Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford mondeo starting problem?

• 28-07-2010 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me. I have a Mondeo mk3 2005 model (petrol). I am having some starting issues with it. On a cold start there is usually no problems and it starts fine. Other times, it can take an extra few seconds before it kicks in...I dont think it ever failed to start but I feel the problem may get worse.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what the issue may be...spark plugs? battery? something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I had similar issues on my 04 2.0l Petrol. I replaced the coil pack and it stopped. Expensive part, was around €200 from Ford IIRC. Took me all of about 5 minutes to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply...Is this the kind of part you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MONDEO-MK3-1-8-2-0-NEW-COIL-PACK-1S7G-12029-AB-2000-05-/280441634660?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414b9fbf64

How hard is it to fit this? Or should I get mechanic to do it?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me. I have a Mondeo mk3 2005 model (petrol). I am having some starting issues with it. On a cold start there is usually no problems and it starts fine. Other times, it can take an extra few seconds before it kicks in...I dont think it ever failed to start but I feel the problem may get worse.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what the issue may be...spark plugs? battery? something else?

Thanks

Coil pack. One of the few faults with mondeos.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

raplh-saggi:
    Does this usually happen when you just run the engine for less than a minute or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have a similiar issue on my 2002 1.8 petrol Mondeo where it starts perfectly from cold, but restarting when hot, especially after a short drive can sometimes be troublesome. It take a lot of turning over to start.

Before you rush out and buy a coil pack, try this trick and see if it helps.

When you are turning the car off after a drive, press the accelerator pedal immediately after turning the key. This will then allow the car to start perfectly next time. Works great for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ralph-saggi

I cannot really put my finger exactly when it is happening...all I know is that when I do start first thing in the morning (ie. from cold) it starts fine..also when I come out from work it starts fine...

However, I think when it is warmed up and I stop for a small while and go back it does kinda turn extra longer when starting up...has never failed yet tho..

Guys, is that part linked above the kinda part I could use in my Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Possible Engine temp sensor at fault, i'd guess.

Since it starts fine from cold, but once warm and if stopped

(still slightly warm) it'd be then hard to restart.

Celtxx wrote: »
    When you are turning the car off after a drive, press the accelerator pedal immediately after turning the key. This will then allow the car to start perfectly next time. Works great for me.

Trust me. Try this and I bet you will see a difference. Something to do with sucking in fresh air on shutdown making it easier to start next time around.

Thanks Celtxx, I will try this and let you know how it goes...I would like to get the part replaced if I thought I could...Is there anyway of me knowing if it actually is the coil pack?

This is a good resource for any Mondeo queries you might have. You will see from reading through the threads that this is a common issue.

http://www.fordmondeo.org

• Advertisement

The trick mentioned by Celtixx does work,I'm using it every day with my 2001 Mondeo 1.8,hence my question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

gibbon75 wrote: »
    The trick mentioned by Celtixx does work,I'm using it every day with my 2001 Mondeo 1.8,hence my question ;)

We had this problem with a 2003 1.8 Zetec,I replaced the Battery with a bigger one(standard one is tiny-fiesta size)cost €180 from ford:eek:
    I also set the sparkplug gap to 1.0mm instead of 1.3mm.
    since that we've had no problems with starting from warm engine;)

ps( Batteries are a lot cheaper for non Ford ones)

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    We had this problem with a 2003 1.8 Zetec,I replaced the Battery with a bigger one(standard one is tiny-fiesta size)cost €180 from ford:eek:
    I also set the sparkplug gap to 1.0mm instead of 1.3mm.
    since that we've had no problems with starting from warm engine;)

ps( Batteries are a lot cheaper for non Ford ones)

I have no problem starting with warm engine...
    See the link above posted by Celtixx

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Celtixx that trick you said does work, thanks alot. I suppose I would really like to get it fixed as well though but I do not know what the problem was.

I am going to get a full service done shortly which will include spark plugs. I will then look at replacing the battery as well. Don't know if that will resolve the issue though?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

gibbon75 wrote: »
    I have no problem starting with warm engine...
    See the link above posted by Celtixx

Yeah,sorry my mistake:o

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

nellocono wrote: »
    Hey John,

Thanks for the reply...Is this the kind of part you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MONDEO-MK3-1-8-2-0-NEW-COIL-PACK-1S7G-12029-AB-2000-05-/280441634660?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414b9fbf64

How hard is it to fit this? Or should I get mechanic to do it?

Thanks

Yep, that's it. It is pretty easy to fit, if you are capable of wiring a plug then you will manage this. Just be sure to mark the leads as you take them off so you can fit them in the right place on the new one. The rest is just plug & play. I know there are 2 types of coil pack, pre & post 2004 I think. They are not cross compatable, so make sure you are buying the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 latheman

hi guys, i have trouble with my mondeo, i have just replaced the plugs, leads and coild pack. now it starts ok but the first couple of minutes when i drive it, it seems to splutter, can anyone help please

Advertisement