Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is cannabis illegal?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I was a heavy smoker in my late teens/early twenties. Was also suffering from depression (found out years later that I was bipolar). I moved abroad for a while and was smoking stronger strains or hybrids. Found that I became very paranoid when stoned. I now feel sick whenever someone even lights up a joint or bong.

In saying that, I would be in favour of decriminalisation. I know that it can ease the pain of MS sufferers or people receiving chemo. I wish it was available for my mother who died of cancer. She went through two bouts of chemo and was only a shell of her former self and her last days in the local hospice could have been made easier with marijuana. It's easy to get and easy to administer and would have left her more lucid than being heavily dosed with morphine. I know it's not a cure-all for everything from a verruca to terminal cancer like all the advocates say but it does have its uses and should be available medically or at least ignored by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

tuxy wrote: »
    What about the approach they have in Portugal?
    Decriminalised(not legalised) the use of all drugs. Money previously spent on enforcement is now spent on treatment.

Our health service isn't ideal and it doesn't tackle to issues pushing people to drugs in the first place. I'd only support that in line with a wider plan to tackle addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tuxy wrote: »
    What about the approach they have in Portugal?
    Decriminalised(not legalised) the use of all drugs. Money previously spent on enforcement is now spent on treatment.

That is crazy "logic"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Allinall wrote: »
    It’s not illegal.

When have you ever seen a joint or a cannibas plant up in court on charges?

I was in court on monday for 1 gram of weed.
    200 fine + 400e solicitor fees.

judge was pretty harsh on weed charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If Canada drove into a lake would we have to follow.

If Canada perfected fusion should we not follow? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It will compete with the brewerys too much and the government will lose money.

If it’s legal it could be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Cos hemp vs paper back in the day. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just bloody legalise it, the countries awash with it anyway

Our health service isn't ideal and it doesn't tackle to issues pushing people to drugs in the first place. I'd only support that in line with a wider plan to tackle addiction.

We spend millions on this already. There’s only so much you can do with determined addicts.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Cos hemp vs paper back in the day. /thread

Naw. Hemp paper can have all THC removed. It’s more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I don't like the blanket statement cannabis is bad. It's a diverse plant with many strains that many people can find their happy medium with.

People I hear having bad episodes I wonder if they had an extremely strong strain. Did they simply ingest it the wrong way with too much in a joint or too much in an edible?

The statement "it's just not for me" is fine but I do think if some of these people could walk into a store and be educated on what various strains do, strength etc. It would change alot of people's mind.

It's just the mystery around it and sometimes I smoke and think I really hate this so much. I feel out of my head, anxious the next few days and in general just out of it. Then sometimes I smoke some different stuff and think this is amazing I'm so relaxed, in a good mood, inspired and motivated to do something creative.

Big thing for me is that it's such a wonderful diverse plant with a myraid of options it would be a shame for people to discount it on the basis of the bad traits. Which are completely relevant, sometimes but not all the time. Just like you would have 5 pints over a bottle of vodka there are levels to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

I work in the IFSC in Dublin

Quite often I walk down Talbot street. Friday's at 5 pm, it is like a long hotbox. A lot of people is smoking openly. Also, funny enough, most of them wear matching tracksuits.

Gardi does absolutely nothing about them, as I was walking behind 2 Gardi, and I could see the smokers, and smell them.

But, I am 100% sure, if I were to join them, wearing a suit, I will be stopped, searched, and be in trouble.

But, I just don't get involved with this...

so, if you wear a tracksuit, your name might be Anto, it is already legal...

now, just legalise it for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Historically a dovetailing of economic and ideological reasons, in which race and racism played a big part. Currently because of a whole bunch of things, habit, political fear, industrial factors.

The war on drugs is a very obviously busted flush, prohibition doesn't work and anyone with half a brain has to grasp that, it's caused more harm than it's prevented.

That said, as someone who's occasionally enjoyed a fairly broad selection of drugs and loves a smoke of an evening, the conversation has to be a bit more nuanced than "legalise it, it cures cancer and epilepsy and scabies, boooo big pharmacy, 420 for life!" which is just the flip side of the stupid coin from "drugs are bad things for stupid losers it makes you insane, my cousin's boyfriend's brother's son smoked a drug and thought he could fly and now he's on the DOLE"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Spunge wrote: »
    I was in court on monday for 1 gram of weed.
    200 fine + 400e solicitor fees.

judge was pretty harsh on weed charges

Ridiculous.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

at least theyve learned their lesson, and wont do it again!:D

my cousin's boyfriend's brother's son smoked a drug and thought he could fly and now he's on the DOLE"

I’m sorry to hear about your cousins boyfriend. Maybe he should have stayed off the weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

It's all Big Pharma and the illuminati conspiring OP. They know that weed both prevents and cures all diseases and they want to keep getting rich off selling drugs and vaccines that give you cancer and turn people gay, which is part of George Soros' plan to destroy western civilisation.

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is crazy "logic"!

Nah. The crazy logic is one is solving a problem linking a health & safety issue to the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The benefits of legalisation far outweigh the negatives. Colorado and Amsterdam being good examples.

