Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

al28283 wrote: »
    I watched " the hunted" recently from TNG. Theres a violent, genteically modified killer who has just escaped from the brig roaming free on the ship.
    Security is on full alert, but that's no reason for Worf or any of the security teams to move any faster than a casual stroll

They do that in Voyager as well, one episode called Drone shows the security team meeting 7 of 9 and they all walk to a science lab where they believe Borg to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Folks, are you referring to the captains with Whoopi or is there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I too would like to know if there is another one? Anyone got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I too would like to know if there is another one? Anyone got a link?

Just seen this now, roaming the star trek forum at 4am means I'm a bit tired. Will have to give it a watch, there is spoilers inside http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524274

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No this is a new, 2011 production. It's well worth watching. It's on the US version of Netflix ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

So why did Voyager's nacelles need to move before going to warp and need to move back down again when out of warp? Why not just fix them in the up position when they built it?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

How about having Harry kim a fresh out of starfleet ensign and Tom Paris(on temporary release from the pen) on the senior staff? Even tho the crew is made up of far more senior officers with years of experience.

EnterNow wrote: »
    AVGN & Mofo Mike have a bash at Star Trek Trivia :D - http://cinemassacre.com/2012/01/27/trek-trivia/

And here's the TNG Edition - http://cinemassacre.com/2012/02/04/trek-trivia-next-generation/ [NSFW]

Goldstein wrote: »
    So why did Voyager's nacelles need to move before going to warp and need to move back down again when out of warp? Why not just fix them in the up position when they built it?

I don't think there is a reason besides the effect of making Voyager look more advanced without having to point at many different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Because it looks cool. No other reason. It was just a toy for the CGI guys.

somuj wrote: »
    How about having Harry kim a fresh out of starfleet ensign and Tom Paris(on temporary release from the pen) on the senior staff? Even tho the crew is made up of far more senior officers with years of experience.

New ships tend to have new crews. They needed Paris for navigating the badlands. And a fair few of the senior staff die in the first episode such as the chief medical officer and first officer.

I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at having a green ensign and an ex criminal on the bridge. Everyone around here gives TNG a pass but they had a Klingon, an Android, a pair of boobs and a child on the bridge. It's all relative. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

In TNG Episode "Force of Nature", Star Fleet were polluting space with their nasty warp drives, with no catalytic converters. :p

So according to:
    http://www.startrek.com/database_article/voyager
    Voyager's folding wing-and-nacelle warp drive system allows the starship to exceed the warp 5 "speed limit" without polluting the space continuum.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    In TNG Episode "Force of Nature", Star Fleet were polluting space with their nasty warp drives, with no catalytic converters. :p

So according to:
    http://www.startrek.com/database_article/voyager

Yeah but the question is why not have the nacelles in the slanted position permanently? Why do they need to have a flat position for non warp use at all like

Since no other Starship design (That I know) had the same nacelle design it seems the idea of anti-pollution was either added after CGI design or in the Trek Universe found to be ineffective which still wouldn't cover the reason for up and down so makes CGI design more plausible.

Since no other Starship design (That I know) had the same nacelle design it seems the idea of anti-pollution was either added after CGI design or in the Trek Universe found to be ineffective which still wouldn't cover the reason for up and down so makes CGI design more plausible.

I'm nearly sure I read before, the design IS related to the TNG episode where its learned that warp-drive is damaging sub-space. Voyagers design was to remedy that, but still doesn't explain why it has moveable nacelles. I never really thought about it before, its a good question - why not just have them up all the time :confused:

I'm nearly sure I read before, the design IS related to the TNG episode where its learned that warp-drive is damaging sub-space. Voyagers design was to remedy that, but still doesn't explain why it has moveable nacelles I never really thought about it before, its a good question - why not just have them up all the time :confused:

It's an interesting question, I've seen it asked before on other forums but there was never a definitive answer, it could be a combination of things like Star Trek back story with movement to make it look good in CGI, after Googling it I came a cross two sites that say Voyager can be seen in Equinox Part 2 with the nacelles down while at warp, I flicked through the episode but found nothing.

Halfway through my rerun of Enterprise now, nearing the end of Season 2. This is prob my 3rd/4th run through of the show, it's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. There's some great episodes, & pound for pound against voyager season 1-4, it trounces it.

Mayweather though is a horrific character

Just think, they even made an episode where he died, sadly it was a con.

Halfway through my rerun of Enterprise now, nearing the end of Season 2. This is prob my 3rd/4th run through of the show, it's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. There's some great episodes, & pound for pound against voyager season 1-4, it trounces it.

