Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best fantasy books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a preview chapter for the next book up somewhere. It's about Tyrion. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah excellent, Tyrion ftw.
    Unfortunately I started reading them again and I am on teh third, only to forget it in another County. :(

Lord Eddard Stark rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Sarky wrote:
    Most of the gods even seem a bit confused on what the deal is with magic in that world. :)

It's explained a bit more in later books, particularly Bonehunters, but so far it's still quite mysterious. And I have to say I like it that way. It's a refreshing change from wizards going to school and learning spells like Fireball. And sweet Jebus, the power some of those people can wield is damned impressive. The Malazan world is not a friendly place. :)

With timing typical of me, I made my original post about 5 pages before beginning a series of chapters that start fleshing out the magics of the Malazan world, heh.

I'm astounded by the number of revelations and Long Buried Secrets™, particularly about various character relationships and races, that have come to light in Memories of Ice so far, and I'm only on page 270.

I also feel the need to agree with those who have praised His Dark Materials elsewhere in this thread. I read it in my early/mid teens, which I think is really the perfect time to read this trilogy, and loved it. Memorable characters, great plot and never talks down to the reader, which is always a good thing in a children's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

How has no one mentioned Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle yet? An absolutely stunning monster of a book that left me physically saying "Wow...oh wow!" at the end. Is it fantasy? Science fiction? Alternative history? Mystery? Its everything - it transcends genres and labels. The characters are insanely real and the world (14th Century Europe) is dark and gritty. The woman took a Masters degree in Medieval War Studies as part research specifically for this book ffs! Get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

How has no one mentioned Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle yet? An absolutely stunning monster of a book that left me physically saying "Wow...oh wow!" at the end. Is it fantasy? Science fiction? Alternative history? Mystery? Its everything - it transcends genres and labels. The characters are insanely real and the world (14th Century Europe) is dark and gritty. The woman took a Masters degree in Medieval War Studies as part research specifically for this book ffs! Get it.

thank you for reminding me, I think someone has my copy of that

I wasn't too keen on that book until around 4-500 pages in... I kept reading anyway but it took me a while.. after um.. a few things started to happen though.. I read the rest in a day or two.

Fan smegging tastic. Loved it. If you like fantasy, great writing with believable characters and lots of vulgar women.. pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

The Dark Tower series by Stephrn King very enjoyable.
    I enjoyed David Gemmel's Legend and First Chronicles of Druss the Legend may he rest in piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Interesting how most of the stuff mentioned is fairly recent. No

Elric or Hawkmoon by Moorcock
    Book of Swords by Saberhagen
    Riverworld or World of Tiers by PJ Farmer
    Lankhmar by Lieber
    Books of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
    Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    anything by Jack Vance
    Amber by Zelazny

These are the books I read in college, and few of the Eddings et al type of books reach these standards. IMHO, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

The Wi'Tch books were very good. Very very good.

I've just started the first of his new series. Its called Shadowfall and its DEADLY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adrian3020

It kind of appeals to the fantasy side of my personality that this thread seems dead but I think the fact that Gene Wolfe's Torturer series has not been mentioned is unforgivable. Not a book for the light hearted fantasy fan but the most complete and rewarding sc-fi/fantasy book you will ever read.
    Also, the first few books in the Thieves world series. Books that involved all the best sci-fi/fantasy writers of the day, each story written by a different author, the tales continued on with a different flavour every time..genius.

KEEP ONE HAND ON YOUR MONEY
    AND THE OTHER ON YOUR SWORD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chainfire

Im a big fan of Terry Goodkind (as you can see from my name) but i think he's dragging it out a bit now.Wheel of time series was the biggest load of tripe ive ever read,got to book 7 and lashed it off the wall! Trudi Cavanavan's Black Magican trilogy wasnt bad.worth a read. George RR Martin is excellent,a bit of a slow starter but you really get into it.

• Advertisement

Goodkind books are good and thankfully there is only one more, unlike with Robert Jordan - theres a very good chance he'll die before finishing WOT - he's got some kind of blood cancer or something.

I saw recently that Sam Raimi bought the rights to turn wizards first rule into a TV miniseries - aparently planning to make it after spiderman 3.

That could either be very good or very bad.

Or maybe somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dirty Dave wrote:
    Goodkind books are good and thankfully there is only one more,

I thought they went steadily downhill myself.

Still, I've always said that if/when he finishes them off, I'll get the rest and read them.

Bit like Feist in that sense. The more he wrote, the more it read like "and this is where my DnD campaign has gotten to this year". I finally gave up. IF and when he abandons Midkemia, I might go back there to see how it all finished up.

bonkey wrote:
    I thought they went steadily downhill myself.

QUOTE]

True I suppose, though I've always been a sucker for finishing series, even when they stop being good. Just have to get to the end, no matter what.

That said though, if there are too many, and by that I mean TOO MANY (Feist and Gemmell), I tend to stop anyway. 20-odd books in a series and I give up, mainly cos I dont know what order to read them in. I read all of Gemmell's Drenai books but I never bothered reading any of the smaller series apart from the one with the guy with the guns which wasnt great.

Also I quit if the books get incredibly boring. Like the Dune series after book 4.

(Sits back and awaits the burning!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Adrian3020 wrote:
    I think the fact that Gene Wolfe's Torturer series has not been mentioned is unforgivable.