It is a waste of resources and it is idiotic giving people convictions who would otherwise be 'law abiding' citizens.

It is the most futile of fights that the Drug Squad are involved in. It is not possible to police. Weed plants can be extremely easily grown in every house, garden field or wood in the country. Same way alcohol can be brewed anywhere by anyone.

Heroin and Cocaine cannot be produced in this country, and have more adverse affects on the end user, and is far more profitable for organised crime. So trying to combat them can make at least some sort of rational sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The benefits of legalisation far outweigh the negatives. Colorado and Amsterdam being good examples.

Heroin and Cocaine cannot be produced in this country, and have more adverse affects on the end user, and is far more profitable for organised crime. So trying to combat them can make at least some sort of rational sense.

Your post is confusing you list a state where it is legalised at a local level but highly illegal at a federal level. Then you list a city where it is decriminalised. Two very different things. Which approach are you advocating?

Also if the opium poppy can be farmed in the UK to meet shortages of morphine what's to stop it growing here. Is our climate really that different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nah. The crazy logic is one is solving a problem linking a health & safety issue to the criminal justice system.

We do that in all sorts of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

It is a waste of resources and it is idiotic giving people convictions who would otherwise be 'law abiding' citizens.

It is the most futile of fights that the Drug Squad are involved in. It is not possible to police. Weed plants can be extremely easily grown in every house, garden field or wood in the country. Same way alcohol can be brewed anywhere by anyone.

Colorado has seen a massive increase in the market for illegal high strength THC cannabis which is being controlled in the state by Central American and Asian crime gangs. Colorado's homeless population has risen dramatically, driven by heavy users coming to Colorado to avail of this new enlightened system, many of whom have developed mental health issues. Colorado's drug driving death figures have also increased. It is not a good news story in Colorado.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Makes you a lazy, unmotivated stoner. And causes psychosis.

Your ignorance amuses me

The Orb wrote:
    Colorado has seen a massive increase in the market for illegal high strength THC cannabis which is being controlled in the state by Central American and Asian crime gangs. Colorado's homeless population has risen dramatically, driven by heavy users coming to Colorado to avail of this new enlightened system, many of whom have developed mental health issues. Colorado's drug driving death figures have also increased. It is not a good news story in Colorado.

Unfortunately there's currently no actual real 'solution' to our drug issues, no matter what approach is taken, all approaches are problematic, but I do think something dramatic needs to change, and legalisation of most, if not all is possibly a better option, but of course will be problematic in itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

Makes you a lazy, unmotivated stoner. And causes psychosis.

That can be argued about alcohol.
    Do you know that people who drink are addicts because they enjoy drinking something that gets to their head?
    Smoking responsibly can be argued for weed just as it applies to drinking. Not everyone lets themselves get bad when they drink. Not everyone will let themselves when they smoke.
    People who get that bad are the ones who will with alcohol any which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Going around the country you would think it was already legal but snowflakes will be snowflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The Orb wrote: »
    Colorado has seen a massive increase in the market for illegal high strength THC cannabis which is being controlled in the state by Central American and Asian crime gangs. Colorado's homeless population has risen dramatically, driven by heavy users coming to Colorado to avail of this new enlightened system, many of whom have developed mental health issues.

Colorado's drug driving death figures have also increased.

It is not a good news story in Colorado.

According  to  CDOT,  the  number of fatalities in  which a driver tested positive for  Delta‐9 THC  at or above the  5.0 ng/mL  level declined  from 52 (13%  of all fatalities) in 2016 to 35  in 2017 (8% of all fatalities).

Total revenue from taxes, licenses, and  fees increased from :

$67,594,325 in 2014 to 

$247,368,474  in 2017 (+266%). 

Excise tax revenue dedicated to school capital construction assistance was  $40,000,000 in  2017 and an additional $27,752,968 was dedicated to the  public school fund. 

Anyway :

Legalization may result in reports of increased use, which may be a function of the decreased stigma and legal consequences associated with use  rather than actual  changes in  use  patterns.   Likewise, those reporting to poison control, emergency  departments, or  hospitals may  feel more  comfortable discussing their recent use  or abuse of marijuana for purposes of treatment.  Finally, complex  and sometimes conflicting  laws have caused law  enforcement officials  and prosecuting attorneys to modify policies and practices that cannot be disentangled from available data. For these reasons, it is critical to avoid ascribing changes in many social indicators solely to  marijuana legalization.  

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

gctest50 wrote: »
    According  to  CDOT,  the  number of fatalities in  which a driver tested positive for  Delta‐9 THC  at or above the  5.0 ng/mL  level declined  from 52 (13%  of all fatalities) in 2016 to 35  in 2017 (8% of all fatalities).

Total revenue from taxes, licenses, and  fees increased from :

$67,594,325 in 2014 to 

$247,368,474  in 2017 (+266%). 

Excise tax revenue dedicated to school capital construction assistance was  $40,000,000 in  2017 and an additional $27,752,968 was dedicated to the  public school fund. 

Anyway :

The number of fatalities with cannabinoid‐only or cannabinoid‐in‐combination 
    positive drivers increased 153%, from 55 in 2013 to 139 in 2017.

• Advertisement
Advertisement