Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

km79 wrote: »
    I’ll actually be cancelling for real this year !

I did, after many years with Sky and playing the annual "game" of threatening to cancel, looking for a deal, not accepting said deal, waiting for callbacks. TBH got sick of all the crap of dealing with them and their extortionate 0818 number (in fairness was free for me cause I was a broadband & talk customer).

Started originally with Sky on a €50 a month 1 year deal for Variety TV + unlimited fibre broadband + off peak calls. This did me fine as I can stream all the premium content I needed & Chromecast it to my TV. Worked perfectly. I liked the convenience of Sky+, live pause & rewind, the Sky EPG and the ability to series link record. The Sky UI is excellent & silky smooth.

Second year it went to €60 a month 1 year deal for same package (best deal I could get).

Last 2 years its been €68 a month 1 year deal for same package (best deal I could get) and this year it went to €71.50 mid contract (I could have cancelled, they offered).

It's going up and up for my basic service requirements and when I looked at my usage my main consideration was the fibre broadband. I don't use the off peak calls at all (my mobile package covers all calls at all times) and my TV usage was predominantly Freesat channels. Although like I mentioned I love the Sky+ facilities.

Also I've had a couple of issues with my hardware that Sky have looked to charge callout and/or replacement hardware fees because I an a Sky HD box owner (I own the equipment) and not a Sky Q owner (Sky own the equipment and it's rented from them). Luckily I told them to "sod off" and fixed the issues myself namely a mis-aligned dish after Storm 'whatever' (a €5 satellite finder sorted this) and one of my cables from the LNB was continuously dropping signal to the box so this was replaced (cheap fix).

Anyways, decided this was the year I was leaving Sky and devised a new strategy. Switched to Pure Telecom for my broadband @ €35 a month for unlimited fibre broadband and anytime local & national calls (brilliant company with excellent customer care support). Bought a second hand Humax 1000S Freesat box for €125 and this box does all the Sky HD box does and more including all the Sky+ functionality. Check it out: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1000s/

Delighted with the switch. I'm free from the moneygrabbers that are Sky and the Humax box paid for itself in just 3 months (difference in what I pay Sky to what I pay now).

I would recommend this approach to anyone. Combine the Humax box with a Chromecast & some good streaming apps and you have the perfect combo. The priority being fast reliable fibre broadband, or fibre to the home broadband if your lucky enough to live in an area where this is provided by your ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

tm2204 wrote: »
    I did, after many years with Sky and playing the annual "game" of threatening to cancel, looking for a deal, not accepting said deal, waiting for callbacks. TBH got sick of all the crap of dealing with them and their extortionate 0818 number (in fairness was free for me cause I was a broadband & talk customer).

Started originally with Sky on a €50 a month 1 year deal for Variety TV + unlimited fibre broadband + off peak calls. This did me fine as I can stream all the premium content I needed & Chromecast it to my TV. Worked perfectly. I liked the convenience of Sky+, live pause & rewind, the Sky EPG and the ability to series link record. The Sky UI is excellent & silky smooth.

Second year it went to €60 a month 1 year deal for same package (best deal I could get).

Last 2 years its been €68 a month 1 year deal for same package (best deal I could get) and this year it went to €71.50 mid contract (I could have cancelled, they offered).

It's going up and up for my basic service requirements and when I looked at my usage my main consideration was the fibre broadband. I don't use the off peak calls at all (my mobile package covers all calls at all times) and my TV usage was predominantly Freesat channels. Although like I mentioned I love the Sky+ facilities.

Also I've had a couple of issues with my hardware that Sky have looked to charge callout and/or replacement hardware fees because I an a Sky HD box owner (I own the equipment) and not a Sky Q owner (Sky own the equipment and it's rented from them). Luckily I told them to "sod off" and fixed the issues myself namely a mis-aligned dish after Storm 'whatever' (a €5 satellite finder sorted this) and one of my cables from the LNB was continuously dropping signal to the box so this was replaced (cheap fix).

Anyways, decided this was the year I was leaving Sky and devised a new strategy. Switched to Pure Telecom for my broadband @ €35 a month for unlimited fibre broadband and anytime local & national calls (brilliant company with excellent customer care support). Bought a second hand Humax 1000S Freesat box for €125 and this box does all the Sky HD box does and more including all the Sky+ functionality. Check it out: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1000s/

Delighted with the switch. I'm free from the moneygrabbers that are Sky and the Humax box paid for itself in just 3 months (difference in what I pay Sky to what I pay now).

I would recommend this approach to anyone. Combine the Humax box with a Chromecast & some good streaming apps and you have the perfect combo. The priority being fast reliable fibre broadband, or fibre to the home broadband if your lucky enough to live in an area where this is provided by your ISP.

Does the iplayer and redwind function on the humax box work?

How many channels can be recorded at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

rushfan wrote: »
    Rang them a few months ago, told them I wanted to cancel Sky Sports only. We've never had the movies. Expected some kind of offer from them but nothing, so the cancellation went ahead. Honestly, I don't miss it as apart from the soccer, I got fed up scrolling through the golf/cricket etc. I'd also cancelled the BT package but would be more likely to go back with them than Sky.

