Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blocking Acrylic Wool

Options
  • 23-12-2020 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum so please redirect if not.

I gave knitting a whirl during lockdown and had gotten the hang of knitting and purling so decided to give a scarf in stocking stitch a go. I had read that stocking stitch curls so I put a border around it of a few knit stitches at the bottom and each side but obviously it wasn't enough and the whole thing now looks like a swiss roll!

I looked at ways to block it online and I tried steaming it with an iron and spraying it with water and running the hairdryer over it. Hairdryer worked better but it's still rolling up.

As it's acrylic yarn I think I'm kind of limited in what I can do now but I thought I'd check if anyone has any other suggestions before I unravel 2 foot of scarf that took me like 3 days to do.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I am the owner of a sausage roll scarf. I kept going after it started to curl and I was able to block it to begin with but after a while it rolled up again. It really chokes when I zip up my coat!

If I had my time back I'd go back and work it in k3p3 rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Well done, that you've learned knitting. You could now try crocheting and do a border around all the edges:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I usually wash mine in a low temp / cold wash, squeeze out the heavy wet, then pin it out on a mattress or foam board to dry.
    Can take a while to dry but results are good!

Advertisement