Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favorite Musical

• 12-08-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Ok simple enough question....what is your favorite musical?

For me it's a toss-up between Les Miserables and Phantom Of The Opera....and if I'm honest Les Mis edges Phantom out ever so slightly.

I just love the story and the music/songs in it, and it has some truly memorable characters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

Les Mis for me, I do like Oliver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Wicked - Defying Gravity gives me chills & I well up every single time.

That said, I'm seeing Les Mis on the West End next month & really looking forward to it, so it may become a joint favourite.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I always find this question so difficult. There are so many that I love and all for differing reasons.

Lion King for the gracefulness.
    Billy Elliot for the comic gold and heart wrenching story line.
    Wicked, Ms Saigon, Les Miserables and Phantom are up there for their music and technical staging.
    Then you have the classics like Fiddler, pirates.

It's just too hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Like The_Morrigan I find it so difficult to answer that question. Maybe a top 5 (in no particular order) Billy Elliot, Follies, Sunday in the Park with George, Tick Tick Boom, Wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Definitely The Phantom of the Opera. The music, the singing and the staging is outstanding.

Les Miserables is probably a close second. Having seen it onstage I do find it a bit long though which is disappointing. It does have some great songs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Definitely The Phantom of the Opera. The music, the singing and the staging is outstanding.

Les Miserables is probably a close second. Having seen it onstage I do find it a bit long though which is disappointing. It does have some great songs.

The running time is only 10 mins more than phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

According to these links The phantom is 2 hrs 30 mins http://www.officialtheatre.com/her-majestys-theatre/ and Les Miserables is 3 hours long http://www.officialtheatre.com/queens-theatre/.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTerrier42

Well that's a difficult question ... there are so many musicals that I absolutely love. If hard pressed though, I'd have to say Hamilton is my favorite with Wicked coming in at a close second.  
    My other favorites include Hair, Ragtime, Violet, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Newsies and RENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Hamilton is my favourite, followed closely behind by Phantom of The Opera. Then if I have to fill out a top five Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd and Love Never Dies (do not judge me for the last choice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hamilton is my favourite, followed closely behind by Phantom of The Opera. Then if I have to fill out a top five Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd and Love Never Dies (do not judge me for the last choice)

You chose paint never dries and asked not to be judged :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

athtrasna wrote: »
    You chose paint never dries and asked not to be judged :D

I'm pure trash when it comes to Phantom fanfic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It was Les Mis for a long time (followed closely by Phantom). I also have a great love in my soul for Cats, which was the first musical I ever saw (and on Broadway, no less). But I think Hamilton might have eclipsed them all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

went to Les Mis in london the other night for the 2nd time - and it was even better than the 1st which I did not think would be possible.. it moves me to places like nothing else,, i cannot even put it into words.. there are no words....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

It's not a stage musical but I have to add The Greatest Showman to my favourites now, it's definitely not flawless but the soundtrack is so joyous, I've listened to at least one song from it every day since I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Book of Mormon one of my favourite. Haven't seen les mis tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chess. Pity it is so rarely put on. Opening tomorrow in London. Was in the cheap seats tonight for it. It's fantastic. Really hope they will take it touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭castle_lover

First musical I ever saw, Rent, on both Broadway and West End. I fell in love with all things Musical. Was a bit of a Broadway Hopper for a few years when money was booming and before fuel taxes on planes lol.

I still always go back to Miss Saigon, was obsessed with Wicked in 2003 (didn’t win lottery for tickets tho) so didn’t see the musical in the flesh until 2006 in London multiple times, so many I’m actually sick of it now.

Also top contenders I’ve seen live .... Spring Awakening, The Apple Tree Revival, If/Then, Bombay Dreams, Hamilton, The Pirate Queen.

I need a trip ASAP for Matinee/Evening shows for a whole week :)

Advertisement