Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secondary schools north co dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2018 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,
    I have my daughter's name down for lusk community college, St Joseph's rush; skerries
    Community college and Loreto Balbriggan to start next September. We have heard back from both Loreto and skerries to say she was not successful in first round but is now on waiting list. I'm worried she may not get a place in any secondary school.. Lusk and Rush don't seem to have allocated their places yet. Is there anyone in similar position or that can offer any advice?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mhmammy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I have my daughter's name down for lusk community college, St Joseph's rush; skerries
    Community college and Loreto Balbriggan to start next September. We have heard back from both Loreto and skerries to say she was not successful in first round but is now on waiting list. I'm worried she may not get a place in any secondary school.. Lusk and Rush don't seem to have allocated their places yet. Is there anyone in similar position or that can offer any advice?
    Thanks for any help

From my dealings with finding a secondary school for my 2nd child, the order seems to be:

1. If a sibling is at the school you are highest on the list
    2. If it is your first child going to secondary you are next
    3. If its a 2nd child who you wish to send to a different school to the first then you are bottom of the list

Not sure on your circumstances but it does seem secondaries in NCD are oversubscribed at the moment and ideally you want to be option 1 above to have the best chance of getting into the school you wish to attend, with option 2 still giving you a good chance, option 3 which I am in with mine doesn't seem to be yielding good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As many people like place a name in several school waiting lists, the numbers are falsely inflated. This leads to a lot of reshuffling at the last minute as people finalise their options.

My daughter was originally on a waiting list for her school of choice but was still ranked in 40th place after the places had been allocated. Throughout the summer, she inched her way up the line and was in 10th place on the last week of summer. We thought she wouldn't make it and we bought the uniform for Loreto in Balbriggan (her 2nd choice). On the day the schools re-opened, she was offered her first choice.

Hang in there - it will pan out nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mhmammy

Thanks for replies guys.. it's an awful situation to be in.. looks like i will be worrying about this for the forseeable future

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk CC is expanding and may have plenty of capacity short-term (but there is a hello of a lot of building going on which will place extra demands on local schooling)

My oldest 2 moved from Loretto Balbriggan to Lusk a couple of years ago and it suited them down to the ground. They have now left but the younger 2 have started and they are doing fine there

Loretto Balbriggan is definitely a highly academic school, but it does not suit everyone, and I'm personally not convinced having single-gender schools is the best way for kids to learn about what follows, be it 3rd level or the big bad world out there

Yes I am still on the fence about an all girls school.. a few of the girls from her class have got places in Loreto and are taking them. I didn't go to an all girls school myself so I don't know a whole lot about them. Shes very far down the waiting list in the 50s so I'm doubtful of her getting a place there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Mhmammy wrote: »
    Yes I am still on the fence about an all girls school.. a few of the girls from her class have got places in Loreto and are taking them. I didn't go to an all girls school myself so I don't know a whole lot about them. Shes very far down the waiting list in the 50s so I'm doubtful of her getting a place there

My daughter was offered a place in Loreto last Tuesday. She was no 29 on the waiting list after the random selection draw. You should phone them after mid-term and see where your daughter is now on the list. A friend's daughter was number 30 and she got an offer as well so I'm not sure what number on the waiting list they offered up to.

Oh wow that's fantastic.. she was high 50s and I didn't hold much hope. But you never know.thanks so much for letting me know 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The problems with school places is set to get a lot worse from what I hear. Having heard a few parents having a serious rant the other day I can see mayhem ahead and I would not want the job of telling her her child has not got a place.

Primary schools have grown hugely in the last 10 years and secondary school have not kept pace. It is really bad planning. Its not like we didnt know this was coming.

St Josephs in Rush is crammed and more are due to start than will be leaving so people will be furious unless the department of Ed and science get the finger out and fast track the promised new school. We wont hold our breath there.

Co-Ed or single sex schools?? Both my children went to St. Josephs and one is now in Collage while one is in transition year. The eldest enjoyed it and the younger one is doing well there. I think it is a good school. There is a lot going on and I suppose it depends on what you want and makes your child happy.
    Like every school there are certain problems with the usual few messers who seem to be tolerated.

Yes this year seems to be a complete disaster. I don't hold any hope of her getting a place in St Joseph's as she is way way down the waiting list. I know of a few parents who are very worried this year and completely in limbo as to where their child will go to secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

In 2012 Lusk National School had 4x 6th classes when we got a letter from Skerries where most of the kids had registered stating that Skerries would no longer be taking kids from Lusk. Then we were told that Lusk Secondary School would not be open till 2013. Luckily St Joseph's stepped up and took them in. 180 kids in first year about 1/3 of the entire school. It worked out well for us.

Now history is repeating itself. Don't accept any excuses given to you. Entirely predictable that this was going to happen for the eight years that the kids spent in Primary.

• Advertisement

St Joseph's seem to have a great name and I hear a lot of good things about it. They have s waiting list of over 100 this year..crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Every school will have a website with an admissions policy,

Which is how they will decide on accepting applications.
    St Joseph's seems to be in the awful situation of a new larger campus being earmarked, but won't be built fro 4-5 years, until private sector house builders build the road to the site, instead of the council building the road, and recouping the money from the builders.

Advertisement