There's usually a 6 months half price sports offer around March/April time to coincide with the Golf Masters, if not there'll be one for the GAA over the summer.

My current half price offer offer will be ending soon - so I'll be cancelling and waiting for the offer to become available again.

kala85 wrote: »
    Does the iplayer and redwind function on the humax box work?

How many channels can be recorded at the same time

There is an iPlayer 'app' in the 'On Demand' section on the box but it's Geo Locked. There are ways around this though... a simple search in Google

You can record 2 channels at the same time (2 satellite cable feeds into the box) as well as watching an already recorded program all simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Rang up earlier to cancel everything broadband/tv with sports and movies package,after a painful 35 minute phone call got offered 35% off for 12 months to stay .

First chap started off friendly and chatty but then he nearly turned nasty , started getting nearly angry because l wasn't interested in his stupid suggestions of taking off packages and still keeping the basic tv package .

It must be a soul destroying job they waste 30 mins of small talk and then get annoyed because you continue to ask for a cancellation , must of asked over 25 times politely no l wont go with that option can you just cancel it please .

eventually had to be put over to someone else for final cancellation who within 60 seconds offers 35% off everything to stay .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

So how come some people get a great offer before cancelling and then some are let cancel? Would be easier to know for definite what happens. I was offered something like 8 euros off and she said that was the absolute best she could do.

Also she was dealing in euros off, never talked in terms of percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So how come some people get a great offer before cancelling and then some are let cancel? Would be easier to know for definite what happens. I was offered something like 8 euros off and she said that was the absolute best she could do.

Also she was dealing in euros off, never talked in terms of percentages.

Some people have balls some people don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's possibly down to length of contact too. I cancelled mine 2 years ago and got a better deal when they rang back a few weeks later. I did same for my father in law around the same time and they got a better dea while on phone, but they've been with sky for over a decade...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Some people have balls some people don’t.

But going on the examples above, some people with balls who have cancelled have been offered no deal, and other people with a similar amount of balls have been offered 35% off for doing the same thing. With their balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

I rang yesterday to cancel the sports/movies pack, I had it the previous 6 months for 24.50 per month. The best I was offered to keep it was 30 euro per month for 6 months. I went ahead with the cancellation, I'll get a call sometime in April offering it for 24.50 again. Same thing happens every 6 months.

• Advertisement

Elias79 wrote: »
    I rang yesterday to cancel the sports/movies pack, I had it the previous 6 months for 24.50 per month. The best I was offered to keep it was 30 euro per month for 6 months. I went ahead with the cancellation, I'll get a call sometime in April offering it for 24.50 again. Same thing happens every 6 months.

They're currently offering sports/movies pack for 24.50.
    Let your cancellation go through and the day it stops working, check the website again and the same deal will likely still be on offer.

When you accept a deal from an agent, but then change your mind - how long have you to pull out of the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    When you accept a deal from an agent, but then change your mind - how long have you to pull out of the deal?

14 days cooling off period

If I received a misquote from an agent and Sky try and roll back on the offer - what options do I have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If I received a misquote from an agent and Sky try and roll back on the offer - what options do I have?

Unless you had accepted the quote at the time, and entered into contract then they would be entitled to make new offer.

You could still ask for a discount due to their mess-up but they wouldn't be under obligation to do so.

Davy wrote: »
    Unless you had accepted the quote at the time, and entered into contract then they would be entitled to make new offer.

You could still ask for a discount due to their mess-up but they wouldn't be under obligation to do so.

Yeah I accepted the quote/deal.
    When I logged into my account a few hours after the call, my future bills hadn't been updated - so I rang them back and the agent told me it must have been a misquote and she'd forward the details to the manager and when he/she had reviewed the call, they'd get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Yeah I accepted the quote/deal.
    When I logged into my account a few hours after the call, my future bills hadn't been updated - so I rang them back and the agent told me it must have been a misquote and she'd forward the details to the manager and when he/she had reviewed the call, they'd get back to me.

You should get the deal you were misquoted once they have listened to the call

You should get the deal you were misquoted once they have listened to the call

I'm guessing they're not just going to roll over and let me keep the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm guessing they're not just going to roll over and let me keep the deal.
    Why not?

I was on a 6 month half price offer one time and it was due to expire in October of that year. A month earlier during a phone call about an unrelated matter a Sky agent remarked that I was on a great offer and it was due to expire the following April. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. The following month my offer disappeared and the cost doubled so I rang in and asked them to listen to the call I had made a month earlier. They did and to their credit they reapplied the offer for a further 6 months.

Thats one of the very few good things I can say about Sky is that they will do their best to honour whatever a customer was told regardless of previous agreements

muffler wrote: »
    Why not?

I was on a 6 month half price offer one time and it was due to expire in October of that year. A month earlier during a phone call about an unrelated matter a Sky agent remarked that I was on a great offer and it was due to expire the following April. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. The following month my offer disappeared and the cost doubled so I rang in and asked them to listen to the call I had made a month earlier. They did and to their credit they reapplied the offer for a further 6 months.

