Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irishmen who fought for the British Empire in WW1 fought for 'European freedom'

• 15-02-2010 11:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

So said one of the guests on Sam Smyth's Sunday Supplement yesterday. The guest in question was using the name Elaine Byrne, which obviously couldn't be her real name when she's coming out with that.

Or could it?

Go to 54.10 here: 'I think there's a place to commemorate those who died for European freedom'

Anyway, does anybody here actually agree with her view? If so, I genuinely want to know its rational basis.

Did Irish people who fought with the British Empire in WW 1 die for European freedom? 78 votes

I agree with it
    0%
    I disagree with it
    44%
    regiRichardjoolsveersuper_furryThetamjquinnofrancie BradyIILordSutchdave2pvdstomprockinDr. Baltarjonniebgood1robby^5DeedsieRichTeakdaveCaveatPomBearIrishrossobluhypersquirrel 35 votes
    Anybody who fought with the British Empire anywhere fought for freedom
    47%
    HagardlofnepseanybikerDummypwdAuversSnickers Manwalrusgumbleneil_hoseymickoswestairzonEEEarnhem44Happy MondayCDfmScrambled eggunderthetidesbernardo macDazzler88happyfriday 37 votes
    Ahistorical, undereducated revisionist nonsense on an astonishing scale
    7%
    ManachLauderFlamed DivingTheReverendold_aussieowenc 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think this could turn into an interesting thread, but I am not sure I agree that WWI fits very neatly into those kind of jingo-istic 'European Freedom!' kinds of soundbites. Also the possible answers in your poll (3 & 4) seem a bit loaded to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Morlar wrote: »
    I think this could turn into an interesting thread, but I am not sure I agree that WWI fits very neatly into those kind of jingo-istic 'European Freedom!' kinds of soundbites. Also the possible answers in your poll (3 & 4) seem a bit loaded to me.

That's the general idea, on both counts. ;)

Personally, I find it astonishingly ahistorical and deeply revisionist for her to claim that an Irish person who fought on the side of the largest imperial power in world history in a war against another, albeit considerably smaller, imperial power, was somehow fighting for "European freedom". This is a state, the British state, which was founded upon a political ideology which more than any other in the recorded history of this planet has ridden roughshod over freedom. The British Empire was never designed to promote European freedom or indeed the freedom of anybody bar the British. It was the British Empire, the suppression of freedom, which created the British state. Or, to simplify it, without having an empire the Scots could not have been bought off enough to buy into the idea of Britishness. This is British History 101.

Byrne's belief is preposterous from start to finish, much more influenced by current political events than by the historical reality of World War I. She has clearly exchanged one form of nationalist mythmaking for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Anybody who fought with the British Empire anywhere fought for freedom
    No - they did not fight for European freedom.

They fought for many different reasons and Republicans should take note of this as well.

Some went for employment, some to serve King and country, some for adventure and many more to secure Irish political freedom through Home Rule within a United Kingdom framework.

They fought for many different reasons and Republicans should take note of this as well.

Some went for employment, some to serve King and country, some for adventure and many more to secure Irish political freedom through Home Rule within a United Kingdom framework.

Exactly. So, why on earth A) she is claiming they died for "European freedom" or
    B) we should be 'commemorating' them, remains to be answered.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Exactly. So, why on earth A) she is claiming they died for "European freedom" or
    B) we should be 'commemorating' them, remains to be answered.

Whilst I believe it's factually inaccurate to say that they died for 'european freedom' I still think it's correct to comemorate them. There is not one single thing un-nationalistic about that. They were Irishmen who fought bravely and died in outrageously large numbers on the Somme and at Galipoli and all over the battlefields of WWI -every single one of them recorded in history as 'GB casualties'. We should show them the respect they deserve as Irishmen - not merely as ba soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the only countries that got "freedom" were those that had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, although 30 years later they were brought into the "Soviet" empire, so freedom was short-lived.

Only an idiot would say that European freedom was the reason for fighting the war. The propaganda machines on all sides persuaded the cannon-fodder onto the battlefields, with conscription (excluding Ireland of course) thrown in just in case they didn't get the message.

And OP, I knew which one you voted for in the poll, even before I looked at the results.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Surely most Irishmen who fought simply did so for employment?

Surely most Irishmen who fought simply did so for employment?

A lot of them fought for Redmond's promise of home rule while a lot of northern Irishmen fought for the assurance that there would be no home rule.

I think many would have seen a career in the military as an escape from poverty - the chance to see a bit of the world.

Many probably believed the propaganda of 'poor little catholic belgium' where the women were being raped and the infants slaughtered. There were also propaganda stories about the germans crucifying the canadian and about the German factories for making soap out of the dead and so on. I think it's a safe bet that economic reasons were towards the top of the list and the same would probably go for most of the men who were there voluntarily (regardless of which country they came from).

