Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

Lush I cant seem to get access to your webpage. Is it up and running yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

Lush I cant seem to get access to your webpage. Is it up and running yet?

Yes it's up and running alright, are you able to view alright or is it a log on problem?

Any feedback would be of great help, as it works for me ok, but that doesn't neccessarilly mean its fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What do you Gentlemen think of Falcon pipes ?

I use one for testing aromatics

I don't generally go for aromatics but I got a present of Petersons Luxury Blend at Xmas - it's doing nothing to convert me !

A few years ago I made a mistake of smoking a cherry topped blend in one of my favourite pipes - seemed to take months for the cherry taste to go away

The Falcon is certainly very easy to keep spotlessly clean and generally gives a cool smoke but something seems to be missing

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 47 scottless

how ya's lads new pipe smoker here just thought id say hi. also where do you lads buy your tobacco all the tobacco iv looked for is very difficult to find so could ya recommend any good places to buy online

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

scottless wrote: »
    how ya's lads new pipe smoker here just thought id say hi. also where do you lads buy your tobacco all the tobacco iv looked for is very difficult to find so could ya recommend any good places to buy online

I find smoking pipes or 4Noggins very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

scottless wrote: »
    Hi,

I get my tobaccos when I am away on holidays, usually buy some stuff in Germany. I prefer Danish tobaccos in general (Mac Baren), like the old Dutch Amphora sometimes also. At the moment I have some Black Ambrosia, Vanilla Cream Flake Cut, Springwater, The Porter House, Captain Black Royal, Amphora, Colts American Mixture. And it is Sunday, so I am enjoying a little puff.

By the way, are there any places in Ireland that you can get good Danish tobaccos (online preferably)? Can't see them anywhere and I am not a fan of English type stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Gentlemen, I have a problem.

It has happened me a couple times now where I'm puffing away fine and then a piece of tobacco will become lodged in the draft hole. It all gets clogged and my smoke is ruined. Plus I have to get my pipe tool and poke out the offending strand of tobacco.

So I was thinking of maybe buying some pipe gauze. Does anyone here put gauze in their bowl or maybe have experience with this type of thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

Probably not packed tight enough at the bottom of the bowl is all, or the tobacco could be a little dry too. Just pack it a little tighter at first. Not too tight mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Craigbealnatra

OK here goes! You've probably already been asked this question, I'm about to take the jump and take up pipe smoking! My image of a pipe tobacco is one that smells and tastes of sweet hay, is mild and low on nicotine. I want this as a hobby not a habbit! Is there such a tobacco and if so is there one for beginners?
    Sorry if it's a daft question but I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

OK here goes! You've probably already been asked this question, I'm about to take the jump and take up pipe smoking! My image of a pipe tobacco is one that smells and tastes of sweet hay, is mild and low on nicotine. I want this as a hobby not a habbit! Is there such a tobacco and if so is there one for beginners?
    Sorry if it's a daft question but I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.
    Hi Craig,

I would get this tobacco for a start and you will always get back to it after smoking something else:

001.jpg

Another nice one, very mild:

paflavored.jpg

And one of my favourites:

Vanilla-Cream-Flake-Dose.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, where can I purchase these? I live in North Donegal so there are no tobaccoinists up here! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, where can I purchase these? I live in North Donegal so there are no tobaccoinists up here! :rolleyes:
    Hi,

I would like to know that as well if these tobaccos can be bought anywhere in this country. I buy them when I am away on holidays, usually in Germany.

By the way, are there any on-line tobacco shops in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Hi
    Try this guy for on line shopping,he is based in Dublin There are some excellent online tobacco retailer in the USA with very competitive prices, however that may depend on how your purchases are viewed by Irish customs officers.
    Cheers
    Paxo

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_303

paxo wrote: »
    There are some excellent online tobacco retailer in the USA with very competitive prices, however that may depend on how your purchases are viewed by Irish customs officers.
    Anything tobacco related sent by post even within EU is subject to custom duties and in some countries sending abroad is illegal.
    paxo wrote: »
    Hi
    Try this guy for on line shopping, he is based in Dublin
    http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_303
    Mainly English type blends, hated by some people (including me) :(. And the prices are almost 3 times what you would expect to pay elsewhere. The University flake from Peterson is not the worst one (v. expensive though).

