Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Eamonn Dorans?? I laughed when I read that one. Its just full of people who like to mosh really and that would be downstairs.

Actually I dont think that even really happens anymore. Downstairs has a dj, upstairs you can sit down like a normal pub, with a jukebox etc. Not bad at all, in comparison to some dodgy places around dublin!
    It was a joke.....? You were meant to laugh
    And it is full of underagers, I know I went there when I was underage

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Dodgiest pub I was in was in Camden. It was a underground bar for Jamacians only. I went in there about twice a week for 3 months and in that time I witnessed,

1 actual shooting
    4 stabings
    at least 3 or 4 bar fights every night
    Police raids on a regular basis

Good crack there so kept going back. Me and my buddy were 2 of only 7white people that were alowed in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Senna wrote: »
    Cant remember the name but it was between seven sisters and holloway in london, me and the guy i worked for went on a bit of a crawl and ended up in here about 2am (closing time was 11.30pm), there was a thick cloud of dope smoke everywhere, people were passed out on the floor, barman was completely fried and kept dropping glasses and bottles. We were there for about an hour having good craic when the fella i was with jumped out of his seat and literally pull me by the neck out the door. When we were out he point inside to two guys squaring up to each other with knifes, one of them was already cover in blood. We just ran, dodgy as hell.

Could be the red lion. Think its gone now though. Was there pics of the "lady" patrons with there bits out on the walls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

DigiGal wrote: »
    It was a joke.....? You were meant to laugh
    And it is full of underagers, I know I went there when I was underage

didnt get your joke.....! :o
    i havent been there in years either, your right it is full of kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

a-k-47 wrote: »
    blue lion parnell st. Every gangster in dublin for the last 30 years drank in there, think there was a murder in that one. Ive never been though. South side, canal bar you cant walk into them pubs without being with someone 'known'. They are both closed down know. Canal bar burned down. They was and still are alot of dodgy kips in dublin, finglas should be taking that over.:)

Yeah..shooting in the early 90's, fella i worked with had his bike nicked and it was used for the getaway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Pub near Catford Bridge in London...can't remember the name. Evening started off with 2 of the ugliest teenage girls I've ever seen asking everybody in the pub what they wanted down the shops i.e shoplifted from the local M&S. A little while later the most bizarre fight I've ever seen kicked off between a guy of about 80 and a teenage lad. They ended up using everything in the pub as weapons until the old guy split the young guys head open with a slops tray from the bar....priceless entertainment. We left after that :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Noctors in the Sheriff st area, in about 1997. Had some friends from the area. Loads of tarted up little sl*ts singing Karaeoke, they looked pretty hot until they opened their mouths, teeth all over the place and accents that would make your ears bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

In Ireland, a place called The Ramble Inn at the back of a housing estate in Killester Dublin. Seriously dodgy spot, the locals reckoned we were cops and followed me into the jacks anytime I went. There was a fella shot dead outside it a week later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

Oh yes, the Old Chinaman certainly existed. It was on the way up from what was then Crazy Horse corner (named after a long gone shop) towards St. Patricks Cathedral.

It was on three floors and you could get anything there you required.

Dodgiest pub in Dublin, not because of danger but dodgy decor and being a general kip has to be the Goat Grill.

What superb kitsch!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The Lough Inn in Louglinstown

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    In Ireland, a place called The Ramble Inn at the back of a housing estate in Killester Dublin. Seriously dodgy spot, the locals reckoned we were cops and followed me into the jacks anytime I went. There was a fella shot dead outside it a week later.

lol that place is grand, i am in there sometimes i have friends that live nearby, just full of old people having sing songs etc, that shooting was a one off and the guy lived around the corner, nice guy but involved with the wrong people. If that's your idea of dodgy you must be from Foxrock or something!
    Best pint of Guinness I know of too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been in a few. Finches in Clondalkin - very dodgy place and very uncomfortable every second I was in there.

Some dive on O'Connell Street in Sligo town - a total kip and full of dog rough regulars.

I've heard about the Lough Inn - is it really as bad is it's rumoured to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

didnt get your joke.....! :o
    i havent been there in years either, your right it is full of kids!
    Told ya...:)

Should take this discussion to the Scoring LC results girls thread...might be helpful to em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 booboobear

I was in an early house in edinburgh before. Was scary. A lot of heroin addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Some dodgy pub in NewCastle. Think it was called the "Queens Head". Had characters that looked just like "Begbie" from Trainspotting. Locals playing pool were "playfully" intimidating people sitting at the bar with pool cues, and the barmen calling on them to "ah come on and settle down lads".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've heard about the Lough Inn - is it really as bad is it's rumoured to be?
    Oh yea. Heavily tattoed, muscle bulging, teeth missing customers.

