Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discworld MUD

• 24-06-2014 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Another shout out for the awesome Disc World MUD - I don't know where to start with this...

The game is text based and will run from any machine. One of the pluses I like is that it will run from my command line at work so I always look busy!

The game is absolutely HUGE - the city of Ankh Morpork alone is bigger than most other MUDS. It does take a lot of getting used to for people accustomed to high graphics bonanzas but personally I find it a lot more flexible and the existing players are very friendly.

The link is in the main thread but in case anyone else wants it:

http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Another shout out for the awesome Disc World MUD - I don't know where to start with this...

The game is text based and will run from any machine. One of the pluses I like is that it will run from my command line at work so I always look busy!

The game is absolutely HUGE - the city of Ankh Morpork alone is bigger than most other MUDS. It does take a lot of getting used to for people accustomed to high graphics bonanzas but personally I find it a lot more flexible and the existing players are very friendly.

The link is in the main thread but in case anyone else wants it:

http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

I played this for far too long when I was 12 and 13, nearly a decade and a half ago now. I checked in about 5 years ago and there were about 80 regular players, down from ~200 at peak when I first played. That still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Nichololas wrote: »
    I played this for far too long when I was 12 and 13, nearly a decade and a half ago now. I checked in about 5 years ago and there were about 80 regular players, down from ~200 at peak when I first played. That still the case?

Hi buddy,

Last time I logged in was two weeks ago, there were around 75 people online so I think you have it right. Such a wonderful thing about text based games though, they can endure much longer than highly faddish ones like the Matrix Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I loved this. I still log on occasionally but never do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Hi buddy,

Last time I logged in was two weeks ago, there were around 75 people online so I think you have it right. Such a wonderful thing about text based games though, they can endure much longer than highly faddish ones like the Matrix Online.

I think even last time I played it looked like there was still a solid core that didn't really play but just logged in to chat. When I did play there was always a sense that people were still exploring and finding undiscovered secrets.

One of the (sort of) problems I found when I put 20 or so hours into it a couple years ago is that the game is so incredibly vast and deep. Whole extra continents, massive cities, languages, etc had been added to what was already a massive game. I could never get into any other MMO after playing Discworld because they always seemed too shallow. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

yeah, I remember playing this way too much a good few years ago now, and now I just know I'm going to make a new character and lose entire days to it again. it was soo addictive. I used to be a priest of gufnork (God of fluff). my previous username here on boards used to be gufnork in fact named after that very same God. ah, the memories come flooding back...

• Advertisement

...and, yep. Just as I thought. I've made a new character and am already hating myself for it. Although I have convinced myself I can handle it this time. I'm in complete control of it this time. I f*%king am!!

Not joining a guild straight away this time. No aligning myself with good or evil in pumpkin town for me this time. Nope. Just going to take it easy and wander pumpkin town making sure I've seen everything and got all I can out of it. I've already got a nice brown woollen skirt and a pink fluffy towel and a nice wide brimmed hat. Not to mention the satchel. Oh, and I've got two free torches too from the nice man at the night club who used to be a wizard.

Having a blast so far, and I've not even left pumpkin town. Of course, it's even worse now than when I was playing before. I now have it on my phone, tablet and laptop.

I don't stand a chance really...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

On a slightly off topic note (which im allowed do as a moderator!) does anyone else remember the old point and click discworld game?

I'm afraid I never played that. It can still be got I think, and run through a DOS window/emulator(I don't know. I may be making stuff up at this point).

I've just had a great idea. I might start a thread and record my escapades in the discworld mud. We'll see how long it takes me to get the sack from my job for playing on my phone when I should be working. Not promising anything though. Sounds like a good idea at the moment though, and I have beer for later so it'll probably look better and better as the evening goes on.

Anyway, I'm derailing your derail so I'll stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

On a slightly off topic note (which im allowed do as a moderator!) does anyone else remember the old point and click discworld game?

The only one I played to completion was Discworld Noir. Even if it's Sam Vimes is completely out of character.

I just want an Ankh-Morpork built using the Assassins Creed Engine.

Advertisement