Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tnegun wrote: »
    Back wheel was all over the place on the way home and upon inspection found a crack. Its a hybrid I use for commuting 22k each way so don't fancy chancing it again. Wheel is a 622-16 what do I look for when replacing it? Just that?
    622 is a standard size wheel; IIRC 22 is the inner width of the rim. fairly standard.
    should be relatively easy to get a wheel, i guess - may be an order in your LBS as you've the combination of whether the disc is 6 or 7 bolt, or centrelock, plus the 10 speed freehub, etc., making finding a specific match online just that little fiddlier?

i assume the bike is not under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks for the replies bike is about 18 months old so out of warranty. I've done about 7k km commuting, maybe I'm a bit hard on it as its had a new tyre, chainset and cassette in the last 1000km + 2 new chains in that time too. The first new one snapped after about 100km but I had a lot of issues with that shop so never went back.

Any recommendations for where to pickup a new wheel today I'd order online but want to get back up and running for tomorrow! I'm in Parkwest so Tallaght/Liffey valley are handy enough to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ah cheers mate, I'm in the salubrious south Dublin 'burbs of Tallaght though. :D

I'm going to hit the shed hard tonight and try out the various suggestions.

Edit: And i have a bloody vice grip. Down in Galway!

I'd avoid a vice grips, if it was in tight enough to round the head then the vice grips could do more harm than good. A bigger torx bit hammered in is your best bet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies bike is about 18 months old so out of warranty. I've done about 7k km commuting, maybe I'm a bit hard on it as its had a new tyre, chainset and cassette in the last 1000km + 2 new chains in that time too. The first new one snapped after about 100km but I had a lot of issues with that shop so never went back.

Any recommendations for where to pickup a new wheel today I'd order online but want to get back up and running for tomorrow! I'm in Parkwest so Tallaght/Liffey valley are handy enough to get to.

Alot of places will refer to the wheel as a 700c wheel, rather than a 622.

Tallaght you have Cyclesuperstore, just ring before you go but to be honest, if your in a rush and concerned about price, adverts or similar might be the place to go.

Rang around and visited a couple of shops prices varied from €100-€150 plus fitting with a couple of weeks lead time. I went back to the shop I bought the bike from and they'll do it for cost (€50) and submit a claim to the rep and refund me if they accept! Should be back on the road by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I bought a replacement disk rotor with center lock, however I didn't realize at the moment of purchase, and the lock ring in the new one is "internal" (like this) while the one I have is "external" (like this).
    Are they compatible? can I use the external lock ring to lock the new rotor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

darconio wrote: »
    I bought a replacement disk rotor with center lock, however I didn't realize at the moment of purchase, and the lock ring in the new one is "internal" (like this) while the one I have is "external" (like this).

I think they are compatible, I think the thread is the same, it’s just the tool for installation is different!

Open for correction on this one, the only experience I’ve had is using both styles of lock ring on the same disk on a wheel and they both fit fine.

Worse case scenario is the new disc will come with the new lock ring which needs a different tool to tighten it down. (That or send it back!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cdaly_ wrote: »

If you're replacing the wheel, consider a dynamo wheelset for €140 delivered. Spend another €60 on lights and you've got a serious upgrade to your commuter...

That wheelset was recently 20% off with free delivery so worth keeping an eye out for.

Was considering going for this when I was being priced €100+ for replacing the other. Have just upgraded my lights too for winter but will keep an eye on this look very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

This one has left me a little bit stumped, I want to swap out the stem but kind of unsure how to get at the stem cap with this cover that the guys in the shop put on it when it was originally cut, its loose enough that i can twirl both it and the spacers beneath but it doesn't seem to screw off as I'd hoped. Any ideas?

Edit: got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi All,

I hope it is ok to look for some advice here?

I stupidly inserted a new gear cable incorrectly earlier this morning, and I any having some real trouble removing it.
    I inserted it from the wrong side, and the cap at the end of the cable is now stuck internally and i cannot get the cable back out.

I've attached a couple of pics, one (bikepic1)showing the side the cable was inserted incorrectly from and where i cannot get it to come back out of, and one (bikepic2) showing the cable i am trying to get out!

I understand that this was a silly thing to do, and not sure why I put it in this was. I am putting it down to lack of sleep and intelligence.

I'd appreciate any tips that any of you may have as to how I should go about removing it. Or is this a job for the LBS?

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd suggest you pull the other end of the cable entirely out of the casing so that it's not causing any twist/sideways force. Then see can you wiggle it back out. Maybe use sewing pins or similar to poke the head around as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Easily done, a bit fiddly to fix, but the LBS won't have any special tools/methods that you can't use at home.

Basically, you need to release (using inner, small shifter) the "reel" that the cable nipple sits in, so that the gap in it (around the cradle for the nipple) travels around to where the nipple of the cable is sitting, allowing you to bring the nipple around to freedom.

Now, the issue will be that the spring in the lever isn't strong enough to rotate the reel as usual, due to the jamming effect of the nipple, so you'll need to help it, by locating the teeth along the side of the reel and, using a pick or tiny screwdriver, pushing the reel around as you work the small shift lever. It may help to have an an assistant work the release lever repeatedly, freeing your two hands to both push the reel with the pick and jiggle the cable all at the same time - basically, you are jiggling everything until you can get the reel back around to the 10th gear position, which should bring the nipple of the cable with it, enabling you to withdraw the cable and then feed it in from the bottom, through the nipple-seat on the reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Thanks for the replies cdaly and Type 17 - I've done as suggested, but still no luck.