And that's just the females:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

booboobear wrote: »
    I was in an early house in edinburgh before. Was scary. A lot of heroin addicts.
    PENNY BLACK??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't believe some of the pubs that are being passed of as dangerous here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth.

Unfortunately it did indeed exsist, from what I remember the beer was like water and almost as cheap.

Been to some crappy ones in london too, stockwell, brixton etc but one of the worst was in portsmouth, cant remember the name of it but basically had to argue with the bouncers first of all in order to be let in, they copped the Irish accent and said words to the effect of 'you won't like it, it's not for you'. Then once inside the bouncers kept popping the door open every few minutes to make sure we werent getting our heads kicked in. It was like one of those movie scenes (think three amigos only not so much fun) where somone walks in and the entire bar stops, turns around and stares and keeps staring for the duration. Thing is though the worst trouble I have seen has normally been in bars which felt completely safe. I think the 'rougher places' have a reputation and people generally behave in them though you wouldn't want to rely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Mary Joe's and the hatchet, both in Ennistymon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

Widow Scanlons on Pearse street. Remember having a pint there years back and it was the kind of kip where if you didnt have an Eire tattoo or a I love ma tattoo you'd be considered a freak. Real IRA sympathisers pub, few shootings there as well if my memory serves me correct. Think its been knocked now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BDubliner wrote: »
    few shootings there as well if my memory serves me correct.

Loyalists killed a door man there in the 90s IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

stovelid wrote: »
    Loyalists killed a door man there in the 90s IIRC.

The UVF (martin cahill's buddies) tried to blow it up one night. From what I remember the doorman was shot dead while stopping them from getting inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

mikemac wrote: »
    Lisburn Rd I believe, could be wrong.
    Just off Sandy Row

Went with a mate mid week to see a football match, was working in the city at the time.

Oh the foul looks I recieved not to mention the questions on "you're not local, are ya?" from the barman.
    Hard to disguise my bogger midlands accent :p

Maybe he didn't want my business.......
    I wasn't welcome anyway.
    And then my friend said not to use the toilets in the pub, I'd be jumped (attacked I mean before you assume something else)
    The guy was from Belfast, I suppose he knew what he was talking about

But it's supposed to be a student pub???

I had some great nights in Auntie Annies when i was living up there. I was always with locals and never had any bother, great craic altogether, its gone quite alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

It did exist. Used to be at the corner of Golden Lane & Great Ship Street at the back of Dublin Castle. It was knocked down when Woodchester Bank/GE Capital developed the site for their offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm gonna thrump anything mentioned before with one sentence.

The Keg, The Olde Oak, Steven Kelly's Carey's and Pat Man's all in Athlone, OMFG!

You must be a softie, been those places a few times and they were fine. Heard Kellys is bad if you're an outsider though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 prazeres

Full of cocaine heads who think they are great should be shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

mikemac wrote: »
    Lisburn Rd I believe, could be wrong.
    Just off Sandy Row

Went with a mate mid week to see a football match, was working in the city at the time.

Oh the foul looks I recieved not to mention the questions on "you're not local, are ya?" from the barman.
    Hard to disguise my bogger midlands accent :p

Maybe he didn't want my business.......
    I wasn't welcome anyway.
    And then my friend said not to use the toilets in the pub, I'd be jumped (attacked I mean before you assume something else)
    The guy was from Belfast, I suppose he knew what he was talking about

But it's supposed to be a student pub???

You are making this up, have drank in annies countless times and brought 6 lads from dublin with before and nobody batted an eyelid.

If you think Annies is rough you should stay in and drink.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D

Molly O'Riadas is not so bad.

Try Nolan's Bar in Nicholas Street Limerick, well dodgy. Another bar up the road from there with the nick name 'Stab Inn'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Doctor Rob wrote: »
    Bruxelles just off Grafton St. Dublin. The downstairs area was full of smelly, long-haired homosexuals with hearing problems.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my scene!)

you obviously thought that "girl" with the beard had hormonal problems when you hit on "her"

Advertisement