Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a coastal cycle route between Dun Laoghaire and Howth?

• 27-09-2020 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm wondering if there is a cycle route between Dun Laoghaire and Howth where the sea will always be in view? I'd like to do a scenic cycle of Dublin bay. Google maps sent me through Dublin city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'm wondering if there is a cycle route between Dun Laoghaire and Howth where the sea will always be in view? I'd like to do a scenic cycle of Dublin bay. Google maps sent me through Dublin city centre.

Where else are you going to cross the Liffey?? And the Dublin port section would not be the best.. but you could go there, through East point business park via the back entrance and would be back on the howth road on a few minutes.

whomitconcerns has hit the nail on the head there - the city is on the mouth of the Liffey, which leads into the bay, so if you want to go from one side of the river to the other without crossing through the city you'd have to go around the M50.

I've done a couple of charity walks which took a coastal route from Howth-Dun Laoghaire. They had to stop traffic to allow people through East Wall, so I think the route might be a bit dangerous on a bike. That said, cutting through East Wall is the most coastal route, as I'm sure you saw on Google Maps. You'll pass the East Link toll but on a bike you can just carry on through for free. Through East Wall and take a right shortly after Lidl/Aldi will put you on a bike track through to Fairview and then it's plain sailing to Howth.

Granted I've not done it myself but Google let me map it out here: https://goo.gl/maps/qAqAhhypsDWEvBoZ9

Advertisement