A lot of them fought for Redmond's promise of home rule while a lot of northern Irishmen fought for the assurance that there would be no home rule.

I think many would have seen a career in the military as an escape from poverty - the chance to see a bit of the world.

Many probably believed the propaganda of 'poor little catholic belgium' where the women were being raped and the infants slaughtered. There were also propaganda stories about the germans crucifying the canadian and about the German factories for making soap out of the dead and so on. I think it's a safe bet that economic reasons were towards the top of the list and the same would probably go for most of the men who were there voluntarily (regardless of which country they came from).

People reflecting on that time aren't taking into account that, after the old 800 years situation, many people here, whether down-trodden or not, felt psychologically part of the "GB Club", a bit like the Stockholm Syndrome, so felt obliged to volunteer.

In Britain itself, a lot of press was given to the so-called cowards who were dodging the call to arms, and this attitude must have affected some people here, who volunteered so as not to be branded in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ejmaztec wrote: »
    In Britain itself, a lot of press was given to the so-called cowards who were dodging the call to arms, and this attitude must have affected some people here, who volunteered so as not to be branded in the same way.

Yes a lot of Irishmen were forced to fight. Connolly wrote frequently in the Workers' Republic about how factories were firing young men of military age so that they would be forced to enlist. I don't know for sure how accurate that interpretation is but I don't think its beyond belief.

Tbh there are a lot of reasons why Irishmen fought in the First World War, and most of them are noble if not a bit naive, especially in hindsight. However I find the phrase 'European Freedom' to be completely at odds with the facts of the war. Had EB said Irish Freedom, Ally Freedom, Small Nationalities Freedom, or numerous other phrases then it might have had some grain of truth, but the phrase European Freedom in this context seems pretty meaningless, and possibly influenced consciously or unconsciously by her own experience and opinion of the EU and what its purpose was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i dont think they even thought of european freedom, i have read a few books on irish men in the british army in WW1 and european freedom was never mentioned.

along with the reasons in the quote above a lot went to free belguim , of course we at home were not free from the british empire. not sure of the numbers , but some of the men locked out after the strikes of 1913 had to enlist in the army to feed their families . as has been written in countless posts before we should remember those irish who fought for freedom and bread in WW1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it is stretching things to say European freedom, but where would the new german empire have stopped? once they had conquered France, Germany would have had the largest navy and the biggest army of all the empirial powers.

Although it was a war between several empires (France, Turkey, Italy and even Belgium all had empires of a fashion) Germany were still the aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No they fought for King and Country, or to make "men" out of themselves.

WWI was pointless.

WWI was pointless.

I don't know about pointless, but my great-grandfather's brother gets a special mention on a memorial in Belgium, along with 35000 others who never got home.

http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1cemeteries/tynecotcemetery.htm

tyne_cot6.jpg
    tyne_cot4.jpg
    tyne_cot5.jpg

It was probably the only way that they could get anyone to visit Belgium.

it is stretching things to say European freedom, but where would the new german empire have stopped? once they had conquered France, Germany would have had the largest navy and the biggest army of all the empirial powers.

Although it was a war between several empires (France, Turkey, Italy and even Belgium all had empires of a fashion) Germany were still the aggressor.

If you're on the British/Allied side then yes Germany might be viewed as the aggressor. There's no evidence to suggest Germany intended to conquer France is there?

Whilst I believe it's factually inaccurate to say that they died for 'european freedom' I still think it's correct to comemorate them. There is not one single thing un-nationalistic about that. They were Irishmen who fought bravely and died in outrageously large numbers on the Somme and at Galipoli and all over the battlefields of WWI -every single one of them recorded in history as 'GB casualties'. We should show them the respect they deserve as Irishmen - not merely as ba soldiers.

Why commemorate them because "they were Irishmen who fought bravely [sic] and died in outrageously large numbers" if they did so defending the largest empire in world history? Is this a case of "love the sinner; hate the sin"?

1. Their Irish birth is subservient to their membership of the human race. In particular the fact that they were, despite the enormous attempts to dress it up as a result of the Peace Process, fighting for a power which was the antithesis of freedom, humanity or respect. Only in the most blinkered xenophobic John Bull mindset can the British Empire be seen as a paragon of freedom, justice or civilisation as it (apparently selflessly) ruled over 25% of this planet. This is the most salient point of all.

2. These people volunteered to fight on the side of the strongest power in the world, fully conscious of what the British Empire stood for. That they chose money and even "adventure" rather than not fight for the noxious political philosophy of British imperialism does not make them worthy of admiration, no more than I would admire murderers, bullies, thugs, opportunists and chancers in history generally. It is utterly preposterous to say that simply because they were Irish in a British uniform that they should be commemorated for doing this. That is about as nationalistic as nationalistic thinking comes.

