Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is with me? 7th Chevron Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

EnterNow wrote: »
    Finished the Atlantis Season 5 finale last night. I had forgotten to watch Ark of Truth before starting Season 4 of Atlantis, so now I get to watch

Ark of Truth
    Atlantis Season 5 opener episode "Search & Rescue"
    Continuum

Then with Continuum out of the way, the rest of Atlantis Season 5...

just watched the final Atlantis episode yesterday as well. its a shame they didn't continue on after 5th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

just watched the final Atlantis episode yesterday as well. its a shame they didn't continue on after 5th season.

Agree, didn't like the Finale all that much. Loved the Vegas episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Finished both Ark of Truth & Continuum, so the SG1 part of this run through sadly comes to an end. Onwards with Atlantis, & I watched the excellent "The Shrine" episode last night, where Rodney develops an Alzheimer-like condition. David Hewlitt did a fantastic job acting this out, not that that means much, he's always fantastic!

I actually sort of wish McKay had died there. It would have been an excellent episode then! How they resolved his illness with the drill and stuff was kind of silly.
    I'd love if they'd explored his whole been ticked off over them making him healthy for just a single day only to fall back into misery again and die.

Jernal wrote: »
    How they resolved his illness with the drill and stuff was kind of silly

Yeah, true, I agree there. It also would have been interesting to explore the die a lingering undignified death v quick & honorable way, which they only briefly touched on. But kill McKay? Nah, no way :)

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah, true, I agree there. It also would have been interesting to explore the die a lingering undignified death v quick & honorable way, which they only briefly touched on. But kill McKay? Nah, no way :)

It's Stargate! He could have had a back up clone made from the DNA stored in the database of that Tao of Rodney episode. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I started Atlantis there last night!

I reckon I've only seen it once so I'm looking forward to watching all 5 seasons and picking up on small details that I would of missed before!

I'm not going to watch SG1 so any tips to remember while watching (particularly around season endings?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw the second half of the finale of SG1. Having missed most of 8-10 I didn't really know wtf was going on. :P

Indeed. :pac:

Saw the second half of the finale of SG1. Having missed most of 8-10 I didn't really know wtf was going on. :P

Indeed. :pac:

The finale to the Ori story arc you missed out on is the movie Ark of Truth, the show itself didn't wrap up the story. You really should watch season 8-10, I really enjoyed the Ori arc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Season 5 started before the official cancellation which might be partly why the final episode finished in such a way, the other part was the movies which were still a go (To my knowledge) when the final episode was released. Would have been nice if at least one movie was made to finish things up properly.
    Originally Posted by The Black Oil
    Saw the second half of the finale of SG1. Having missed most of 8-10 I didn't really know wtf was going on.

Indeed.

SG1 had the film to finish the story but do watch the final two seasons, they're a good watch and could have been done as a full separate Stargate show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Milled through season 1 of Atlantis and have started season 2

the siege of Atlantis is such an epic 3 show story line!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

SG1 had the film to finish the story but do watch the final two seasons, they're a good watch and could have been done as a full separate Stargate show.

the ori were such a cheap lazy copy of west v islam, it was embarrasing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

O'Neill: I serve the SGC under a General Hammond.
    Bra'tac: So this Hammond is...?
    O'Neill: Just a man. A very good, very bald man. From Texas.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Bull****

Well, the final two eps of Atlantis are all I have left, "Vegas", & "Enemy at the Gates". I must admit, the show has dragged for the last two seasons, while it's still good & likeable, I feel ideas were in short supply.

"Vegas" watched, just the finale left. Something so cool about a Wraith walking through Las Vegas to the beat of Sympathy for the Devil :cool: Great episode actually.

I'll prob be kicking off Universe tonight by the looks of it. Jeez, my Stargate journey draws near to an end :(

And I'm done. Atlantis complete. One thing I failed to realise last time, is that there's a scene just before the end where Sheppard goes into the holding area where Tod is being kept, & Sheppard asks "...and what's going to happen next time?" {having previously hinted at killing him}, & Tod replies "Is there going to be a next time?"...and that's it.

Sheppard has released Todd before, when he kept up his end of another deal they made. So I imagine after Todd kept up his end of the recent deal they made, by providing some ZPM's, that Sheppard would have let him go back to the Pegasus galaxy had there have been another season. Todd is such a great character :cool:

Universe beckons.

Care to elaborate as I disagree.

watching the sg-1 episode Fragile balance. the one where o'niell has turned into a boy :D

Teal'c: does not being younger give better health and vitality??

O'niell: my vitality was just fine.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

One thing that always got me, (I may be getting my timelines mixed up as its been a while since i seen that ep) but when they wanted to use O'Neill in the chair after he was frozen but could not..why did they not just get his clone (mini me) who has all his knowledge and abilities anyway?

• Advertisement

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    One thing that always got me, (I may be getting my timelines mixed up as its been a while since i seen that ep) but when they wanted to use O'Neill in the chair after he was frozen but could not..why did they not just get his clone (mini me) who has all his knowledge and abilities anyway?

i was watching that episode the last day actually. i could be wrong on this but thor made the point to loki that he should of known better to try an clone o'neill as the asgard put a marker in his d.n.a. i say the marker blocks those ability's. i could be wrong though.

i was watching that episode the last day actually. i could be wrong on this but thor made the point to loki that he should of known better to try an clone o'neill as the asgard put a marker in his d.n.a. i say the marker blocks those ability's. i could be wrong though.