I spent about 2hours this afternoon trying to get it out - it can get frustrating. It seems like such a simple thing to do, but it is turning out to be anything but!

Going to leave it for today and will start fresh on it in the morning.

Have a couple of days off work and had planned on a nice today, I'll be going out for a run later as a substitute for the cycle.
    Hopefully will get out on the bike at some stage tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

darconio wrote: »

If anybody is ever in the same situation, I can confirm that center locks are compatible with both the internal and external ring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I did something stupid,
    the axle on my back wheel broke .
    the wheel would still go round slowly in first gear .
    The wheel is 26 inchs .Standard mountain bike frame.
    So i continue to cycle slowly even though it was quiet noisey .
    So i was cycling in first gear and there was a loud noise ,
    what happened is the gear set moved and got stuck inside the wheel spokes .
    I just intended to cylcle for 2 days ,
    i have 2 spare wheels i can use to replace the back wheel.
    So now the gear set is bent inwards at an angle .
    Can i fix this myself or should i leave it in to a bike repair shop.
    How much would it cost to fix it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When you say gear set do you mean rear derailleur, as in the part that moves the chain to change gears at the rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it possible to get a universal type torch holder for a bike. I have a compact torch and would like to use it on some dark sections I cycle on, standard front lights don't seem to cut it for me, diameter around 3cm.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I mean the derailler the part that moves the chain along the rear wheel
    cogs in order to change gears .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

silverharp wrote: »
    is it possible to get a universal type torch holder for a bike. I have a compact torch and would like to use it on some dark sections I cycle on, standard front lights don't seem to cut it for me, diameter around 3cm.

lockblock torch mount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

riclad wrote: »
    I mean the derailler the part that moves the chain along the rear wheel
    cogs in order to change gears .

Hopefully you have just bent the mech hanger, a sacrificial part to protect the rear mech (derailuer), a replacement is normally up to 20 quid or so. If your frame is steel you might have bent the hanger and a local bike shop should have the tool to realign it.

Otherwise you have bent the mech and it's generally much less bother to just replace it as it's rare you can get them straight enough to work properly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cdaly_ wrote: »

thanks, I'll try on line but would bike shops carry them?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

thinking it would be handy to have a spare set of wheels for my bike, with bigger winter tyres for bad weather days.

what i cant figure out is what type of wheel to buy. are they all the same or difffernt by bike type?
    id like to buy second hand when i see a cheap set come up but i cant even figure out are the options

my bike is a giant road bike, with 700c wheels and disc brakes. currently has an 11-speed rear cog.
    the wheels are PR2

i cant figure out what i need to buy (wheel + hub + rotor + cog ?) so that i have a spare set to swap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

site_owner wrote: »
    thinking it would be handy to have a spare set of wheels for my bike, with bigger winter tyres for bad weather days.

what i cant figure out is what type of wheel to buy. are they all the same or difffernt by bike type?
    id like to buy second hand when i see a cheap set come up but i cant even figure out are the options

my bike is a giant road bike, with 700c wheels and disc brakes. currently has an 11-speed rear cog.
    the wheels are PR2

i cant figure out what i need to buy (wheel + hub + rotor + cog ?) so that i have a spare set to swap out.

any 700c wheel with the correct hub (quick release or thruaxle) should work. The big challenge will be tyre width. A lot of road bikes just won't accept a wide tyre. I've got a bike that will only fit a 25mm wide one. Update us with the bike model and year and we'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    any 700c wheel with the correct hub (quick release or thruaxle) should work. The big challenge will be tyre width. A lot of road bikes just won't accept a wide tyre. I've got a bike that will only fit a 25mm wide one. Update us with the bike model and year and we'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Cheers, its a contend sl 1 disc 2017. Ive got 35mm marathons onto it as a test, but just want to be able to swap wheels on any icy day rather than messing around with tyre changes. I'm also looking for a second cheapcheap bike as an alternative to spare wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

the wheels are PR2

Limiting factor is the width of the frame near the BB - too big a tyre and it won't fit.

What rims and exact model of bike so we can determine frame dimensions and tyre width for the rim

Ideally the spare wheels will need disc rotors, correct cassette, otherwise it'll be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Cheers, its a contend sl 1 disc 2017. Ive got 35mm marathons onto it as a test, but just want to be able to swap wheels on any icy day rather than messing around with tyre changes. I'm also looking for a second cheapcheap bike as an alternative to spare wheels

Oooh, that's a good point about the disc brake - the benefit you get from tyre clearance w/o rim brakes will hurt with regard to a second set of wheels.

It might be easier - no, it'd definitely be easier - to simply get another set of tyres and swap them, seasonally.

OR, get a cheapo second bike.

It might be easier - no, it'd definitely be easier - to simply get another set of tyres and swap them, seasonally.

I'll have to improve my tyre changing skills. Trying to get 35s onto the PR2 rims to test them cost me a few knuckles :)

Thanks for the advice, really good to know where i stand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you were doing it with marathons, to be fair, and they've a reputation of being difficult to fit.

• Advertisement

you were doing it with marathons, to be fair, and they've a reputation of being difficult to fit.

Which brings me back around to "i dont want to be doing this on a freezing cold morning" :)

I think I'm definitely settling on a cheap second hand hybrid that will get dragged out of the shed when needed

Advertisement