3. Given that so many of these Irish-born volunteers thought the war would be over by Christmas 1914 - i.e. it was a handy number that would give them money and perhaps a bit of kudos in their Irish Parliamentary Party dominated locality - and that they were paid for fighting it, the degree of self interest in their motivations is far more convincing than any supposed courage or selfless noble sacrifice which they are (embarrassingly) supposed to have been motivated by.

4. That they died in huge numbers has little if anything to do with bravery. This is sheer after the fact politicising and glorification of their deaths, all motivated by nationalistic rather than humane sentiment; not much commemoration for the German soldiers in this framework, is there? Certainly, there would have been cases of bravery as they are when any group of humans are gathered together. But to contend that these guys were brave when they would be shot if they refused to attack is simply romanticising their reality. Their deaths had much more to do with the fact that 1) they joined an army for payment in order to fight in a war 2) true to the culture of British imperialism, the people commanding that war placed very little value upon the lives of Paddies or poor alike.

5. So, I'm left with a group of people who joined the forces of the largest power on earth in a tribal imperialist bloodbath out of a variety of motivations, the overwhelming number (to understate things) of which were of self-interest. This is a reality far from that propagated by the poppy-pushers of the Royal British Legion, a myth-making exercise which is facilitated by the Peace Process détente. Accordingly, I remain bereft of reasons other than tribal drumbeating and political expediency why such people should be commemorated.

where would the new german empire have stopped? once they had conquered France, Germany would have had the largest navy and the biggest army of all the empirial powers.

Yes, and it's such a joy to the world that the British would have nothing to do with such fanatical notions. Or maybe, seeing as you are British, it's a case of 'my country right or wrong', eh, Fratton Fred?

At any rate, if the German Empire stopped on even one-tenth of the road that the British Empire had travelled, humanity would have improved immeasurably.

OK. So, the British Empire was by far the largest in the world and Germany was the aggressor for challenging the post-Waterloo balance of power in Europe which had been favourable to Britain? Again, "aggression" appears to start when anybody challenges British power on the planet beyond Britain, Britain apparently having an inalienable right to dominate the planet. Are you not being just a tad (ahem), well, nationalistic in your worldview, Fratton Fred?

I think there's a ranting and raving forum that might suit you better.

There was a balance of power in Europe. Most of the european countries had their overseas empires and were happy with. Germany rocked the boat and sparked the war.

Ok, Britain was not blameless, but had no real interest in war, it had nothing to gain (although it ultimately did). Britain had a very small army at home, it didn't need one because of the strength of the Royal Navy. The Kaiser even taunted Britain about it's lack of manpower. France and Germany on the other hand had territorial disputes and there was a real threat of Germany invading France and capturing its navy. The new (very impressive) German navy comined with the French navy and the use of their ports was a real threat to Britain and its overseas territories. Britain's only reason for entering into an alliance with France (who they had fought in various wars for the previous 800 years) was to stop Germany obtaining the upper hand in Europe, nothing more.

Why commemorate them because "they were Irishmen who fought bravely [sic] and died in outrageously large numbers" if they did so defending the largest empire in world history? Is this a case of "love the sinner; hate the sin"?

1. Their Irish birth is subservient to their membership of the human race. In particular the fact that they were, despite the enormous attempts to dress it up as a result of the Peace Process,

There is no [sic] required to a description of their bravery. There are countless books and testimonies from the british, the French and the Germans that go to this. They were Irish.
    .....fighting for a power which was the antithesis of freedom, humanity or respect.

I would not go so far as to say 'antithesis of freedom, humanity or respect'. You are looking at imperial & colonial behaviour through the prism of a 21st century liberal perspective and expecting it to live up to 'Obama's promises'. All imperial powers behaved in a similair fashion whether it was the French, british or German. The british had been doing it for longer and were more successful. In the context of Ireland it should go without saying they were opposed to Irish freedom and this is a factor no one here has overlooked to begin with.
    Only in the most blinkered xenophobic John Bull mindset can the British Empire be seen as a paragon of freedom, justice or civilisation as it (apparently selflessly) ruled over 25% of this planet. This is the most salient point of all.

No one has submitted the rhetoric which you seem to be trying to counter here.

2. These people volunteered to fight on the side of the strongest power in the world, fully conscious of what the British Empire stood for. That they chose money and even "adventure" rather than not fight for the noxious political philosophy of British imperialism does not make them worthy of admiration, no more than I would admire murderers, bullies, thugs, opportunists and chancers in history generally. It is utterly preposterous to say that simply because they were Irish in a British uniform that they should be commemorated for doing this. That is about as nationalistic as nationalistic thinking comes.

You are basically trying to score internet points against dead people because they were economically distressed ?

3. Given that so many of these Irish-born volunteers thought the war would be over by Christmas 1914 - i.e. it was a handy number that would give them money and perhaps a bit of kudos in their Irish Parliamentary Party dominated locality - and that they were paid for fighting it, the degree of self interest in their motivations is far more convincing than any supposed courage or selfless noble sacrifice which they are (embarrassingly) supposed to have been motivated by.

