Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster bank start late openings till 7pm from monday the 15th

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All UB branches that close for Lunch do so at 12.30-1.30. This allows for customers who would normally take there lunch break at 12-1 or 1-2 to be still able to use the branch for a half hour either side of them closing.

Online banking has come on so far in the last few years, I fail to see why people still see the need for extended opening hours. Its not going to happen wide spread as people like.

Unfortunately current technology does not allow people to insert physical money into their laptops and PC and magic it into our account. Or to move money between Credit Unions (which have proper opening hours) and banks which I do all the time.

And the half hour at lunch time frame, useless. I can end up working anywhere in the country day to day and my lunch breaks are at 11am for 15mins so bank hours don't work for me or anyone in my line of work at all. We all have to request time off to use the bank even with online services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Unfortunately current technology does not allow people to insert physical money into their laptops and PC and magic it into our account. Or to move money between Credit Unions (which have proper opening hours) and banks which I do all the time.

And the half hour at lunch time frame, useless. I can end up working anywhere in the country day to day and my lunch breaks are at 11am for 15mins so bank hours don't work for me or anyone in my line of work at all. We all have to request time off to use the bank even with online services.

Fair enough on the physical cash end of things. Cash lodge ments via ATM is on the cards.

As for CU lodge ments, all CU have Bank accounts. Get the ref number off your CU for your account and do a simple Electronic Transfer online. If done via UB before 1pm it will be there the next day. If your CU does not allow for this and insist that a SO is the only way then your issue is with the CU not the Bank. Or you could use the old school chq and lodged it into the Opening Hour Friendly CU.

The same then applies for transfers to other banks.

As for you 15 min lunch break. You should talk to your boss about that ;)

I don't agree with the need for all branches to go and extend their opening hours. Sure they are never going to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Well would 9-5 Monday to Friday be too much to ask for? God forbid Saturday mornings? Halifax is/was always busy on a Saturday from what I could see so it clearly suited people.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We were chatting about this at lunch today, and interestingly enough, it turns out the branch I work in used to open from 10am until 1pm on Saturday mornings years ago, but there wasn't enough demand for it (like apparently in the 3 hours opening there might have only been 30 customers served) so they stopped it. Now my branch has always been a busy one, we're in a shopping centre so there's always footfall. I was really surprised to hear that so few people used it. :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, I remember that a refurbished branch of AIB was launched to much fanfare with extended opening hours and Saturday morning opening. Did it last - nope. Wasn't worth their while.

• Advertisement

Well, the fact that tons of UB branches are open late all this week and reports are the foot flow has been very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Well, the fact that tons of UB branches are open late all this week and reports are the foot flow has been very poor.

Perhaps, but most Halifax customers would not know they opened 'to help' us out. I dont see why banks open at 10 or 10.30 am - 4pm. The least I would expect is 9-5. :confused: Staff training on a wednesday morning is a COMPLETE joke and that sign had been up in my local BOI for years lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They actually do have staff training on a wednesday morning, there's set topics that each branch has to cover each week, it's usually compliance related, or product knowledge, but TBH, I don't see why it takes an extra half hour to cover off. We'd be in from about 9 - 9:15 anyway, and most of the sessions could be condensed into half an hour (IMO anyways). I think maybe having the 10:30 opening once a month would be better. Always hate being the one who has to open the doors on wednesday morning, there's usually about 10 or more people waiting outside, and I'd always wait and hold the door open until they're all in, but they always give me the evils when I'm standing there :(:o

almalahide wrote: »
    Perhaps, but most Halifax customers would not know they opened 'to help' us out. I dont see why banks open at 10 or 10.30 am - 4pm. The least I would expect is 9-5. :confused: Staff training on a wednesday morning is a COMPLETE joke and that sign had been up in my local BOI for years lol

Well the reason we open at 10 is to allow to get ready to open and again to comply with internal rules, do lodgement left in night safes etc. All very boring and most days its done in a half hour but again some branch really need the hour to get stuff done. As for the 10.30 on the wednesday, its a bit silly. But again it can vary from branch to branch.

Same goes for closing at 4. Its not just a case of closing the door and going home.

Advertisement