Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite fantasy series

• 13-02-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there

Was wondering what anyone thinks of the “Death Gate Cycle” I read the 1st 3 books but never finished it. Just wondering what people think of it - I would say in my opinion I enjoyed the 1st 3 books even more than the dragonlance series of books.
    Just so you know my favourite series of fantasy books and standalone are:
    Dragonlance books
    Some standalone ravenloft books (but they are hit and miss)
    Lord of the rings
    Magician by Raymond feist
    Faerytale by Raymond feist
    Aeon by Greg Bear (never got into rendezvous with Rama) for Sci Fi and The Sentinel
    Have never read the wheel of time books
    Did read a couple of Shannara books didn’t really like them, but for some reason the Death Gate cycle really stuck with me

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In recent years, I've really enjoyed two of NK Jamesin's series, The Broken Earth trilogy and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms series and novellas. Older favourites include the Earthsea books (not read since I was a kid though). For standalone, more cyberpunk than fantasy, but love Mievilles Perdito Street Station, The Scar and Railsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    The Riftwar Saga - Feist
    The Belgariad / The Malloreon / The Elenium and The Tamuli - Eddings
    The Word & Void and nearly all of the Shannara books - Brooks
    Malazan book of the Fallen - Erikson also some of the associated books by Esslemont

I really liked the next two up to a point
    I could never finish the Wheel of Time (two attempts) just got too repetitive and drawn out
    The sword of Truth - Goodkind, was great until the author got very preachy/political

Many more but those are the ones that spring to mind

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Lord of the Rings (obviously!)
    Wheel of Time
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (Tad Williams)
    Elderlings (Robin Hobb)
    Discworld

Honourable mentions for Feist, Jemisin, Donaldson, Sanderson, Salvatore (Drizzt), Robert Asprin and JV Jones.

Yeah, more fantasy than sci-fi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Game Of Thrones even with its ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sword of truth apparently went on to 22 books or something; I managed to drag my way to book 8 or so which I thought was series closure and it felt like reading a 60s political commentary on Soviet union from the USA view.

I'll second Discword and esp. the Watch and Going Postal parts (don't look at the BBC tv series and ruin the great series by poor tv).

I'll add something glaringly missing with the Malazan series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

The dresden files

Discworld

the wheel of time

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Nody wrote: »
    Sword of truth apparently went on to 22 books or something; I managed to drag my way to book 8 or so which I thought was series closure and it felt like reading a 60s political commentary on Soviet union from the USA view.

My thoughts exactly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I thought the first Sword of Truth book was weak enough, and I'd heard it only gets worse (MUCH worse) from there, so I left it at that.

Malazan should be in the conversation, but I found it too dense for me and got lost somewhere around book 5 or 6. There's no denying the quality, but just not for me

Edit; Almost forgot, the Riyria books are excellent, much more my style.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Black Company is an excellent series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably all the popular ones above. But theres a few there I've not read.

Some of these I read decades ago...

Gormenghast
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    Not really a series but Elric of Melniboné

Wheel of Time but it had problems.
    Hobbit, Lord of the Rings
    Horseclans by Robert Adams
    Magician but kinda struggled near the end.
    GOT even with its ending.
    Dragonriders of Pern
    Some of Discworld not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I'm surprised L.E Modesitt hasn't been mentioned. There's the Saga of Recluce series, and The Imager Portfolio.

I found Thomas Covenant fine the first time I read it, but it really drags if you try to reread it. You get to the point in the story where you remember a key plot point. 20 pages later, and you're still waiting to get there. Another 20 pages, and you're ready to throw the book across the room because it still hasn't happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

seagull wrote: »
    I'm surprised L.E Modesitt hasn't been mentioned. There's the Saga of Recluce series, and The Imager Portfolio.

I found Thomas Covenant fine the first time I read it, but it really drags if you try to reread it. You get to the point in the story where you remember a key plot point. 20 pages later, and you're still waiting to get there. Another 20 pages, and you're ready to throw the book across the room because it still hasn't happened.

Don't read wheel of time if you find Covenant tedious in this regard.

Haven't read Covenant in a very long time. Though I did re-read it a few times but very long ago. It just sticks in my head. Maybe I wouldn't have patience for it anymore.

Advertisement