There are equally dismissive people who would say the same thing about the Easter Rebels (or any preiod Irish republicans) - 'thought it would bring them kudos and advancement in their grubby little republican circles'. It would be just as incorrect to belittle their motives as you are trying to do here with the veterans of Galipoli and the Somme etc.

4. That they died in huge numbers has little if anything to do with bravery.

You are missing the point here. If 2 people die that is bad news. If 20,000.000 die then you can't dismiss the fact that the volume of the tragedy is a relevant factor.
    This is sheer after the fact politicising and glorification of their deaths, all motivated by nationalistic rather than humane sentiment;

No it is not. Your dismissiveness of these Irismen is where the politication in this thread begins and your seeking to undermine/ belittle the deaths of fellow Irishmen is not motivated out of some kind of benign 'humane sentiment'.
    not much commemoration for the German soldiers in this framework, is there?

No one here has said that the sacrifice of German troops should not be comemorated. Again you are countering rhetoric no one has put forward.
    Certainly, there would have been cases of bravery as they are when any group of humans are gathered together. But to contend that these guys were brave when they would be shot if they refused to attack is simply romanticising their reality. Their deaths had much more to do with the fact that 1) they joined an army for payment in order to fight in a war 2) true to the culture of British imperialism, the people commanding that war placed very little value upon the lives of Paddies or poor alike.

Dismissing their bravery as statistically non-relevant is not convincing. See point above - you may wish to read up on this, british French and German commanders have all commended the bravery of Irish troops from the perspective of either fighting with or against. The fact that their lives were not valued and many were wasted by their commanders is another factor no one here is disputing. From my perspective that just underlines all the more the reason to comemorate their sacrifices. The likes of which neither you nor I can even begin to comprehend.
    5. So, I'm left with a group of people who joined the forces of the largest power on earth in a tribal imperialist bloodbath out of a variety of motivations, the overwhelming number (to understate things) of which were of self-interest.

Basically this is correct. Yes they were human beings with families to feed.
    This is a reality far from that propagated by the poppy-pushers of the Royal British Legion, a myth-making exercise which is facilitated by the Peace Process détente. Accordingly, I remain bereft of reasons other than tribal drumbeating and political expediency why such people should be commemorated.

This may shed some light on things for you. There is also a book about the Kaisers pass that relates to the passage from Foch 'A Forlorn Hpoe' you may be interested to read before you dismiss these Irishmen & their bravery. Then again going from your post above you may just get a chuckle out of it.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Taoiseach_and_Government/History_of_Government/1916_Commemorations/Marshal_Foch%E2%80%99s_Tribute_to_the_Irish_Soldiers_who_died_in_the_First_World_War_.html

Marshal Foch’s Tribute to the Irish Soldiers who died in the First World War.
    PARIS, FRIDAY, Nov. 9th, 1928

THE Heroic Dead of Ireland have every right to the homage of the living for they proved in some of the heaviest fighting of the world war that the unconquerable spirit of the Irish race— the spirit that has placed them among the world’s greatest soldiers—still lives and is stronger than ever it was.

I had occasions to put to the test the valour of the Irishmen serving in France, and, whether they were Irishmen from the North or the South, or from one party or another, they did not fail me.

Some of the hardest fighting in the terrible days that followed the last offensive of the Germans fell to the Irishmen, and some of their splendid regiments had to endure ordeals that might justly have taxed to breaking-point the capacity of the finest troops in the world.

ON THE SOMME

Never once did the Irish fail me in those terrible days. On the Somme, in 1916, I saw the heroism of the Irishmen of the North and South, I arrived on the scene shortly after the death of that very gallant Irish gentleman, Major William Redmond. I saw Irishmen of the North and. the South forget their age-long differences, and fight side by side, giving their lives freely for the common cause.

In war there are times when the necessity for yielding up one’s life is the most urgent duty of the moment, and there were many such moments in our long drawn- out struggle. Those Irish heroes gave their lives freely, and, in honouring then I hope we shall not allow our grief to let us forgot our pride in the glorious heroism of these men.

They have left to those who come after a glorious heritage and an inspiration to duty that will live long after their names are forgotten. France will never forget her debt to the heroic Irish dead, and in the hearts of the French people to-day their memory lives as that of the memory of the heroes of old, preserved in the tales that the old people tell to their children and their children’s children.

A GERMAN TRIBUTE

I know of no better tribute to Irish valour than that paid after the armistice by one of the German High Command, whom I had known in happier days. I asked him if he could tell me when he had first noted the declining moral of his own troops, and he replied that it was after the picked troops under his command had had repeated experience of meeting the dauntless Irish troops who opposed them in the last great push that was expected to separate the British and French armies, and give the enemy their long-sought victory.

