Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can I just ask why anyone in the middle of a pandemic or indeed at any other time would want at least 3 days of no power? What sort of utter madness is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Can I just ask why anyone in the middle of a pandemic or indeed at any other time would want at least 3 days of no power? What sort of utter madness is this?

That post was very much tongue in cheek.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

This event is actually very close to a snow event for Northern Ireland.

Temp here has fallen to 2.6c after a high of 4.2c. Snowing and 0c at 300 metres.

https://streamable.com/kduqoj

Most models have the atmosphere warming up here, however, the Met office has me down for a 4c high tomorrow, not getting above 5c this week. There must be some sort of surface flow from Scotland. I can’t explain otherwise why it’d be that cold.

I don’t and can’t comprehend why anyone would want no power AT ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

mcburns07 wrote: »

Fair enough thanks but sometimes you don’t know around here!

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I don’t and can’t comprehend why anyone would want no power AT ALL.

Agreed usually it would be a complete nuisance, but if it means you can't WFH for a few days it would just about be worth it :pac:

My comments on the 12 z output so far
    Pad will be delighted :D

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1356286576641388544?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The met office has us having an easterly the weekend but Scotland looking like the hot spot with a ft falling

Not expecting any snow unless the winds are Ne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AuntySnow wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1356286576641388544?s=19

Think you have a typo there. 20cm is 8 inches. 2/3s of 1 foot.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Think you have a typo there. 20cm is 8 inches. 2/3s of 1 foot.
    Aye glove finger!

Probably near 2 ft by the end of the day tho
    Depending on how many are shoveling and for long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

Found today pleasant in Dublin, bright enough and no wind, lovely for my lunchtime jog. My local park is like a swamp however i cant wait to be able to run on grass again.

We finally managed to get out for a walk today at lunchtime aswell it felt much milder than recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another miserable wet evening in Letterkenny after yet another cold, grey and damp day

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bazlers

Of course it was tongue cheek my god.
    On a serious note depending on the type of snow (potentially lets not jinx it) that falls with strong easterly winds and weight of snow on branches there could (potentially; ) be power outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

AuntySnow wrote: »

Nooooooo! You did not just Twittwhore yourself out there with the rest of the cold brigade, did you, and with a GFS snow chart too?! You're better than that! :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ironically a due east wind would work out very nicely for southern county Cork and Waterford as we are effectively part of Irelands East coast in that scenario and there is a long fetch from South Wales to Waterford and especially Cork.

We got a good 35cm out of streamers on the first 3 days of the BFTE but didn't do as well from Emma itself. Places out by the Old Head of Kinsale were buried those first few days.

That’s true. Near Mallow we had nothing until Emma while from the city down the coast was plastered before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Cork2021

That’s true. Near Mallow we had nothing until Emma while from the city down the coast was plastered before that.

Yeah firmly remember work shut at 2pm that Thursday and I didn’t see proper snow until about half 6 that evening. Red warning was from 4pm! Kanturk Mallow area!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Ironically a due east wind would work out very nicely for southern county Cork and Waterford as we are effectively part of Irelands East coast in that scenario and there is a long fetch from South Wales to Waterford and especially Cork.

We got a good 35cm out of streamers on the first 3 days of the BFTE but didn't do as well from Emma itself. Places out by the Old Head of Kinsale were buried those first few days.

Yes I was pretty pessimistic about how well Cork could do out of easterlies or north-easterlies until 2018, I wasn't living there at the time but I remember visiting over December 2010 and it wasn't particularly snowy, in fact it was dry for the final week of it if I remember. I guess there haven't been many easterlies for Cork in living memory, and if there were, they were mostly dry (like Feb 2012).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Yeah firmly remember work shut at 2pm that Thursday and I didn’t see proper snow until about half 6 that evening. Red warning was from 4pm! Kanturk Mallow area!

I remember people on here having meltdowns as had no snow at 4pm exactly. It was comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Another miserable wet evening in Letterkenny after yet another cold, grey and damp day

I hope this easterly comes off if for no other reason than the land will dry out and we'll have some nice frosty mornings to wake up to rather than the endless grey of late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I hope this easterly comes off if for no other reason than the land will dry out and we'll have some nice frosty mornings to wake up to rather than the endless grey of late

18z doesn’t want to over do it..

Yes I was pretty pessimistic about how well Cork could do out of easterlies or north-easterlies until 2018, I wasn't living there at the time but I remember visiting over December 2010 and it wasn't particularly snowy, in fact it was dry for the final week of it if I remember. I guess there haven't been many easterlies for Cork in living memory, and if there were, they were mostly dry (like Feb 2012).

Dec 2010 was mostly north easterly
    A better beast usually eg jan 87
    Thats why Cork didn't do well
    At times it was northwestern within the flow and cork got snow during that
    Jan 82 like Emma was a storm meeting an easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

100%

My outdoor time is currently limited a to short walk around busy urban roads every evening after work so anything that's not grey and rain I'll welcome with open arms!

Also I see GFS has a NE'erly tilt to the winds at times next week so we might catch a few showers if we're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

The easterly in 2018 was such a bore for us in SW Donegal in 2018 , there was no visible frost either for some reason? Just everything was bone dry, I did see a river freeze over which was cool though. Mind you it still beats the wet weather , it's just that it was painful seeing the rest of the country in snowmaggedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Wet and I think mild enough out this morning here in NCD, horrible!!!

Roll on snowmegeddon :D

Almost snowing here. We just missed out on a big snow event.

The cold weather is still hanging on here in Northern NI.

The snowline came right down to 400 feet last night.

xJpVBDK.jpg

https://streamable.com/ddyn47

Lots of people zooming up the road but I turned. I’m not crashing my car. They’re free to get stuck, I’m not joining them to make a fool out of myself.

Feels like end of the days in Cork this morning. Miserable. Grey, windy and very wet. We haven't seen the sun since last Friday. A bit of dry weather to get the chance to get outside for a walk or to do a few jobs in the garden would really lift the spirits.

Feels like end of the days in Cork this morning. Miserable. Grey, windy and very wet. We haven't seen the sun since last Friday. A bit of dry weather to get the chance to get outside for a walk or to do a few jobs in the garden would really lift the spirits.

Been a grim 5 days here alright!

• Advertisement

Been a grim 5 days here alright!

The models are exciting, but I'd take a bit of dry weather and some sun now to be honest. Anything other than this.

Advertisement