Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit Effects in our Shops

• 05-01-2021 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭

I know this isn't D15 specific but it's what I experienced today in D15.

This won't be fully felt with non essential retail closed but I was in M&S in the centre today and about 50% of the shelves were empty in the food hall. Plenty of "free from" and plant based stuff, alcohol and Easter eggs but the chilled section was like late on Christmas Eve without the festive feel.

Got milk in Aldi, €1.12 for a litre?

I'm guessing Dealz will have issues too, and Iceland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

I can see M&S pulling out of Ireland if they can't sort out how to stock their UK food produce in Ireland very soon.
    They won't pay for EU/Irish sourced produce just for Irish market.

Ready to cook/eat meals are M&S main selling point but you can't import ready produced/processed food stuffs into EU from third-party country like UK is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0105/1187807-marks-spencer-france/

I was just reading about that exact issue earlier! I think some of it is just teething issues with the whole customs paperwork process needing to be familiarized by the various stakeholders but prices surely will now go up with the added tariffs and custom duties to be added for such products?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

RIP the yellow sticker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I dont normally shop at M&S but did a couple days ago or at least attempted to. Noticed straight away many shelves weren't well stocked and all the milk had an expiry date of only 2 days away. I walked out empty handed. Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've been in Tesco, Aldi and Super Valu since 1st Jan and noticed huge gaps in stock in all of them. Not just brands and types you would expect might be imported, but fresh produce like basic meats etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I was in Tesco Roselawn on Sunday and found it no different than usual tbh. Didn't notice anything major missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Been looking for large jars of Bovril for weeks now!
    Bombay Bad Boy, Pot Noodles can’t be got anywhere!
    It’s the end I tell you, the end! :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Also Quavers, Pilchards, Saveloys, Jellied Eels and Pickled eggs.

Those who usually quench their thirst with Irn Bru, Vimto, John Smiths and Newkie Brown will just have to boil their own worn jocks and drink the liquor.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Iceland has plenty of the Bombay bad boys...

As I said in previous post, M&S business model for Ireland is in tatters post Brexit.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0108/1188417-marks-and-spencers-trading-update/
    CEO Steve Rowe said the pink sweets, along with about a third of the products in M&S's food business, are subject to very complex "rules of origin" regulations that form part of Britain's trade deal with the EU.

The rules relate to the composition of individual products and how much of it has been altered in the United Kingdom.

Any product that is manufactured in Europe, imported into the UK and then re-distributed to EU countries faces a tariff.

"The best example I can give you of that is Percy Pig," Rowe told reporters.

"Percy Pig is actually manufactured in Germany. If it comes to the UK and we then send it to Ireland, in theory it would have some tax on it," he said.

M&S also also warned today that potential post-Brexit tariffs on goods exported to the EU, together with complex administrative processes, would significantly impact its businesses in Ireland, the Czech Republic and its franchise business in France.

• Advertisement

Good, we should be buying Irish anyway. And before anyone says it, in Tesco or Aldi etc, I look always for Irish produce first.

The Percy Pig example is a nice simple illustrator. Aldi or Lidi should be thinking 'hmmm these Irish pixie heads love these Percy Schweine Süßigkeiten, lets lift the phone to the Vaterland and order a few million made under our own brand.

When it comes to posh ready meals like M&S, visit your local SuperValu and independent delis anyway, you'll be better off financially and nutritionally and you'll be supporting Irish growers and makers.

I should've known! Fair play to their quickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Did the weekly grocery shop in Dunnes up at the Blanch SC on Saturday morning & didn't notice anything of note lacking on the shelves.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

ongarite wrote: »
    I can see M&S pulling out of Ireland if they can't sort out how to stock their UK food produce in Ireland very soon.
    They won't pay for EU/Irish sourced produce just for Irish market.

Ready to cook/eat meals are M&S main selling point but you can't import ready produced/processed food stuffs into EU from third-party country like UK is now.

They can import the meals but there's paperwork involved now in food produce

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Empty shelves in Santry M & S. I was there Friday evening and Sunday morning. Hardly any ready made meals. My weekly shop is in tatters😃 🥘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Normally do my shop Sunday morning here in roselawn last couple of weeks have found stock very low or nonexistent for veg or salads in packs usually buy some for lunch .Some of them that are there usually have a best use date for the next day. I know it's usually a bit harder to shop for one without having to chuck out stuff but I like to have food in for at least four days or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Tesco in NI widely reported to be having supply problems (Brexit) - maybe its starting here too.

Aldi, Lidl and others still no issue - maybe Tesco need to start sourcing more locally.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭This is it

Had the same issue last week in another Tesco. Short on meat, fruit and veg. Very little of any of it left. I didn't query it but maybe it is part of a wider issue and wasn't just a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ozmo wrote: »
    Aldi, Lidl and others still no issue - maybe Tesco need to start sourcing more locally.

They already do, have done for a long time, their fruit and veg is Irish or sourced from Ireland, a lot from county Dublin itself, apart from obviously the more exotic stuff.

Their fresh meat is Irish too, main issue with them, and others, is the ready meal, as that is processed and packaged all over the place.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    They already do, have done for a long time, their fruit and veg is Irish or sourced from Ireland, a lot from county Dublin itself, apart from obviously the more exotic stuff.

Their fresh meat is Irish too, main issue with them, and others, is the ready meal, as that is processed and packaged all over the place.

They’ve a fair bit of British fresh veg if you look at the packaging.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Threads merged

They’ve a fair bit of British fresh veg if you look at the packaging.

Like what? If it's 'British' then it's because it can't be sourced here, or there's Irish alternatives in store.
    Stuff that can't be got here in Ireland, such as out of season items, usually comes from Europe or further field anyway, there's little that's grown in England that's not there.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like what? If it's 'British' then it's because it can't be sourced here, or there's Irish alternatives in store.
    Stuff that can't be got here in Ireland, such as out of season items, usually comes from Europe or further field anyway, there's little that's grown in England that's not there.

I've a bag sitting at home of "Fresh British Carrots" that I bought in my local Tesco. Are you saying carrots can't be sourced here?

I literally said there's Irish alternatives in store, you even quote it.

I've two bags of Tesco Irish Carrots in my fridge, with tricolours and everything on the packaging.

Did you choose to buy British? There's very little reason to when it comes to fresh foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Tesco in fairness, like most other multiples have long since realised the sense in buying local produce where possible. M and S had something as few as 25 Irish suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Any photos that I have seen with empty shelves online seem to be from Aldi. I was in the Roselawn Tesco yesterday morning and the shelves were well stocked and didn't see anything obviously missing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any photos that I have seen with empty shelves online seem to be from Aldi. I was in the Roselawn Tesco yesterday morning and the shelves were well stocked and didn't see anything obviously missing

I can confirm that fruit and veg and milk sections of Aldi at the centre were very empty looking on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Caranica wrote: »
    I can confirm that fruit and veg and milk sections of Aldi at the centre were very empty looking on Saturday evening.

I think the Aldi stores we have here are controlled from the UK - part of their operation.

Lidl though are an Irish run division separate from uk - might be why stocks are different.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

ozmo wrote: »
    I think the Aldi stores we have here are controlled from the UK - part of their operation.

Lidl though are an Irish run division separate from uk - might be why stocks are different.

You’re bang on the money.

Advertisement