Hey, I agree with you - see post 98 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Anyone heard of K.J. Parker, finished book one of The Engineer Trilogy,wasnt bad.Never seen any of his(her) books around before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Steven Erikson, Reapers Gale prologue is on Malazin site forum

http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5781

This series keeps getting better, cant wait (March 2007) for Book 7/Reapers Gale, anyone who hasnt checked them out should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adrian3020

nipplenuts wrote:
    Hey, I agree with you - see post 98 :D

I'm such an IDIOT...ha-ha..well at least I know you have good literary taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 polly oliver

Finished reading Llyn Flewelling's (think thats spelled right) támir triad recently. Excellent. Sort of looks at the idea that the end justifies the means.

Trudi canavan has to be one of the best newcomers in recent years.

Really liked maggie fury's first series.

Love Robin Hobb. The liveship books are definatly better than the farseer.

Will always have a soft spot for Eddings even if he is a bit formulaic. (He even outlines the formula in the Rivian Codex).

Terry Pratchett. Too good for words.

And finally Neil Gaiman. No body has mentioned him yet. I know hes mostly knwn for the sandman comics but they definatly compete with any of the novels mentioned here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I love Marian Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon and also her book Firebrand. Excellent interpretations of well known legends.

I also really like Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, it's just an amazing book.

These are of course on top of the usual suspects like Tolkien, RR Martin and a couple of others also mentioned.

I also enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's early Dragon of Pern books and her Crystal Singer trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

chronicles of galen sword by the reeves stevens. real world fantasy 10 years before the likes of the dresden files and anita blake were written. excellent real world fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frenchtaxi

wow... were to begin...

i dont have a particular favourite, but i can remember some good reads!!!

the obvious... lotr! ;)

Brooks... Shannara

David Eddings... the Belgariad and the Mallorean

Steven Erikson... Malazan books

mmmmmm........ HP was well written, hardly a favourite though!!! :D

im sure there are others that just wont come to mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ttasty

Love the riftwar saga! Magician is so good and im not that in2 fantasy stuff, half way through Silverthorn at the mo, excellent stuff too::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Keep going. The Riftwar serieses are my favourites. I have successfully managed to acquire a complete collection of Feist 1st editions. And got him to sign all of them when he was in Dublin a few months ago :D

The Riftwar Legacy books aren't the greatest but the whole storyline of the 5 riftwars is still continuing. Latest is that the Darkwar (3rd Riftwar) is set to be completed in September (tentative publication date - he ain't finished writing it yet) :) The 4th Riftwar - Demonwar - is a short war and leads into the 5th Riftwar - ChaosWar - where the all the rules change.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

Another cracking series is the Renshai books by Mickey Zucker Reichert. It's based on Norse mythology. One of the few series I read for a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Michael Moorcock is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Odd that no-one here has mentioned Jack Vance. His "Dying Earth" series, started in 1950, is highly entertaining, and Vance's turn of phrase is second to none.
    The innkeeper appeared at his elbow. "I have prepared your reckoning, Master Zamp."

Zamp stared in bewilderment. "My reckoning? I will settle my account when I leave the premises."

"There has been a mistake. Viliweg had already reserved the chamber into which I mistakenly placed you."

Zamp lowered his hand to the pommel of his rapier. "Three options are open for your consideration. You may return to Viliweg that sum double your ordinary rent which he has just paid you; you may arrange for me free and without charge the best room available at The Jolly Glassblower; or you may elect to spill a quantity of your blood upon this floor."

The innkeeper drew back a step. "Your imputations are insulting! I am not a man to take kindly to threats! Still, as I now reflect on the matter, the accommodation I promised Viliweg was not "River Vista" which you occupy, but a section of the "Placid Repose" dormitory overlooking the tide-flats. All is well, after all."
    He has won virtually every award in the SF&F field. In author polls, he is always 'up there' (eg, at Locus 1999 All-Time Poll). Try something by him, you won't be disappointed:

The Dying Earth (aka Mazirian the Magician, a collection of interconnected short stories set in the far distant future where the sun is about to go out and magicians rule the world)
    The Dragon Masters (Hugo Award Winner)
    The Last Castle (Hugo and Nebula Award Winner)
    Lyonesse trilogy (World Fantasy Award)

A bunch of his fans (I am one) got together and formed the Vance Integral Edition.
    The Vance Integral Edition project published a complete, corrected and archival quality edition of Vance's work, under the aegis of the author himself. The project was begun in 1998; it gathered hundreds of Vance readers worldwide. The V.I.E. project was unprecedented in the history of literature: never have readers paid comparable homage to a writer, and never has a writer received such a treatment over the Internet. The V.I.E. bookset was available by subscription to the entire set only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

unless i'm mistaken, no one has mentioned the fionavar tapestry by guy gavriel kay, or tigana or sailing to sarantium (basically anything by him... almost, is worth reading, and as soon as you read one, you'll read them all!!!)

The amber series by zelazny as well is just brilliant (just noticed it was mentioned, great read nonetheless)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Come on guys, Neil Gaiman has to get a mention here.

American Gods
    Neverwhere
    Stardust
    Anansi Boys...

And then any or all of the Discworld novels. Terry Pratchett is a god when it comes to fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I love Marian Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon
    +1

And Robert Faulcons' Night Hunter series and well as Mythago Wood series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been getting very absorbed in Robert E. Howard's original Chronicles of Conan. You can tell they were all written back in the days when nobody really knew how to do fantasy, but Howard really got the ball rolling. The short stories all have that special something that draws you in and holds you. It's some of the best stuff you'll read, and I recommend it as readily as anyone else already mentioned.

Advertisement