Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think a cold and frosty Christmas period is about the best we can hope for this year and compared to a mild Atlantic setup or blowtorch south-westerlies it's the next best thing to deliver something seasonal this Christmas. I am remaining confident that we will finally get our snow but it may not be till sometime in January or February. Let's hope we're still not waiting by 1st of March still wishing for our first flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

The vortex is under pressure from a few sides here. It could lead to something good down the line. Perhaps Amy Butler maybe right afterall.

Who the hell is Amy Butler?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS run looks cold and dry for Christmas and the run up to New Year's Day. A cold northerly pushes south across the country on Christmas Eve introducing very cold winds.

GFSOPEU12_240_1.png

A chance of very light wintry showers across the northern and north-western coasts, these do not penetrate very far inland. We mostly look dry, however as we move towards New Year's the winds shift more north-easterly and we start to see Snow showers moving north to south down the Irish sea start pushing into eastern coastal areas of Leinster by Wednesday 30th of December.

Remaining bitterly cold from the 24th of December to the end of FI on Wednesday 30th December.

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

GFSOPUK12_384_2.png

GFSOPUK12_384_5.png

GFSOPUK12_384_53.png

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd absolutely take that for Christmas - cold and dry is significantly better than mildish and wet... I can't think of anything worse weather-wise than say 12c, dull and damp on Christmas day. Snow is top prize, but this absolutely 2nd prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'd absolutely take that for Christmas - cold and dry is significantly better than mildish and wet... I can't think of anything worse weather-wise than say 12c, dull and damp on Christmas day. Snow is top prize, but this absolutely 2nd prize.

This really. Snow is so rare in December especially down here in Cork that a snowy Christmas is never on mind. Cold and dry is much more achievable and really enjoyable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who the hell is Amy Butler?!

http://amyhawesbutler.blogspot.com/

ECM now very similar to the GFS with a cold and dry Christmas Eve.

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

ECU0-240.GIF?14-0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's getting a bit more interesting but some evolution to go yet before getting excited.

It's getting a bit more interesting but some evolution to go yet before getting excited.

The main thing is that it does look like this won't be another 13C and damp Christmas Day. A cold and dry Christmas will please most people. Hopefully this will evolve more in our favour towards something colder and snowier towards New Years and into first week of January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

It may be in the far reaches of FI but that is the coldest chart from the GFS I think I've seen since The Beast. No certainty of course but trending cold for sure now with the ECM churning them out too.

anim_myv8.gif

anim_sor3.gif

UW144-7_prb6.GIF

• Advertisement

A0922FFA-23AC-4358-815C-004A13FBE0C6.jpeg.a0726e77fdcdba4487f69d0bd277846b.jpeg

The latest EC46 update makes for pleasant viewing if you are fond of cold spells. . We could be on the cusp of something noteworthy after Christmas. Steve Murr might be making a return to Netweather soon.

tonights pub run is most interesting. Perhaps a notch milder over Christmas but still generally cold. We try to get in a warm sector from the Atlantic on Monday 28th of December with a band of heavy rain approaching Ireland from the west. it will still be fairly chilly in Leinster but turning much milder across the west temporarily.

GFSOPEU18_336_1.png

On Tuesday 29th this band of rather heavy rain attempts to cross Ireland while at the same time winds are very quickly turning into the east.

GFSOPEU18_372_1.png

The rain turns to sleet and snow over much of Leinster and Ulster as cold easterlies start to undercut this band of precipitation moving in from the west.

GFSOPUK18_372_53.png

We finish on Wednesday 30th of December with winds in from the east and temperatures lowering.

GFSOPEU18_384_1.png

The band of rain, sleet and snow pushes back into the west and Wintry showers of rain, sleet and snow starting moving in from the Irish sea in a stiff easterly wind.

GFSOPUK18_384_53.png

Showers would be of rain or sleet near the coasts but should fall as snow futher inland.

GFSOPUK18_384_5.png

A very interesting run by tonights GFS, a brief northerly over Christmas, then the mild tries to return but in a battleground type situation the cold wins and we then get an easterly, although not a bitterly cold easterly, looks a bit marginal in terms of snowfall. This is at the very extended range of the GFS so no doubt it won't play out like this but interesting to see. The cold trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It mirrors very much what the CFS was showing two weeks ago though which is interesting. The much maligned CFS showed the late spring 2018 beast from the east from a long way out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The vast majority of Christmas days I can remember in the past 40 years or so have been just like that - in fact I would go further and say the 25th of Dec is probably the least likely day within the 3 winter months to see falling snow. Remember far more snowy Paddy's day and Easters:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s what made Christmas 2010 so incredible. 40cm of snow in the garden in Dublin on Christmas Day, absolute magic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The lying snow on that Xmas day was nice alright, but I think 2004 was my most memorable one. It was a cold and dry Xmas Eve, went to bed and woke up Xmas morning to a serious covering of snow and more falling. Think it ended up being around 6 inches in the end. Real movie stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’s what made Christmas 2010 so incredible. 40cm of snow in the garden in Dublin on Christmas Day, absolute magic

