued with punctures on the rear. I carry an extra 30kg sometimes which just drives whatever glass or shards through the breaker. I've seen good reviews of the Big Apple Plus but is there anything else?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2016, 16:38   #66
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Schwalbe marathons were what were on the Bullitt I tried out a while ago, not sure of they were marathon plus or not but I imagine they are well suited.
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 16:44   #67
'68 Fastback

I think the Big Apple Plus uses the same puncture protection as the Marathon Plus, but in a 2.3inch. I'm hoping to get some big volume as the going gets harsh when there's weight in the panniers.
08-04-2016, 21:12   #68
kenmc

yeah schwalbe marathon on my bullitt, rock solid coming up on 9 months doing 50 km a week
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 21:17   #69
Harrybelafonte

They used to come with Continental City Contacts when first sold. Mine are still on after 7 years but I swap over to Kojaks in the summer
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2016, 18:26   #70
tomasrojo

On the subject of locking up a cargo bike, this chimes with what '68 Fastback recommended, I think, with some extra advice:

Quote:
A quality hardened chain with 10mm square links and an integrated lock is enough to keep away all but the most determined thieves. A length of 140-150cm enables you to lock to a fixed object in almost all situations. The rear wheel has its own lock and is so difficult to remove anyway that locking it is quite unnecessary. If possible set the bike next to a pole to lock the main boom tube to a pole. Wrap/wind the chain around as necessary to avoid any slack.

In really high theft areas the front wheel can occasionally get stolen. What a thief can do with a super heavy duty 20″ rollerbrake wheel is a mystery but if you’re worried about this you can loop a small lock through the front wheel and fender. Even better is to bore two large holes in the front of the wooden box (use a hole saw) so that you can run the lock through. This is serious overkill for most locations.
http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/workc...ps-tricks-faq/
12-04-2016, 09:40   #71
'68 Fastback

The point they make about the rear wheel is very true. Having had to fix punctures on the side of the road with loaded panniers I can attest to the difficulty of removing the wheel. Not the fun times.

My chain is only a 100cm one so a bit limiting but has got me by so far. I would recommend trying to get as much chain into the mini shackle. I usualy manage to figure 8 the chain and get the two end links and the middle of the chain into the shackle and this leaves very little room for prying tools.
Thanks from:
17-04-2016, 21:09   #72
omri

I've been following this thread in last week or so and decided to have a closer look at the idea of replacing my car with a cargo bike. Have to mention big thanks for tomasrojo for all his input in PMs.

Currently I'm doing creche and shopping trips within 10m driving radius so my goal would be getting rid of the car at some point this summer. Over the weekend I've checked few cargo bikes and decided that it will be a 2-wheeled front loader. I had a look at bakfiets in dutchbikeshop, I did a test ride with my son, whose just over 4.5yrs old. We both enjoyed the ride, having said that the upright position that bakfiets offers along with the step through frame isn't for me. I found the bike bit wobbly for my liking and I don't think going uphill is pleasant (as some of the reviews on the internet suggest).

Today I had a look at Bullitt down at thinkbike and from what I read on the net I think this might be the one for me as it's more sporty and hopefully stiffer than bakfiets I've tested. I'm not convinced however about the amount of space that the bullitt's canopy offers though. Without the helmet on his head there was maybe 5-10cm clearance from the top of the cover, therefore I'm not sure how many years of use I'd get as my sons already very tall for his age. We also have a 2yr old and in this case theres loads of room.

I will be checking out triobike cargo in greenaer tomorrow as well. I was hoping some of you could offer some additional comments to my questions as I've never heard/considered a cargo bike till few weeks ago.

1) Are there any european manufacturers of custom canopies/boxes for bullitt or triobike cargo that would offer bit more head room and maybe be a bit wider ? From reading up I know theres plenty in the US but buying there wouldn't be cost effective.

2) Anyone using triobike cargo - I wasn't able to find any review online of that bike, the one article I've managed to find was from 10yrs ago and it was very negative, however I gather it was regarding different model from triobike.

3) The bullitt I looked at will cost me around €3000, I have brand new deore xt groupset and finishing kit sitting in the boxes, so I asked in the shop would it not be cheaper to get frame and canopy and try to source the wheels - the rest is there so its matter of assembly. I was told its not going to be cheaper. Is it true or was I just told to believe it would be cheaper for me to leave €3000 ?

4) Where could I get a heavy duty 20" and 26" wheels with disc rotor hubs ?

Many thanks
Thanks from:
17-04-2016, 23:04   #73
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by omri View Post
1) Are there any european manufacturers of custom canopies/boxes for bullitt or triobike cargo that would offer bit more head room and maybe be a bit wider ? From reading up I know theres plenty in the US but buying there wouldn't be cost effective.
There are, I trialled one from thinkbike but they do cost.

Quote:
2) Anyone using triobike cargo - I wasn't able to find any review online of that bike, the one article I've managed to find was from 10yrs ago and it was very negative, however I gather it was regarding different model from triobike.
Never heard of them before

Quote:
3) The bullitt I looked at will cost me around €3000, I have brand new deore xt groupset and finishing kit sitting in the boxes, so I asked in the shop would it not be cheaper to get frame and canopy and try to source the wheels - the rest is there so its matter of assembly. I was told its not going to be cheaper. Is it true or was I just told to believe it would be cheaper for me to leave €3000 ?
it would be cheaper but not by much, it's probably cheaper except for the labour as they would be used to it being pre packaged and part assembled. You also have more comback for items that failed, if that is a concern or worry.

Quote:
4) Where could I get a heavy duty 20" and 26" wheels with disc rotor hubs ?
Not sure but I did look at putting my own together years ago and the cheapest was on CRC but I imagine most online retailers will have something that fits the bill
Thanks from:
18-04-2016, 07:20   #74
enas

Quote:
Originally Posted by omri View Post
Maybe not the most helpful answer, but when I was considering cargo bikes myself, I had eventually settled on the urban arrow. It's quite similar to the Bullitt, but designed specifically for families (rather than cargo). Its box is a bit wider, and is specifically designed for such things as rain canopies or child seats. In spite of those practicalities, it's still rather lively and pleasant to handle (almost as much as the Bullitt, which is as good a cargo bike is ever going to get). Basically, I see it as a perfect compromise between the Bullitt and the traditional Bakfiets.
Thanks from:
18-04-2016, 09:54   #75
tomasrojo

I was chatting to a woman in Airfield in Dundrum with one of those Urban Arrows. It looked great.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion