Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There was a nice sunset this evening, hopefully that link works.

You need to go into "get share links and copy "BBCode (Forums)", don't use the image embed, just paste it and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You need to go into "get share links and copy "BBCode (Forums)", don't use the image embed, just paste it and that's it.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport has now recorded 2037mm of rain breaking its 2015 record of 2009mm to have its wettest year on record.

Quite remarkable considering how consistently dry it was all through the spring and we had another nice spell in August/Sept. Really shows how crap the rest of the year has been

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

See this is why I appreciate the 14c and windy/showery days we often get in December that you all seem to hate, a far cry better than this nonsense at least it isn't painful when you step outside and you don't need your heat on in the day.

I'm with you Thelonious, I have no problem whatsoever with 14 degrees in Dec.

The only way to describe today is bitterly cold + miserable and just for fun plenty of rain to soak you to the bone.

Went to shops but so grateful that I didn't actually have to go anyway today if I didnt want to.

To be honest I think you are gone soft. Embrace the cold, refreshing! :)

I have no problem with cold weather, like St. Stephen Day was cold but lovely + dry here in Dublin until about 4pm.

However freezing cold + rain since then is just horrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

appledrop wrote: »
    I have no problem with cold weather, like St. Stephen Day was cold but lovely + dry here in Dublin until about 4pm.

However freezing cold + rain since then is just horrible!

Patience. The next few days will be a lot drier. Perfect walking weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Patience. The next few days will be a lot drier. Perfect walking weather.

Ah I can wait it's Christmas so good excuse to be lazy! It will be good though to get to park again so 4 year old can burn up energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There was a nice sunset this evening, hopefully that link works.

IMG-20201228-163627.jpg

Beautiful shot.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another windy night in the west. Knock gusting 51 knots at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Weather after 9oclock rte news saying sleet and snow for tomorrow night in east and midlands.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann website:

Tuesday night: Very cold and frosty on Tuesday night with scattered wintry showers near west and north coasts. Dry and clear elsewhere for a time with frost and icy stretches developing as temperatures fall to between -3 and +2 degrees. A spell of rain will move into parts of the southwest and west late in the night and as this moves northeastwards it is likely to turn to snow in parts of the midlands, north and east.

Wednesday: Very cold in many places on Wednesday with spells of rain and sleet and some falls of snow in parts of the midlands east and north for a time in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    you were very lucky to get that, you must be on high ground slightly? Most other parts of Meath had a sleety 10 minutes before it turned to cold rain.

A poster, think it was lolie, posted a picture from Nobber in the thread about snow, we had slightly less then that but it gives you an idea of the amount that fell

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Kerry

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Today and tonight northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h, strongest on coasts.

Valid: 14:00 Monday 28/12/2020 to 07:00 Tuesday 29/12/2020

Fulfilled and in progress.

It has changed to due north and with a ferocity rarely heard even out here. .

Hope all are safe. The noise is awesome. And the bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As a smoker I'm getting very sick of these relentlessly windy nights.

Can it feck off for 10 minutes???

An interminable bitterly, shockingly cold and unceasingly loud roaring night. I quit! Just is too much...

west mayo offshore

Nice sunny morning. Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Less windy and less showery in Castlebar this morning. Was a rough old night ....

Less windy and less showery in Castlebar this morning. Was a rough old night ....

Indeed it was! Never a truer word

And thankful it is easing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

3rd day in a row of strong winds in Cork City. The fence is after coming loose :(. Airport gusting up to 41kts. Was by the coast yesterday and the waves were crashing. Seeing the black clouds mixed with the blue sky over the ocean with the wind blowing was honestly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I must say I'm looking forward to some dry and cold days ahead , these last few days with mostly cold rain and constant wind have been crap. It must have been a hard slog for those who enjoy running.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Risk of snow accumulations to lower levels.

Valid: 00:00 Wednesday 30/12/2020 to 12:00 Wednesday 30/12/2020

Issued: 11:00 Tuesday 29/12/2020
    Looks like more snow may be on the way. Hopefully we'll get some down here in the southeast.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unbroken sunshine and blue skies today, what a change over the past few days. Doubt i'll be seeing any precipitation over the next week, looks a very dry setup over the next while.

Beautiful day in Dublin. Blue skies, sunny and crisp cold. Perfect weather for a stroll

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

A bit of optimism on the f1 thread today and yesterday hopefully It doesn’t follow the pattern of previous years where the cold gets continuously pushed out further and further , when before you know it , it’s the middle of March

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is there any way to tell if a weather wunderground station is calibrated? I ask because there is a sea level station near me that is always a degree lower than myself and a higher elevation station.

And I am questioning the temp on my station.

Beautiful day in Galway.

Calm and quiet with the occasional outbreak of hail/hard rain

West mayo offshore

Lovely bright full moon tonight. Fingers crossed for some snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Is there any way to tell if a weather wunderground station is calibrated? I ask because there is a sea level station near me that is always a degree lower than myself and a higher elevation station.

And I am questioning the temp on my station.

Is that Magilligan No. 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There's serious cold showing up on some model runs, forum is going to be very busy if any of this comes to pass.

Atlantic sort of died out around a week ago, gave it one last try and said he's taking the next month off, by the looks of the GFS guidance. This intrigues me because normally the GFS will revert to zonality towards the end of most runs.

Happy new year to all and let's hope we see some improvements in these unpleasant times, as well as some real winter synoptics (but if we have to choose, let's go with the real winter synoptics).

Advertisement