Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Rawr wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like that other Roddenberry creation "Andromeda".
    A ship out of it's own time, trying to piece together the System Commonwealth Federation.

Never really cared too much about Andromeda back in the day...but maybe maybe they manage it in Discovery. As long as they make it a genuine team-effort style story and not just Micheal being the "Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force" again...because I can't stand that nonsense anymore.

Voyager was basically the same premise as Battlestar Galactica, and it seems to have worked for lots of people.

Not me, I should say, but lots of people watched it for 7 seasons, so there we are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds a lot like that other Roddenberry creation "Andromeda".
    A ship out of it's own time, trying to piece together the System Commonwealth Federation.

Never really cared too much about Andromeda back in the day...but maybe maybe they manage it in Discovery. As long as they make it a genuine team-effort style story and not just Micheal being the "Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force" again...because I can't stand that nonsense anymore.

I've never watched Andromeda myself, though seen enough via YouTube's and channel retrospectives to know it wouldn't have been for me.

Like I said before, this is one context where Saviour Burnham might make narrative sense. For an idea like this, you kinda would have a Figurehead to rally around; Burnham becoming the face of a restored Federation to rally around would track. I get she's far down the list of people's favourite Trek characters but maybe - maybe - here's where the insistence on her primacy might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That listed as new? I'm 99% sure that's the same content from the last (first?) promotion. Production has certainly been silent on this, bar the brief tattle that said post-production was still a WIP (and currently done remotely)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah it's the original promo they released in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

pixelburp wrote: »
    That listed as new? I'm 99% sure that's the same content from the last (first?) promotion. Production has certainly been silent on this, bar the brief tattle that said post-production was still a WIP (and currently done remotely)

Yeah, coupla of extra little scenes but nothing new and still no date but 2020

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah it's the original promo they released in October.

October! Yikes, yeah I suppose it has been that long. Ordinarily that might suggest strife behind the scenes but unlike seasons 1 and 2, have heard nothing of any production problems (bar the need to post produce remotely), so had presumed the show had finally got smooth sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that disappointing. Its over 6 months since they released that and nothing new. I know the Pandemic has stopped a lot happening but if all the shooting had been done surely they could have came up with another trailer for it by now. I suppose they are just trying to make sure no one forgets its still coming at some stage.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've been searching around to find out when Discovery S3 will air. Too many sites purporting to know release dates but nothing concrete found (I hate Click bait). Does anyone have any knowledge of a possible date?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Nope, nothing concrete exists. We know more about the Lower Decks cartoon than Season 3 at this point. The theory is that the virtual Comic Con coming up might shed some light

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'm sure Google will alert me to it once it's up. I'm looking forward to watching Lower Decks as something for a giggle. Do we know what channel/streaming service it will be available on in Ireland?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

astrofluff wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm sure Google will alert me to it once it's up. I'm looking forward to watching Lower Decks as something for a giggle. Do we know what channel/streaming service it will be available on in Ireland?!

So far it has no international distributors from the videos I've seen. Amazon and Netflix aren't interested is what they're saying so it's CBS All Access in US only at the moment

Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So far it has no international distributors from the videos I've seen. Amazon and Netflix aren't interested is what they're saying so it's CBS All Access in US only at the moment
    I am hoping the Comedy channel seek to get it because that's on Sky 🙂

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Last years tied into the finale, in the worst possible way: basically if you hadn't seen a random 15 minute webisode via Netflix, Tilly's 11th hour "oh my good friend is a queen on a planet that mines Mcguffinanium" was even more baffling and arbitrary. If that were possible. I knew who she was and still found it bloody awful writing.

So keeping the shorts separated from the main series would be a better move - even if it reignites the clamour for a Pine-Enterprise spin off.

Rumour has it, that one of those shorts will be pretty important for Season 3. The whole AI and abandoned ship episode.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I've been searching around to find out when Discovery S3 will air. Too many sites purporting to know release dates but nothing concrete found (I hate Click bait). Does anyone have any knowledge of a possible date?

Season 3 out on October 15th

Finally. Now give us a new trailer you cowards!

Said it before but I do believe this season, if going the way it looks to, may have found a way to justify the Burnham as Saviour theme it kept falling into.

Ms

So a year after the first trailer for season 3 came out it will finally air. The 10 weeks prior to this the new Lower Decks show will be out so that is 23 consecutive weeks of new Star Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

If it's going to be Burnham Redentor again they should just give her the big chair.

Worstest trailer ever-er.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Worstest trailer ever-er.

For some reason it reminded me of that scene in Hunger Games: Mockingjay where Katniss is asked to wave a flag around dramatically as part of a propaganda movie for the resistance.

In that scene the resistance chiefs get pissed with Katniss for delivering a wooden and unbelievable performance.

Here, it think it's better to share it:

I can't help but wonder if
    a) They saw this scene and mindlessly copied it while missing the point, or
    b) They really should have seen this scene to understand why their trailer might not be a good idea.

CBS....*must try harder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm reminded of that appalling bad trailer they did for Season 1

2uw6bh.jpg

Seems a new character will be a non-binary transgender Trill.

I'd put money on it that it could be the Dax symbiont. Could be wrong, but I'd put a 10er on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Seems a new character will be a non-binary transgender Trill.

I'd put money on it that it could be the Dax symbiont. Could be wrong, but I'd put a 10er on it.

I think it's characters, plural. One is non-binary, the other is a transgender un-joined Trill.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-introduces-first-trangender-and-non-binary-characters
    The Star Trek universe’s first non-binary character is Adira, played by Blu del Barrio. Adira is highly intelligent with a confidence and self-assurance well beyond their years. They will find a new home on the U.S.S. Discovery and form an unexpected bond with Lt. Commander Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp) and Dr. Hugh Culber (Wilson Cruz). The first transgender character is Gray, portrayed by Ian Alexander. Gray is empathetic, warm and eager to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a Trill host, but he will have to adapt when his life takes an unexpected turn.

Makes sense for trills with symbiont would be non binary since they've lived different genders and very different lives each time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

is there a straight white male left in the show with spock, pike etc all gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Heading the new character bios with their identities just seems like using that as a shield for poorly written characters. I'll be interested to see how they reconcile being transgender with having basically mastered genetic engineering. Then again it's STD...

They're also not firsts. The trigender species from Enterprise and Species 8472 already beat them to the non binary punch and, well, there was that episode when Quark transitioned albeit temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭flazio

is there a straight white male left in the show with spock, pike etc all gone ?

Saru :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Evade wrote: »
    Heading the new character bios with their identities just seems like using that as a shield for poorly written characters. I'll be interested to see how they reconcile being transgender with having basically mastered genetic engineering. Then again it's STD...

They're also not firsts. The trigender species from Enterprise and Species 8472 already beat them to the non binary punch and, well, there was that episode when Quark transitioned albeit temporarily.

Not to forget this episode of TNG either:
    tng_outcast.jpg

I share a similar fear. When people start singing to the rooftops about an particular attribute rather than details of the character in-universe, I tend to be concerned that character development was a secondary concern. I could hopefully be wrong...but it feels that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

flazio wrote: »
    Saru :D

oh yeah.....and he has to play the alien.

Maybe discovery is keeping with how things will be,never mind the future, the white straight male is an endangered species already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I share a similar fear. When people start singing to the rooftops about an particular attribute rather than details of the character in-universe, I tend to be concerned that character development was a secondary concern. I could hopefully be wrong...but it feels that way.

Spot on. Like Burnham and her first name being "Michael", this all about 21st century US Identity politics and Hollywood virtue-signalling rather than good characters and plots.

If an actor portrays a good, interesting, well-written character, then that should be what defines them - not what gender/identity they or the actor are

Advertisement