The Irishmen had endured such constant attacks that it was thought that they must be utterly demoralised, but always they seemed to find new energy with which to attack their assailants, and in the end the flower of the German Army withered and faded away as an effective force.

“THEY NEVER FAILED”

When the moment came for taking the offensive all along our line, it was these same worn Irish troops that we placed in the van, making call after call on their devotion, but never finding them fail us. In the critical days of the German offensive, when it was necessary that lives should be sacrificed by the thousand to slow down the rush of the enemy, in order that our harassed forces should have time to reform, it was on the Irish that we relied repeatedly to make these desperate stands, and we found them responding always.

Again and again, when the bravest were necessary to delay the enemy’s advance, it was the Irish who were ready and at all times the soldiers of Ireland fought with the rare courage and determination that has always characterised the race on the battlefield.

"WE SHALL NEVER FORGET”

Some of the flower of Irish chivalry rests in the cemeteries that have been reserved in France, and the French people will always have these reminders of the debt that France owes to Irish valour. We shall always see that the graves of these heroes from across the sea are lovingly tended, and we shall try to ensure that the generations that come after us shall never forget the heroic dead of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

I think people are getting confused between what Irishmen in WWI dies for and what they signed up for.

While many of them signed up out of loyalty to King and country, for employment in a secure and well paying job, for adventure etc. they did in fact die for freedom from European agrressors. Im not sure if "European freedom" is the correct term to use. It is from the case of the Allies, but if you were to ask the Austro-Hungarians or the Germans they would claim they were fighting for freedom within Europe. Freedom from Russian influences on the Balkan states and freedom from ever increasing rise of anarchy against traditionally monarchical and feudal systems.

I also think no matter where you stand on this, whether you approve of the reasons of Irishmen who joined, they ought to be commemorated for their bravery and courage. Why they should be left forgotten, when so many memorials dot the countryside dedicated to IRA militia, who ambushed and murdered innocent members of the country's police force for doing their job is absolutly bizarre to me.

• Advertisement

Indeed. There is also a forum policy which forbids ad hominem attacks. As you want to go there, there are also, I am sure, plenty of British forums for you to do what amounts to your own little Rule Britannia party piece. At any rate, it's a bit silly for a British person to come to an Irish discussion forum and talk about how terrible things would be if ever the German Empire challenged the British Empire and then get upset when told to stop being so, well, John Bull about it all.

There was a balance of power in Europe. Most of the european countries had their overseas empires and were happy with. Germany rocked the boat and sparked the war.

Ah, one law for those savages out in Africa (and, of course, Ireland) and another for the white, civilised Europeans. Is that, really, what this is about? The Germans threatened the sovereignty of white Europeans rather than of native black Africans? I feel like I'm back in 1914 and its enormous racism (oops bravery and heroism) already.

Ok, Britain was not blameless, but had no real interest in war, it had nothing to gain (although it ultimately did).

Considering it was holding on to power it gained entirely as a result of war and went to war to defend these benefits of war, this is not exactly a demonstration of Britain's aversion to war but rather of her aversion to any potential reduction in her power. Why must some people always dress their tribe's crass predictable self-interest up in noble clothing?
    Britain had a very small army at home, it didn't need one because of the strength of the Royal Navy.

In terms of its regular army, this is quite true comparatively speaking, although including the reserves with the regulars it numbered almost 700,000 men. Moreover, this 'small' force was a reflection of its perceived military needs there not a reflection of a sudden love of a peace other than Pax Britannica.

There is no [sic] required to a description of their bravery. There are countless books and testimonies from the british, the French and the Germans that go to this. They were Irish.

When the choice is between taking your chances on the field of battle or being shot for refusing to, the 'bravery' in question looks very different as it has been stripped of its voluntary aspect. There is absolutely nothing served by projecting values like bravery on to men fighting in a blood bath with such choices. Judging by your quote from Foch, regarding the 'unconquerable spirit of the Irish race' this is what is known as either black humour or plámás of the highest order. The 'unconquerable' Irish. How ironic. This is really very insulting stuff.
    I would not go so far as to say 'antithesis of freedom, humanity or respect'. You are looking at imperial & colonial behaviour through the prism of a 21st century liberal perspective and expecting it to live up to 'Obama's promises'.

I'm not. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a guy who has spent years reading English/British history and viewing it within its contemporary context. In this case, racism, supremacism, sectarianism and class hatred (among other values).
    All imperial powers behaved in a similair fashion whether it was the French, british or German. The british had been doing it for longer and were more successful.