OK an update. Got myself a corncob and a tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze. The smell when you open the tin is unbelievable! But my first experience of smoking it in the cob was disgusting, it tasted awful and bit like mad. So after some research I let a bowl of it dry for an hour, went out to the shed, tried it again and sipped it, such a different experience. It was lovely! Nice tasting tobacco, didn't taste any of the amaretto casing though, but it was smooth with a little nicotine buzz. Very relaxing indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I want to encourage a relative to give up Cigarettes, and smoke a pipe.
    I was looking for say a "starter kit" pipe, tobacco and tool which I would get as a present for him.
    Any advice, I don't want to break the bank either, I passed by a shop in dublin and prices looked expensive for pipes, especially since it is perhaps a present that may not be used much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Hello everybody,
    I'm 18 and been smoking a pipe for two and a half years now. I have a curved briarwood pipe and I'm currently smoking Peterson sunset breeze cherry, which I'm enjoying although I find it to be a bit sweet at times.

I'm thinking of moving onto a churchwarden - just love the look of the long stemmed pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

The Churchwarden seems to be very trendy at the moment.

As I asked
    I was looking for say a "starter kit" pipe, tobacco and tool which I would get as a present for a relative i am trying to direct away from ciggies. Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AndrzejL

Ladles and Jellyspoons.

I am registered on this forum for quite a while but I have finally found a reason to join a discussion.

I am / was a smoker for over 15 years. Recently I feel like cigarettes have become a big burden for me. I would like to give pipe smoking a fair try but I am bit worried as the pipe smoking (even tho its not a rocket science) has a different feel to it. I have a couple of questions and your answers and advices are greatly appreciated.

a) where to get a good yet not a budget breaking pipes, tobacco and accessories online. Can You recommend a shop that is based in Ireland (UK? Maybe EU) that sells good quality stuff for reasonable prices and accepts paypal payments? I live in a small town - there is no dedicated tobacco shop in the neighborhood. The closest one is about 60 km. away. I would prefer to buy this stuff online and have it delivered.

Edit: I am looking at this thread.

b) if I am buying stuff online what does the tax issue looks like? Lets say if I would buy tobacco (pipe and or accessories) from USA - do I need to know of any special fees? What if I buy it in Ireland or UK?

c) I understand that there are different pipes in different shapes and with different "configurations" (ie. different lip, metal / coal filters) can You recommend a pipe for a newbie? Something that is easy to maintain. Something that will last for a while (as in is not easy to break). I see that I could purchase a nice looking pipe for €3 - €5 on e-bay but I fear that this would be a terrible idea...

d) Any favorite tobacco producers? I know that this probably is a very long and possibly dreaded topic for most of the pipe smokers but bear with me... I live with my fiance and she hates the cigarette smoke. Maybe if I will get a nice flavored (vanilla) tobacco then maybe I can make life easier for both of us. I don't know any pipe smokers, none of my friends or family has any pipe experience so I am looking for answers online. I am really glad I tried this place and found this thread.

e) How long would a 25g / 50g pouch last to an average smoker?

f) Does every pipe requires these cigarette-like filters? How often do You need to replace those? After each smoke?

Edit: Thanks to Seweryn I have found this this post.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I appreciate your patience.

Kind regards.

Andrzej

Edit: I am looking at eric1968's Youtube channel where You can find "Pipe Smoking 101" videos. They have answered many of the basic questions for me like - how to choose my first pipe or what do I need to clean and maintain a pipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Welcome Andrzej.
    AndrzejL wrote: »
    Lets say if I would buy tobacco (pipe and or accessories) from USA - do I need to know of any special fees?
    Short answer is no -- you have to pay them, but the arrangements are all made automatically and you'll just be sent the bill.