I love Enterprise. Most of the episodes anyway. The dephic expanse was an excellent story line. Hated the final episode tho. Never understood why they wasted it on the TNG.

I love Enterprise. Most of the episodes anyway. The dephic expanse was an excellent story line. Hated the final episode tho. Never understood why they wasted it on the TNG.

It was a desperate ending, a true testimony as to how the show was f**ked over. Also, I think I'm the only trek fan who actually likes Archer

That ending made me wonder if the creators thought Enterprise was so far gone they needed some way of pulling it in to the Star Trek that's known to the masses.

• Advertisement

It was a desperate ending, a true testimony as to how the show was f**ked over. Also, I think I'm the only trek fan who actually likes Archer

I actually thought Archer was a decent captain for the time persiod. Didnt realise there was such hatred off him till I started trolling this forum and then googled him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I actually thought Archer was a decent captain for the time persiod. Didnt realise there was such hatred off him till I started trolling this forum and then googled him.

Not so much the character but the way that Scott Bakula played him, especially as he had shown that he could do a character like that well, in Quantum Leap

Not so much the character but the way that Scott Bakula played him, especially as he had shown that he could do a character like that well, in Quantum Leap

What is it that bothers people about how Archer is played? I find him quite likeable

What is it that bothers people about how Archer is played? I find him quite likeable

Best example of it that I have heard people go crazy about is in "In a Mirror Darkly", where trying to act authorative begins and ends with puffing cheeks out, with every word. He also seemed very self conscious, in his movements, looking a bit wooden.
    For me it was the forced attempt at authority/anger that got me but not as much as some people

Best example of it that I have heard people go crazy about is in "In a Mirror Darkly", where trying to act authorative begins and ends with puffing cheeks out, with every word. He also seemed very self conscious, in his movements, looking a bit wooden.
    For me it was the forced attempt at authority/anger that got me but not as much as some people

Some people are like that though, not everyone has a natural authority. He's an explorer at heart. If anything yes, he's probably too soft for the role, but the early focus was on 'innocent/naive exploration', which I think he does well.

Some people are like that though, not everyone has a natural authority. He's an explorer at heart. If anything yes, he's probably too soft for the role, but the early focus was on 'innocent/naive exploration', which I think he does well.

That is the thing though, he played the explorer very well. However, he was also the captain of an interstellar ship, that had come up through the ranks of Starfleet, that did not come through. I would blame the directors/producers more for this though.

That is the thing though, he played the explorer very well. However, he was also the captain of an interstellar ship, that had come up through the ranks of Starfleet, that did not come through. I would blame the directors/producers more for this though.

But Starfleet was in its infancy, it's sole mission was exploration under guidance of the Vulcans. It made sense to have a softer, diplomatic approach when first venturing out there.

I think in the 3rd & 4th seasons they tried to make Archer that bit more aggressive, & as you say, it didn't quite work. I much preferred him in the opening two seasons when it was more exploration based.

In a Mirror Darkly can't be (In my view) used as a description for how good or bad a character was, both DS9 and Voyager did episodes with alternate characters and both were done in a way to make the original character look more favorable.

Archer wasn't a bad captain nor was he the best, I liked him but he was better when played as the happy explorer captain rather then the frustrated Xindi weapon hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I really would have liked some more Vulcan history. The Surak's followers episodes were great and more about the Sundering, and how the situation on Remus came to be would have been really interesting.

• Advertisement

I really would have liked some more Vulcan history. The Surak's followers episodes were great and more about the Sundering, and how the situation on Remus came to be would have been really interesting.

Wiki has a little bit on that which might have proved interesting.

Plans for Season 5
    At the time of its cancellation, planning for a proposed fifth season of Enterprise was underway. Most details of this never-made season come from comments made by producer Manny Coto who in 2009 stated that two arcs of this season may have been to show the 'origins of the Federation' and 'whispers of the Romulan war', and consequently, the Romulans would have been the major villains of the season.[16]
    Coto also stated that had the series been given a fifth season, the recurring Andorian character of Shran may have joined the Enterprise in an advisory role.
    Other possible plans for the season included: an episode showing the construction of the first starbase; a Borg Queen origins story with Alice Krige as a Starfleet medical technician who makes contact with the Borg from Season 2's "Regeneration" and becomes the Borg Queen, and a Mirror Universe arc spanning four or five episodes.
    There were also hopes for an episode in which T'Pol would finally meet her father and discover that he was in fact a Romulan agent who had posed as a Vulcan officer prior to faking his own death. The revelation that T'Pol was half-Romulan would have shed light on her affinity for humanity and as well as her interest in experimenting with emotions.

Advertisement