Precisely. So, let's just say while I'm against imperial powers, I'm particularly against imperial powers who have been more successfully imperialistic than others, just as I would be more against a man who murdered 20 people rather than 3 people. It doesn't take much courage to sign up to fight with the biggest and most advanced tyrant. Moreover, this is not much faithfulness to historical context; you have omitted all those in Ireland who refused to fight for the British Empire, people who demonstrate that there were contemporary alternatives. Many of these Irishmen, in sharp contrast to joining the greatest military power on earth, fought for no pay for one of the greatest underdog causes in Europe, Irish freedom. That took courage.

You are basically trying to score internet points against dead people because they were economically distressed ?

Interesting twist. If there is "point scoring" it is against those people who today are trying to dress these guys up as something they were not: a courageous and brave group of men fighting a noble cause. The reality was far more different to that fantasy. As for this supposed "economic distress", there were many alternatives such as stay at home like thousands of Irish Volunteers did or emigrate to America like millions of Irish before them. Indeed what would all these people have been doing had there been no war?

Fighting for economic benefit is not the same as fighting for economic necessity.

There are equally dismissive people who would say the same thing about the Easter Rebels (or any preiod Irish republicans) - 'thought it would bring them kudos and advancement in their grubby little republican circles'.

That's a non sequitur. The Irish Parliamentary Party was the dominant force in every nationalist locality in 1914. The republicans were not, and neither were they when the Rising started in 1916. Furthermore, the financial or social benefits which a republican could get for turning up in 1916 to take on the biggest military power on earth were at the time negligible if not comical when contrasted with what a volunteer into the British forces would and could receive.

You are missing the point here. If 2 people die that is bad news. If 20,000.000 die then you can't dismiss the fact that the volume of the tragedy is a relevant factor.

This is true, but by the same thinking just because 1.14 million people died in the British Empire's forces in World War II does not mean these people are somehow more 'brave' or 'courageous' than if a couple of hundred people had died. It comes down to whether or not you believe that the British Empire represented some greater moral good on earth; if you do, then dying for it would implicitly be brave and courageous.

No it is not. Your dismissiveness of these Irismen is where the politication in this thread begins and your seeking to undermine/ belittle the deaths of fellow Irishmen is not motivated out of some kind of benign 'humane sentiment'.

Actually, no. Once again, you proved my point by pointing to the 'Irish' aspect of those who fought with the British Empire. If this 'commemoration' business were about commemorating sacrifice etc, the Irishness of these people would be irrelevant. Your mention of their Irishness twice in one sentence shows that their nationality, rather than merely their deaths, is what is being exploited. This entire 'commemoration' business is promoted by people who seek to commemorate those who died on one side, and one side only: the British side. How anybody can contend it is not politicised and wrapped up in the myths of British nationalism is hard to fathom.

No one here has said that the sacrifice of German troops should not be comemorated. Again you are countering rhetoric no one has put forward.

I have yet to see the poppy pushers of the Royal British Legion advocating a commemoration ceremony which includes the Germans or anybody else. It's a strictly British nationalist affair, this "commemoration" of World War I business.

Dismissing their bravery as statistically non-relevant is not convincing.

And contending that they were 'brave' to join the greatest military power on earth, in a war which many thought would be over by Christmas 1914 and in a war where if they did not face the odds of death in battle they would face the certainty of execution is to place all 1.14 million in a category which they do not belong. If they joined a weak country to fight against a powerful aggressor, you might have a point about bravery and courage.

Basically this is correct. Yes they were human beings with families to feed.

Again, there is a critical distinction between economic benefit and economic necessity. Ireland in 1914 was not Ireland in 1847. There were, as pointed out above, plenty of alternatives to joining the most organised and successful group of thugs on the planet (who, incidentally, were profoundly anti-Irish and anti-Catholic, a reality in 1914 that is unsurprisingly brushed over today.)

When the choice is between taking your chances on the field of battle or being shot for refusing to, the 'bravery' in question looks very different as it has been stripped of its voluntary aspect.

They were not consrcipted so they did have a choice. Having said that their options were probably more limited than you seem to allow for (going by your later comments about how they could have emigrated instead etc).
    There is absolutely nothing served by projecting values like bravery on to men fighting in a blood bath with such choices.

You are wrong about the choices to begin with in my view.
    Judging by your quote from Foch, regarding the 'unconquerable spirit of the Irish race' this is what is known as either black humour or plámás of the highest order.

I see no reason to believe that the words of Foch were meant in a spirit of black humour. They were sincerely delivered and recieved. You can, from your perspective of 80 yrs later (comments made in 1928), assign it to the realm of black humour if you prefer but you are wrong.
    The 'unconquerable' Irish. How ironic. This is really very insulting stuff.

There is nothing insulting about those comments. He clearly meant unconquerable on the battlefields of France during WWI. It was intended to compliment and show his respect and admiration for Irish troops - it was not presented as a catch all accurate reflection of Irish history throughout the ages as I am sure you and I and every single other person reading them are well aware.
    I'm not. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a guy who has spent years reading English/British history and viewing it within its contemporary context. In this case, racism, supremacism, sectarianism and class hatred (among other values).

I hold to my point that your perspective on this issue is not accurate in context - it's from a judgemental 21st century liberal mindset.
    t doesn't take much courage to sign up to fight with the biggest and most advanced tyrant.

You are assuming that those men Irish, english Welsh and Scottish who signed up did so with the belief of invincibility. I would make the point that no more or less than the Germans/Italians Russians etc.
    Moreover, this is not much faithfulness to historical context; you have omitted all those in Ireland who refused to fight for the British Empire, people who demonstrate that there were contemporary alternatives.

Actually I have been involved in many threads here about things like the Moore St monuments and so on. I have no issue with commemorating Irish republicans whatsoever. However those 2 things are not mutually exclusive (as you seem to believe).

Many of these Irishmen, in sharp contrast to joining the greatest military power on earth, fought for no pay for one of the greatest underdog causes in Europe, Irish freedom. That took courage.

Again you are countering rhetoric which is not being put forward by anyone. It does not undermine or belittle Irish republicanism in any way shape or form to commemorate the Irish who fought bravely in and died during WWI.

Interesting twist. If there is "point scoring" it is against those people who today are trying to dress these guys up as something they were not: a courageous and brave group of men fighting a noble cause.

I have never said that WWI was fought for a 'noble cause'. The men doing the fighting and dying were not doing so because they believed in imperial intrigue. You have to look at their motives in the context of what they knew and what was widely known & believed at that time.

The reality was far more different to that fantasy. As for this supposed "economic distress",

Economic distress in the period 1914-1918 in Ireland is clearly not 'supposed'.
    there were many alternatives such as stay at home like thousands of Irish Volunteers did or emigrate to America like millions of Irish before them. Indeed what would all these people have been doing had there been no war?

We have already established that there was no conscription - they chose to go. This fact does not undermine their sacrifice.
    Fighting for economic benefit is not the same as fighting for economic necessity.

AS mentioned repeatedly throughout this thread the Irish fought in WWI for a wide variety of reasons.
    That's a non sequitur. The Irish Parliamentary Party was the dominant force in every nationalist locality in 1914. The republicans were not, and neither were they when the Rising started in 1916. Furthermore, the financial or social benefits which a republican could get for turning up in 1916 to take on the biggest military power on earth were at the time negligible if not comical when contrasted with what a volunteer into the British forces would and could receive.

You made a spurious point about how Irish men fought in WWI for 'kudos' - I countered your point by saying you could just as easily level as inaccurate an accusation as that against Irish republicans.

I did not say I agreed with either preposterous allegation.

I merely used it to point out the ridiculousness of your original claim by turning it around.

Having said that you are forgetting the simple fact that WWI veterans were shunned in post war Irish society - had to hide their medals, shut away in hospitals and excluded from jobs within state post independence. Whereas republican veterans obviously fared a lot better though clearly at the time we are speaking about this was not forseeable to either side.
    It comes down to whether or not you believe that the British Empire represented some greater moral good on earth;

No it does not.
    Actually, no. Once again, you proved my point by pointing to the 'Irish' aspect of those who fought with the British Empire. If this 'commemoration' business were about commemorating sacrifice etc, the Irishness of these people would be irrelevant. Your mention of their Irishness twice in one sentence shows that their nationality, rather than merely their deaths,

As an Irishman I have obviously more interest in the subject of commemorating the sacrifice of Irishmen than I have in commemorating the sacrifice of Indonesians or malaysians or eskimos etc.
    is what is being exploited.

Commemorating these men is not exploitation. If there is any exploitation in this discussion it would be in the sphere of seeking to undermine their sacrifice out of a misguided, immature sense of republicanism.
    This entire 'commemoration' business is promoted by people who seek to commemorate those who died on one side, and one side only: the British side. How anybody can contend it is not politicised and wrapped up in the myths of British nationalism is hard to fathom.

No it is not prompted by a wish to commemorate one side exclusively. I have zero interest in playing down or undermining the role of the German/Russian soldier throughout WWI etc. It is merely that I am Irish - not German or Russian so in this context it is perfectly reasonable to have a primary interest in the commemoration of Irishmen before Germans or anyone else.

You are making a completely unfounded assumption to get from that to the notion that this means that I do not also respect their sacrifices too.

I have yet to see the poppy pushers of the Royal British Legion advocating a commemoration ceremony which includes the Germans or anybody else. It's a strictly British nationalist affair, this "commemoration" of World War I business.

You would have to take that up with them.

And contending that they were 'brave' to join the greatest military power on earth, in a war which many thought would be over by Christmas 1914 and in a war where if they did not face the odds of death in battle they would face the certainty of execution is to place all 1.14 million in a category which they do not belong. If they joined a weak country to fight against a powerful aggressor, you might have a point about bravery and courage.

You are wrong to think that all Irishmen to volunteer thought the war would be over by christmas 1914.

Notwithstanding the fact that a great many volunteered throughout the entire duration of the war - it was not a case that they all volunteered mid 1914.
    Again, there is a critical distinction between economic benefit and economic necessity. Ireland in 1914 was not Ireland in 1847. There were, as pointed out above, plenty of alternatives to joining

Of course there were alternatives - that is what makes it more impressive from my perspective - that they chose to go. They volunteered rightly or wrongly to risk their lives at forsake their homelife to go to fight a cause that they believed was right. This is not about whether or not with 20/20 hindsight, and with instant access to all of the facts uncovered in the previous 100 yrs and which were at that time unknown to those men, they made a decision at that time based on what they knew for a variety of reasons. Second guessing them to me serves no purpose.

They were not consrcipted so they did have a choice. Having said that their options were probably more limited than you seem to allow for (going by your later comments about how they could have emigrated instead etc).

Too much quote dissection going on for me to look at everything, but on this point emigration was pretty much closed off from 1915 onwards, and was one of the many contributing factors to the Easter Rising. I have no idea who's argument this helps or hinders though for the reasons mentioned above.

Indeed. There is also a forum policy which forbids ad hominem attacks. As you want to go there, there are also, I am sure, plenty of British forums for you to do what amounts to your own little Rule Britannia party piece. At any rate, it's a bit silly for a British person to come to an Irish discussion forum and talk about how terrible things would be if ever the German Empire challenged the British Empire and then get upset when told to stop being so, well, John Bull about it all.

Ah, one law for those savages out in Africa (and, of course, Ireland) and another for the white, civilised Europeans. Is that, really, what this is about? The Germans threatened the sovereignty of white Europeans rather than of native black Africans? I feel like I'm back in 1914 and its enormous racism (oops bravery and heroism) already.

Considering it was holding on to power it gained entirely as a result of war and went to war to defend these benefits of war, this is not exactly a demonstration of Britain's aversion to war but rather of her aversion to any potential reduction in her power. Why must some people always dress their tribe's crass predictable self-interest up in noble clothing?

In terms of its regular army, this is quite true comparatively speaking, although including the reserves with the regulars it numbered almost 700,000 men. Moreover, this 'small' force was a reflection of its perceived military needs there not a reflection of a sudden love of a peace other than Pax Britannica.

How is any of that shoite relevant?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Keep it civil please.

BossArky wrote: »
    Keep it civil please.

Certainly boss.

Rebelheart, you accuse the British empire of being Xenophobic, then go off into a xenophobic rant.

There is nothing I have posted that supports any of what you have said. It has nothing to do with a John Bull Spirit, or any other such **** that you have come out with.

WWI was a war between the home lands of several empires, none of which could claim to be any better than any of the others, but this was, to an extent, irrelevant.

If your Dad is a scum bag and another scum bag starts a fight with him, you aren't going to walk away and say feck him, you are going to stand up for your Dad.

Britain was at war with Germany, it did not start the war and was not in a position to claim any moral high ground, but it wasn't going to lay down and die. The same applies to France and Russia, neither of them were going to roll over just because they had empires and were the bad boys of the day.

what the **** any of this has to do with "Savages" i do not know.:rolleyes:

None of what you have posted is relevant to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Ok, Britain was not blameless, but had no real interest in war, it had nothing to gain (although it ultimately did). Britain had a very small army at home, it didn't need one because of the strength of the Royal Navy. The Kaiser even taunted Britain about it's lack of manpower. France and Germany on the other hand had territorial disputes and there was a real threat of Germany invading France and capturing its navy. The new (very impressive) German navy comined with the French navy and the use of their ports was a real threat to Britain and its overseas territories. Britain's only reason for entering into an alliance with France (who they had fought in various wars for the previous 800 years) was to stop Germany obtaining the upper hand in Europe, nothing more.

So Irishmen fighting in the BA may have thought they were fighting to gain Home Rule, to stop home Rule, for European freedom but they were in fact duped: The fight was to protect British Imperial Interests. I agree with you here.

Those with graves would be turning in them if they could Im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Would we fondly remember Irishmen if they had fought "bravely" for the SS on the eastern front? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Would we fondly remember Irishmen if they had fought "bravely" for the SS on the eastern front? :rolleyes:

That might be a relevant question if ;

a) they had fought with honour and were not associated with warcrimes
    b) there had been hundreds of thousands of Irishmen involved.
    c) If it was credible to say that they fought for varied reasons including that they were sincerely misled by the propaganda of the day.

If those 3 conditions were met it would be a remotely comparable hypothetical paralell universe kind of scenario.

What is the meaning of that post? I take it you are against honouring the Irishmen of WWI and that your looking to throw a holocaust reference into this thread for some kind of well thought out legitimate reason ? ie not just scraping the barrel or anything.

Advertisement