Irish tax is due on any tobacco you order from another country. If you order from inside the EU, the shop is supposed to sort out the tax in advance. If they don't, the parcel can be stopped and you will be charged the tax before the parcel is released. If coming from outside the EU, the parcel is stopped anyway and you will be sent a bill for the tax.

Full details are in this document from the Revenue.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Welcome Andrzej.

Short answer is no -- you have to pay them, but the arrangements are all made automatically and you'll just be sent the bill.

Irish tax is due on any tobacco you order from another country. If you order from inside the EU, the shop is supposed to sort out the tax in advance. If they don't, the parcel can be stopped and you will be charged the tax before the parcel is released. If coming from outside the EU, the parcel is stopped anyway and you will be sent a bill for the tax.

Full details are in this document from the Revenue.

Thank you for a prompt reply. I would prefer to buy my accessories locally (as in from Irish supplier) but that information is very helpful.

Kind regards.

Andrzej

d) Any favorite tobacco producers?
    Hi Andrzej.

Regarding tobaccos, there are thousands of them on the market, however please see my suggestions listed in my previous post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84276453&postcount=71

Seweryn wrote: »
    Hi Andrzej.

Regarding tobaccos, there are thousands of them on the market, however please see my suggestions listed in my previous post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84276453&postcount=71

Fantastic. Heading there right now.

These seem great. And please tell me are You buying them locally or online? Are they easy on the wallet?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Andrzej

Fantastic. Heading there right now.

These seem great. And please tell me are You buying them locally or online? Are they easy on the wallet?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Andrzej
    Unfortunately, I do not know any local shops that stock these. Around Kilkenny I do not know about any shop at all that sell any pipe tobaccos. But then you may find them in, say, Dublin or somewhere else. I normally buy these tobaccos when I am away on holidays (usually in Germany).

Seweryn wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I do not know any local shops that stock these. Around Kilkenny I do not know about any shop at all that sell any pipe tobaccos. But then you may find them in, say, Dublin or somewhere else. I normally buy these tobaccos when I am away on holidays (usually in Germany).

Thank You.

I found some online sellers that ship Alsbo Black to Ireland. I also have found out that You cannot use Your paypal account for purchasing tobacco. I had to transfer some money from paypal to my bank account so I could pay with my visa...

Kind regards.

Andrzej

Ok so this is what I have done... After a bit of research I have purchased a pipe:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281088313485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and the pipe cleaners:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/330954852367?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

My question is: Does every pipe uses those cigarette-like filters? I have sent a question to the seller about it. Is it really necessary to use them or is this an optional feature?

Now when the money will be transferred to my bank account I am going to buy some tobacco and a pipe tool (possibly filters if I will need them).

Regards.

Andrzej

Never heard of using filters with a pipe. Where do you see that?

Never heard of using filters with a pipe. Where do you see that?

I was looking at one of the pipe videos and the guy disassembled the pipe in the middle and stuffed it with what looked like a cigarette-like filter...

Edit: Found the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSUfLPTRgl4

Also when e-bay searching for pipe I found some "pipe filters".

So was I wrong to assume that all the pipes use filters? I won't need them at all?

Kind regards.

Andrzej

No, you won't need them.

• Advertisement

No, you won't need them.

Fantastic... :) one less thing to spend money on.

So basically I will need:

a) pipe - check
    b) tobacco
    c) pipe cleaners - check
    d) pipe tool that looks sort of like a large nail ;)...
    e) some source of ignition like lighter or matches - check

and the only things that I will need to buy once in a while are tobacco and cleaners (assuming that nothing breaks).

So now I need to find a nice and cheap tobacco source...

Regards.

Andrzej

P.S. Any thoughts on the pipe / cleaners that I bought?

Advertisement