Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cueing up a machine.

• 22-07-2020 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi all. Wonder if anyone can help me.
    I have bought myself a couple of machines over the last few months.
    Drum machine
    TD3
    2 synths
    Sampler.
    Just for the craic.
    I have an issue though. I want to be able to use them all at once. I can link most of them to trigger through midi, but I want to be able to use it in a live setting so I bought myself a 2nd hand Behringer xenyx 1202. Everything seems fine on the mixer.
    The issue I have is I don't know how to cue the channels like a DJ mixer or even if its possible to cue like that. When I listen through the headphones I can hear all the channels going at once. Is there a way to isolate the channels that I haven't figured out yet

Cheers for looking.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi!
    Not with that mixer, get a mixer with Solo, Cue or PFL buttons (all similar, PFL means pre fader level) on the channels. With this new mixer and no channels soloed, you will hear the stereo mix, when a channel solo button is pressed, you will hear that channel only, or a combination of channels if you press multiple solos. I recommend the Yamaha MG10XUF

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

TroutMask wrote: »
    Hi!
    Not with that mixer, get a mixer with Solo, Cue or PFL buttons (all similar, PFL means pre fader level) on the channels. With this new mixer and no channels soloed, you will hear the stereo mix, when a channel solo button is pressed, you will hear that channel only, or a combination of channels if you press multiple solos. I recommend the Yamaha MG10XUF

Thanks very much. It's become more obvious that I can't do what I want to do. I have been looking at a soundcraft mixer seems to have everything I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

TroutMask wrote: »
    Hi!

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at some of the soundcraft mixers as a possibility.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at some of the soundcraft mixers as a possibility.

Happy days! The reason I was suggesting the Yamaha MG Series of mixers is because (well, apart from having a direct and present sound that suits electronic music production) they have these cool yellow 1 knob compressors on some of the channels—great for bigging up drum machines, samplers and bass synths! They also come with built in multi FX based on the Yamaha SPX series—useful gate reverbs for snare and snappy-sounding plates etc.

Traditionally, I didn't like Yamaha mixers, but the newer stuff delivers a large format console sound (ish) in a small box, I have 2 MG series mixers.

Desktop-sized Soundcraft stuff is direct competition for Mackie and Behringer, and pretty much delivers a similar sound quality—it's a company that rides on the reputation of its larger consoles without innovating in their small format range at all. And I'm a SC fan, I have 3 of their vintage consoles—still, I'd be very cautious when considering some of their modern stuff.

Advertisement