Not sure when you guys are talking about but that bit above is reaching. The ancient gene that Carson pioneered seemed to be a simple fix. It'd be highly unlikely that Asgard, of all races, DNA's marker would hinder gene activity of any kind.

Jernal wrote: »
    Not sure when you guys are talking about but that bit above is reaching. The ancient gene that Carson pioneered seemed to be a simple fix. It'd be highly unlikely that Asgard, of all races, DNA's marker would hinder gene activity of any kind.

Im that case nevermind the waffle im on about :p. I actually forgot all about the gene therapy

So, I'm finished season 1 of Universe. This is my third time watching it, & to be completely honest, I'm really enjoying it. The only episode in the whole season I wasn't pushed on was the one with the ticks that make some characters hallucinate, but otherwise, it was a very refreshing change of direction for Stargate.

O' Neill: We have our moments. Um, will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air. Outside. General, Captain, General, Waiter?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Myrddin wrote: »
    So, I'm finished season 1 of Universe. This is my third time watching it, & to be completely honest, I'm really enjoying it. The only episode in the whole season I wasn't pushed on was the one with the ticks that make some characters hallucinate, but otherwise, it was a very refreshing change of direction for Stargate.

Cant recall which episode it was, Eli and Chole in a nightclub really irked me. Stargate not star nightclub with drunken romantic comedy love scene. Whole episode grrrrrr.

Did try to photoshop the writing tho :-)

somuj wrote: »
    Cant recall which episode it was, Eli and Chole in a nightclub really irked me. Stargate not star nightclub with drunken romantic comedy love scene. Whole episode grrrrrr.

Yeah I remember it, don't remember the ep name but it didn't bother me much. As i said, I'm finding the change in direction hugely refreshing, not that I didn't like the original format of SG-1 & Atlantis, but because by the end of Atlantis, something different had to be done, it was tired, worn out, & most ideas had been done by then.

Sure, Universe could have been done better, but it needed more episodes to establish itself. Imagine SG-1 having been cancelled after two seasons, look how it turned out.
    Did try to photoshop the writing tho :-)

Huh?

Onto the final finish, & half way through Season 2 of Universe. I've no shame in admitting I'm thoroughly enjoying Universe so far either.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ok folks, the time has come. Over the last year I've fully watched Star Trek ENT, DS9 & Voyager, and most recently Space: Above & Beyond. Sufficient time has passed for me to do only my second ever viewing of all things Stargate...& you know what? I cannot f**king wait :cool:

In about half an hour I'm gonna kick off with the original feature film, Kurt Russel fan that I am. Then from tomorrow I'll start SG1, eventually merging in Atlantis, the two SG1 features, & then Universe. Lets see how long all of that will keee me busy!

So, has anyone yet to embark on such a quest? Is anyone part way through a run-through? Speak!

And 9 months later, I'm done. Finished up the Universe finale last night. That's the original move, all of SG1, Ark of Truth & Continuum, Atlantis, & Universe. What an incredible show, & I think I've concluded, that it overtakes Star Trek for me. I don't say that lightly, I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, but Stargate pips it.

Loved the original movie, & SG1 expanded upon it so well. Such memorable characters in all the shows, loved the Goa'uld story arc, the Ori arc, & the replicators. O'Neil, Jackson, Carter & Teal'c worked so well together on screen & made the show what it was. Obviously around the time of the X303/4's, there was less emphasis on exploration, & that I felt was probably the wrong direction.

I really enjoyed Atlantis, & the Wraith arc. It did have some flaws, like the dumbing down of the Wraith, the connection to home via the Daedalus etc...but on the whole, I thought Shepard, McKay, Ronan & Teyla were very good on screen. McKay was a standout character in the show, & superbly acted I thought. A somewhat disappointing end to the show, though in the last season ideas seemed low on the ground. A direct to dvd film would have been really good.

Loved Universe. I know it gets a lot of flak, but while its fresh in my mind, I thought I'd say just how refreshing it was. A new direction for Stargate, & a badly needed one at that. A much darker show, & this is perhaps the tone Atlantis should have had, real isolation, tension, & survival. Like the others, it had its flaws, the communication stones were convenient, & I think perhaps they could have gotten more mileage out of not being in control of the ship, before Rush cracked the master code & discovered the bridge. Chloe too, was poorly implemented. However, Robert Carlyle was just incredible as Rush...what a screen presence. Without doubt the standout character. Louis Ferreira as Young too was really, really good I thought. David Blue as Eli is another standout character for me, really really well acted. It's a crying shame, & a travesty in fact, that Universe didn't get at least one more season...it would have come good, I'm convinced of it.

Anyway, there's little more I can say now that I'm finished. So thanks to those who posted in the thread, & contributed :)

• Advertisement

Second half of Universe season 2 was on par with Enterprise season 4 in showing what the show could really be, as with Enterprise it was to late.

Might watch it again.

Advertisement