I'm not sure it was all that magic by Christmas Day after it having been there (in most of the country) for an entire month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

We actually had the first very heavy falls of snow as early as November in 2010. From memory there was snow lying on the ground in Dublin for 6 consecutive weeks up until just after Christmas even though there was one or two milder spells in between, the snow fell so heavy that year. I even remember there was still some snow on the ground in a local car park in late February 2011 where massive amounts had been pushed up into against a wall and it took over 2 months to fully thaw.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm not sure it was all that magic by Christmas Day after it having been there (in most of the country) for an entire month!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It still looks good for the Christmas period around Christmas Day onward. Maybe some snow around for the big day.

Not going to get too excited unless the trend stays in place or improves next few days.

41503770-917A-4303-A8C1-60F7721ACC26.png.a663a3490c46bac6f67065e9e2ec236b.png

We have seen so many promising ECM 240 hours charts before that amounted to nothing. Maybe this one will comes to pass! If it did, we could be in for a sustained cold spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looks like some kind of cold snap is fairly likely for xmas atm, probably just a toppler would be my guess. If we are lucky though and get something like the ecm 10 day chart perhaps a cold spell.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Too Northwesterly on latest GFS. Might bring sleet to Knock but rain to rest of NW. Milder slightly Xmas day 7 to 8c. Light showers. Light frost at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

18z gfs again has a cool Xmas day but with proper, easterly sourced, cold before NYE

Yes, it's a very good run indeed. Too bad it's the so- called pub run. Tomorrow it will likely have changed again to something less good, but the trend is certainly for something a bit more seasonal for the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

If this trend continues through tomorrow I will start to take notice, very unusual NH patterns appearing on latter frames of the GFS and ECM runs today. In the extended range of the GFS we have what looks like a stratospheric warming appearing in tandem with monster northern blocking. All well out in FI for now but maybe just maybe something special is about to develop... We are overdue a proper late December/January cold spell.

last nights pub run was very good, today's doesn't look quite as good but it is clear we are still heading towards a cold spell from Christmas to possibly New Year's Day. For the most part it looks dry, not much in the way of snow potential so far but if we do manage to get any showers going they would most likely be very wintry in nature.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are looking genuinely very cold with temperature anomolies suggesting temperatures between 4 and 6C below average for late December.

ECMOPUK12_192_34.png

The ECM extended range is predicting a very cold first 10 days of January and then signs of a warm up and possible return of the Atlantic into the second half of January. Much of this cold will involve high pressure so I don't think we will be seeing much in the way of precipitation once we get the cold in place. Perhaps with a bit of luck we will get something more easterly and unstable as we head into the new year.

A cold temperature anomoly is predicted by the Ecm for first half of January, this is a long way out but it is looking very promising. This is indicating a very long fetch easterly stretching from the heartland of central Russia right across to Ireland. Fingers crossed this verifies and hopefully most of us will see some flakes by this stage.

render-worker-commands-7745797d4-lnckp-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-gZNvn8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

That pub run on the GFS is hopefully drunk. Dont think that would bring much wintriness for Christmas bar hailstones. Still well over a week away but trend is cool to cold. Still that run has a few mild days thrown in too. Could it be one of those mild cold mild cold Christmases

yep an absolute turd of a pub run tonight. A brief cool spell and then back to the Atlantic by New Years. No real northerly and not a sniff of an easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep an absolute turd of a pub run tonight. A brief cool spell and then back to the Atlantic by New Years. No real northerly and not a sniff of an easterly.

And that’s exactly what will most likely happen. We have had more then enough let downs on here over the last 10 years for people to know better to not get excited until it’s well into the 96hr timeframe at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

pad199207 wrote: »
    And that’s exactly what will most likely happen. We have had more then enough let downs on here over the last 10 years for people to know better to not get excited until it’s well into the 96hr timeframe at the least.

Good point but it’s one run and it’s the GFS which keeps chopping and changing. The GFS 18z pub run, even more unreliable. Let’s see what happens over The next few days with ECM, UKMO and GFS. I don’t think anyone is expecting a lot of snow but most of us would like to see a seasonable spell over Christmas with frost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement