Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does multiculturalism ruin Santa?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Santa is a purely commercial creation. Nothing to do with any religion.

You don't even have to go that far back.
    What does Santa have to do with catholicism?

Saint Nicholas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

I've never heard this happen nor would I expect it to happen. Far more likely to be a bold and meany 'native' kid in their class saying it to them.

Is that based on anything other than wishful thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I've never heard this happen nor would I expect it to happen. Far more likely to be a bold and meany 'native' kid in their class saying it to them.
    At work when customers come in I make chit chat about Christmas. One woman told me that when her child was santa age, there was another mother who didn't do the whole santa thing and told her child the truth, who being a child, obviously went in and told the rest of the class, so it does happen. It caused ructions and she said that even though the kids are college age now, they still don't get on with that mother! I was just wondering if it's becoming a more common thing. The woman wasn't "native" and it was spoiled for the other kids when most were 4/5, so it wasn't an older kid ruining it for the younger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AllForIt wrote: »

and what does that have to with the fat bloke with a beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Personally I think that there's too much carrot and not enough stick with santa as it stands- we need Krampus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I dont know about Santa, but there are no nativity plays or nativity crib displays in my daughters school anymore.

I’m a primary school teacher and I make sure our school has a crib in the most prominent place in the building. I’m sure this offends many but it’s a Catholic school so tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

I’m a primary school teacher and I make sure our school has a crib in the most prominent place in the building. I’m sure this offends many but it’s a Catholic school so tough ****.

Exactly, it pisses me off that we are having to change our traditions to accomadate people thag are not from here. If anything it should be the other way around.

This is how we do things, if people dont like it they can always head off back to wherever it is they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I don't know what most of you are afraid of.

Where I come from we had loads of multicultural festivities, the more the merrier. There was of course the Christian Christmas, the Jewish Hannukkah and the Islamic Eid al-Fitr, also aptly called Sugar Festival in the Turkish community (they have the most delicious sweets...).
    Now I have also friends who celebrate the pagan winter solstice.
    Any occasion to party was (and is) welcome - to everyone.

All festivities have one thing in common: It's a wonderful get-together with lots of food and merriment, celebrated sometimes with different cultures together.

Nobody wants to take away your Santa, apart from myself maybe :D I'm a non-believer. I won't tell children though, because I think it's a lovely tradition for little ones and kind of an universal ritual, if you take the religious stuff away.

Christmas as such has pagan roots anyway. It's the darkest time of the year, celebrated with candles (as in Sweden with the Santa Lucia fest) and glitter to oust the darkness, not only outside but inside your soul as well.

The first time I heard anyone having an issue with Santa and Christmas in schools, was the Jehovah Witnesses in a local school about 30 years ago. So its nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm not Catholic, it wouldn't offend me in the slightest but the way you wrote that sounds like you'd want it to offend people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Charmeleon wrote: »
    Is that based on anything other than wishful thinking?

It's based on years of growing up in Ireland and knowing how kids act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

does the Joseph look 40 and Mary 14, for accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not Catholic, it wouldn't offend me in the slightest but the way you wrote that sounds like you'd want it to offend people.

Maybe he's just sick and tired of being told you can't do this or you can't do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Try_harder wrote: »
    Mary 14, for accuracy

I never knew that. Not Muhammad country, but still. Crikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Ronnie Wood territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

https://discover-the-truth.com/2013/09/30/marriage-of-mary-to-joseph-the-carpenter/ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing. Thankfully.

Moghead wrote: »
    I'm white Irish and was raised a Catholic. Some other white irish Catholic kid told all my class there is no Santa in 2nd class.

No matter what their background is, there will always be some smartarse who will try and ruin it for everyone else.

ruin what?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nothing. Thankfully.

Santa is sounder than God. Fact.

Lovely to see the Cribs in towns also

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    ruin what?

The Santa magic for all the other children when they find out he's fictional.
    Moghead wrote: »
    Some other white irish Catholic kid told all my class there is no Santa in 2nd class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Try_harder wrote: »
    does the Joseph look 40 and Mary 14, for accuracy

Like a Travellers wedding, or is that 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Christmas, the traditional time for telling people who aren't like you or aren't from around here to **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I wasn't sure how to word the title but the cheapskate Santa thread reminded me of something I've thought about in the past. When I was a kid, diversity wasn't a thing. We were all white, Irish and apart from one Protestant kid in the class, Catholic. So we all had the same belief about Santa. Nowadays there is a lot of diversity, which means there will be kids in the class for whom Santa isn't a thing. Does this cause any problems? Do they tell the other kids that Santa isn't real? Do they get upset that they don't get presents?

It could be argued that Santa ruined the true meaning of Christmas. Also, telling kids about Santa is a bad idea. Apart from the fact that it is a lie, and could weaken their trust in the parent, it also harms their notion of reality. Just because they know Santa is not real, does not mean they cannot enjoy the Santa experience.

A child`s innocence is not for the amusement of adults. By trying to preserve their innocence, you may end up destroying it. As for the power of magic and possibility, that is something kids can keep into adulthood and for their whole lives in the simple story of the nativity.

It could be argued that Santa ruined the true meaning of Christmas. Also, telling kids about Santa is a bad idea. Apart from the fact that it is a lie, it harms their notion of reality. Just because they know Santa is not real, does not mean they cannot enjoy the Santa experience.

A child`s innocence is not for the amusement of adults. By trying to preserve their innocence, you may end up destroying it. As for the power of magic and possibility, that is something kids can keep into adulthood and for their whole lives in the simple story of the nativity.

Thank you. My thoughts too... ;) Needed saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

Well Santa isn't real so why should kids be believing in it in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RayCun wrote: »
    Christmas, the traditional time for telling people who aren't like you or aren't from around here to **** off

Or to just tell people that not everything has to change about us to accommodate other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Unanimous wrote: »
    Well Santa isn't real so why should kids be believing in it in the first place?

Booooooooooooooo

giphy.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fcuking hell, no wonder your posts are filled with joy, cheer up for fcuk sake and embrace the fun. Happy unfun season to you to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Without multiculturalism there is no Santa.

Advertisement