Thats one of the very few good things I can say about Sky is that they will do their best to honour whatever a customer was told regardless of previous agreements

I have to say I was wrong. In fairness to them - they stood by the offer and even offered a little bit extra off my bill for any inconvenience caused.

Top marks all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Juwwi wrote: »
    y .

First chap started off friendly and chatty but then he nearly turned nasty , started getting nearly angry because l wasn't interested in his stupid suggestions of taking off packages and still keeping the basic tv package .
    I just had the same experience!
    Was very weird . He kept telling me I was "mad" to be cancelling and what was I going to do without it. He went on for ages calling me "mad" and saying he "could not understand my thinking"!
    It was funny but I found him to be unprofessional.

We are planning on relocating over the summer so I have little interest in offers anyway. Will 99% cancel

Best no contract offer he gave me was Variety plus HD and no sky for 50 euro LOL
    I have all that and sky sports for 60 at the moment.
    When my cancellation period is up there will only be one month left in Premiership so I will get NOW TV pass to tide me over.

Time to investigate what channels my sky box will have .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I let Sky Original package expire. I had received an email for "Stay with us for just €20.80 a month" with an offer expiry 3 days after my cut off date. Rang up between being cut off and offer expiring to take up the 20.80 offer. They said I couldn't reactivate a legacy Original package and offered Entertainment package for about €23.

Told them the date on the offer, it went to a manager and they said it was an error on their system and they applied another discount to bring Entertainment package down to €19.20/mth.

Just do ye know they can go to €19.20 and check the date on the retention offer email!

Sky will never receive another cent from me again.

Messed about, spoken down to & playing their stupid 'cancellation' game for so many years I finally quit this year and now am perfectly happy on Freesat with a Humax HDR-1000S box that I can pause/rewind live tv, record (2 channels at a time) & series link and use the Freesat app on my phone to record remotely. Basically it's Sky+ without the Sky channels but with 150+ freesat channels. :D Cost............. €zero per month :D:D

I just had the same experience!
    Was very weird . He kept telling me I was "mad" to be cancelling and what was I going to do without it. He went on for ages calling me "mad" and saying he "could not understand my thinking"!
    It was funny but I found him to be unprofessional.

We are planning on relocating over the summer so I have little interest in offers anyway. Will 99% cancel

Best no contract offer he gave me was Variety plus HD and no sky for 50 euro LOL
    I have all that and sky sports for 60 at the moment.
    When my cancellation period is up there will only be one month left in Premiership so I will get NOW TV pass to tide me over.

Time to investigate what channels my sky box will have .....

Just got an email
    Variety plus sports 35% off
    52 euro
    That would be more or less what we were looking for but with no HD

However it's a 12 month contract which I don't want

Has anyone received a comparable offer with no contract ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BobMc

tm2204 wrote: »
    Sky will never receive another cent from me again.

Messed about, spoken down to & playing their stupid 'cancellation' game for so many years I finally quit this year and now am perfectly happy on Freesat with a Humax HDR-1000S box that I can pause/rewind live tv, record (2 channels at a time) & series link and use the Freesat app on my phone to record remotely. Basically it's Sky+ without the Sky channels but with 150+ freesat channels. :D Cost............. €zero per month :D:D

I'm really tempted to do this too, had freesat boxes for years and to be honest its mainly BBC/ITV/CH4 and netflix we all watch. Sky is just getting so expensive these days

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Northern lassie

Cancelled Sky about 10 days ago. Just got an offer of 35% discount but doesn't include multiroom. If I ignore it is there a chance that I will get another offer?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone here getting hassle from Sky over "early termination charges"? We had TV/broadband/talk package that we wanted to cancel. They offered price drop to €59 and I initially accepted but changed my mind within the cooling off period (14 days) and decided to let cancel. Then after that I reactivated TV only.

Now we're getting emails about a €301.50 charge for cancelling the broadband and talk early. I rang and told them I was well within the cooling off period and the Sky support said there is no cooling off period on renewal offers. Told him it's even in the email I received... he said take their emails with a pinch of salt :eek:, that they're generic emails and don't apply to all scenarios!

Waiting now for some call review team to listed back over the calls... was def told on every call that there was a 14 day cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

I didn't realise that multi room was on a 12 months contract too - anybody have any cancelling just that part mid '12 months'? Thanks

BobMc wrote: »
    I'm really tempted to do this too, had freesat boxes for years and to be honest its mainly BBC/ITV/CH4 and netflix we all watch. Sky is just getting so expensive these days

If I go ahead and cancel what channels will the sky box pick up without any extra expenditure ?

I have received a similar to last year and ormakly I’d take it . But it’s a 12 month contract and we are selling our house so don’t want to be tied down to a contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If I go ahead and cancel what channels will the sky box pick up without any extra expenditure ?
    This list is fairly comprehensive. There is the odd channels that drops or changes frequency but 95% of whats on that list would be available to you.

Advertisement