Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-04-2015, 14:42   #46
tomasrojo

These new? Peter Walker of the Guardian mentioned them (and their resemblance to a 1950s' vision of a space rocket) on Twitter.

http://boxercycles.com
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-04-2015, 14:47   #47
lennymc

the rocket is deadly looking
Thanks from:
27-04-2015, 11:44   #48
Kinet1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsFitz View Post
Just a quick heads up. The next cargo bike championships are happening in the Phoenix park again, this year on Sunday the 21st of June.
Looking forward to seeing a few more new bikes/faces there.
spread the word!
Do we need to get a ticket as a spectator? Thanks.
27-04-2015, 14:16   #49
Harrybelafonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinet1c View Post
Do we need to get a ticket as a spectator? Thanks.
Not as far as I know.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2015, 15:12   #50
dandyelevan

Got an old Cargo bike here taking up valuable space (and dust) in my workshop.
It works, but needs a new home.

Letting it go at cost price to make room.

PM email address for pics of the beastie if interested.
Advertisement
14-03-2016, 15:01   #51
tomasrojo

I might finally have got my finances enough in order to get a bakfiets.

Does anyone know up to what age would it be reasonable to carry children in a bakfiets for someone who's pretty fit (I already carry them one at a time in a trailer, and I pull dozens of kilos of cargo in trailers pretty frequently)? Two children, currently just turned six and approaching four. Six-year-old is pretty average size, three-year-old is small for her age. I was hoping to get about two years carrying both of them before the older one would be ok for longer journeys on her own bike and I'd transport the younger alone. I'm thinking of getting the short-wheel-base one from Greenaer, as I have a goods trailer for extra capacity anyway.

http://www.greenaer.ie/product/bakfi...go-bike-short/

Last edited by tomasrojo; 14-03-2016 at 15:08.
14-03-2016, 15:07   #52
tomasrojo

Also, someone mentioned this to me. First I'd ever heard of it. I reckon a cargo bike would be a lot better, but this is maybe an option:
http://rideweehoo.com/products/igo-two-2/
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2016, 15:15   #53
Harrybelafonte

Could carry mine for shorter journeys til he was 10 and he's tall for his age

Sorry, that's in a bullitt though

Last edited by Harrybelafonte; 14-03-2016 at 15:26.
Thanks from:
14-03-2016, 16:01   #54
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrybelafonte View Post
Could carry mine for shorter journeys til he was 10 and he's tall for his age

Sorry, that's in a bullitt though
Might be roughly comparable (Bullitt is lighter, I guess, though). Thanks! That's good to hear. Would have loved to have got this earlier, but reckon can still get good use out of it.
Advertisement
14-03-2016, 22:19   #55
Mucco

I have a bakfiets.nl short, but would recommend the long. I doubt there's much difference in weight, cost etc, but the extra space would allow the kids to spread out, maybe lie down, sleep? One of the great things about the bakfiets is the manoeuvrability, and a trailer may detract from this (I've never used a trailer, so don't know).

An option for the older kids is to ride on the carrier. My wife sometimes rides on the carrier, me on the saddle and the kids in the box: they love it!
Thanks from:
15-03-2016, 01:41   #56
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucco View Post
I have a bakfiets.nl short, but would recommend the long. I doubt there's much difference in weight, cost etc,
No, the short is about €100 cheaper, so not much at all. In fact, there's an ex-demo long on offer for about €1300 on the Greenaer website.

Quote:
but the extra space would allow the kids to spread out, maybe lie down, sleep? One of the great things about the bakfiets is the manoeuvrability, and a trailer may detract from this (I've never used a trailer, so don't know).
Don't think it would make that much difference, but I guess I only know how a trailer feels with a standard bike.

Quote:
An option for the older kids is to ride on the carrier. My wife sometimes rides on the carrier, me on the saddle and the kids in the box: they love it!
I was thinking that might be an option!

I was thinking the short would be more manoeuvrable, and more likely to fit in my (fairly big) shed.

I'll definitely have a look at the long as well, now you've said that.
24-03-2016, 13:32   #57
tomasrojo

My wife has been told that the brakes on the bakfiets are poor and always need fixing.

Has anyone who's used one found the brakes wanting? I am leaning strongly towards the bakfiets, not least because I can just about afford it and it's always come out well in any online discussions or reviews I've seen.
24-03-2016, 13:52   #58
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrojo View Post
My wife has been told that the brakes on the bakfiets are poor and always need fixing.

Has anyone who's used one found the brakes wanting? I am leaning strongly towards the bakfiets, not least because I can just about afford it and it's always come out well in any online discussions or reviews I've seen.
Who told her that?

I don't think I've had any major on-going issues with the brakes -- last serviced around a year ago now and they work fine.
Thanks from:
24-03-2016, 19:07   #59
kenmc

they're internal roller brakes, standard Dutch bike setup. while they might not be more troublesome, they're definitely less effective than disc brakes. which is not ideal if you're carrying precious cargo

one of the reasons I went with the bullitt is the disc brakes. another being that no matter what went wrong with it, I'd be reasonably certain I could get it running again pretty quickly with spares in the garage, or "donations" from one of my other bikes worst case
Thanks from:
24-03-2016, 22:25   #60
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monument View Post
Who told her that?

I don't think I've had any major on-going issues with the brakes -- last serviced around a year ago now and they work fine.

Someone with an interest in selling Niholas and Bullitts, funnily enough. Definitely has worked with bakfietsen in the past, but I understand that Shimano roller brakes have improved a lot in the last few years.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion