Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fishing for Dummies

• 14-10-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow anglers and the like,

Looking for lots of advice, I used to fish as a young boy with my father and want to discover the joy of fishing again

My father passed away in January of this year, diagnosed with cancer and died within 5 weeks, anyways I have been sorting out his Barna shed/ Man cave - sad but has to be done and besides garden tools and the like I have been sorting out his fishing gear. He used to love fishing in Tramore bay with a friend of his who had a small boat.

I have brought some of his rods/ reels etc back to Cork with me and I would like to so them myself so here go the questions!!

Before I start couple of basic points from my side:

1. Will be a catch and release angler, want to enjoy the tussle with the fish and return, unharmed, to the water

2. Will be using barb-less hooks, easier to remove and less trauma for any fish caught if I ever manage to catch fish

3. Would prefer to fish from shoreline/ piers

4. Will be in the East Cork/ West Waterford area

Firstly time of year:
    Yes I know it getting dark and the weather aint the best however would fellow anglers still advise fishing this time of year?

If so would I be right in assuming using spinning lures etc would be of little use or not?

If the more experienced anglers on this forum recommend fishing this time of year where in the East Cork/ West Waterford coastline would you recommend?

And what time of the day would be best.

When I was a youngster fishing with my Dad I was only using spinning lures so would I continue or should I try other lures/ bait?

Any websites you would recommend?

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Any assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Any assistance?

Gone fishing?

or...

Rather be fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

It really depends on what kind of gear you have.
    If it's all spinning gear then it's not a great time to be starting out. You'll still get a few fish tho.

If you have beach gear, 12ft+ rods and decent reels then east cork/west waterford is probably the best place in Ireland to be fishing over winter.
    Whatever gear you have, I'd recommend changing the line if it's mono. If they haven't been used in a while and stored in a timber shed it's probably after deteriorating. If it's braid then it's more than likely perfect.

Put down what kind of gear you have and I'll try my best to advise where to go to get a few fish.

Condolences on the loss of your Father.
    The best advice I can give you is just get out and fish my friend. Nothing better than fishing a quiet empty shore at first light. Usually for me any fish caught are secondary to the experience of being out in nature. Still nice to catch something though.

The best place for tips and advice is often a local angling shop, not all but some have very friendly owners/staff who are happy to chat and help out with fishing spots and advice. YouTube also has thousands of useful videos.

Enjoy and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There's a few boardie anglers down that direction who can give you advice. Youghal for example is a great spot in the winter for cod and whiting. The latter are fairly simple to catch with small hooks and old mackerel as bait. That's just one example. As red said stick up what gear you have and you'll get more direct advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

What sort of rods, reels and gear do you currently have? This will determine what fishing will be easiest to try.
    There still is lure fishing to be done about the place. Bait fishing begins to take off from here on in too.

Will get some photos of equipment etc up on Sunday cheers

.red. wrote: »
    It really depends on what kind of gear you have.
    If it's all spinning gear then it's not a great time to be starting out. You'll still get a few fish tho.

If you have beach gear, 12ft+ rods and decent reels then east cork/west waterford is probably the best place in Ireland to be fishing over winter.
    Whatever gear you have, I'd recommend changing the line if it's mono. If they haven't been used in a while and stored in a timber shed it's probably after deteriorating. If it's braid then it's more than likely perfect.

Put down what kind of gear you have and I'll try my best to advise where to go to get a few fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Will get some photos of equipment etc up on Sunday cheers

No real need for pics, the length and casting weights will do to say what they're suitable for.

OK will send a number of pics, firstly reels!!

Secondly some pictures of the Rods

There is a fine beach caster
    along with an unused fly fishing rod
    and a spinning rod i think

• Advertisement

Some more rods

Finally some weights and lures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Hey op, you have a mix of gear there, but not much of it is particularly well suited to winter shore fishing. But you could take your spinning rod and reel and fish for whiting somewhere like the tip of ferrypoint near youghal.

Your rig would be something like simple like a 2 hook flapper with a 3 ounce weight. Size 1 hooks baited with small strips of mackerel

Hi thanks for the reply yes a right Mish mash of equipment.

From other respondents I gather the fishing reels ain't the best and I should replace them at some stage

mawk wrote: »
    Hey op, you have a mix of gear there, but not much of it is particularly well suited to winter shore fishing. But you could take your spinning rod and reel and fish for whiting somewhere like the tip of ferrypoint near youghal.

Your rig would be something like simple like a 2 hook flapper with a 3 ounce weight. Size 1 hooks baited with small strips of mackerel

Advertisement