Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

This is a fella who got roads in cork closed to expand his bar. I’m sure contacts with a few sergeants will see extra guarda in the area

His ex must have the same pull as that street by reardens is still closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Eir are opening a shop in Mahon Point.

https://mahonpointsc.ie/eir-are-opening-at-mahon-point-and-are-looking-for-staff/

Could be in the unit vacated by Carphone Warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Looks like Vodafone opening in Ballincollig Shopping Centre. In the vacant unit where they used put the Santa...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gap closing down in July, not confirmed opera lane is but they have said previously they are looking to close all Irish stores.

Pity, I like their clothes especially there jeans. Very good quality for the money.

The retail giants continue to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

This is a fella who got roads in cork closed to expand his bar. I’m sure contacts with a few sergeants will see extra guarda in the area

He got 17 streets closed in Cork? Fair play to him!

• Advertisement

He got 17 streets closed in Cork? Fair play to him!

It's a mixture of streets that should be pedestrianised anyway years ago, and streets with businesses that have a vested interest.

Grafton St being on the list gives a clue into who is driving the decisions.

Look at the daily photos on twitter of people driving and parking on those streets to decide how much of an interest the council have in pedestrianisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mardyke wrote: »
    It's a mixture of streets that should be pedestrianised anyway years ago, and streets with businesses that have a vested interest.

Grafton St being on the list gives a clue into who is driving the decisions.

Look at the daily photos on twitter of people driving and parking on those streets to decide how much of an interest the council have in pedestrianisation.

The key point is the council and generally how rubbish they are. Businesses want it, the general public(leaving aside the usual moaners) want it, health authorities want outdoors. If anything good comes out of this pandemic its the refocus of our streets on people not cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Korky's on Princess St is closing :mad:
    At this rate we will be just left with DS/BT's and Penny's :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Eir in Mahon is opening in the old Inglot unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Top shop seems to be cleared out.

• Advertisement

Bun Bros opening in Wilton. Is it where Abrakebabra was?

Www.bunbros.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Mardyke wrote: »
    Bun Bros opening in Wilton. Is it where Abrakebabra was?

Www.bunbros.ie

It's run by four star pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I think Eir in Mahon is opening in the old Inglot unit.

It’s open there today

The new Three Mobile store looks fully fitted out and ready to open on Patrick Street. It is between their existing store and JD Sports. Hoarding is still up outside but inside the shop fit looks complete.

Also it looks like the former Oasis shop is being readied to reopen. Probably some sort of popup shop, maybe a clearance spot for one of the many retailers that went bust over the last few months. A similar one opened on Winthrop street recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rob316 wrote: »
    Gap closing down in July, not confirmed opera lane is but they have said previously they are looking to close all Irish stores.

Pity, I like their clothes especially there jeans. Very good quality for the money.

The retail giants continue to fall.

I asked one of the staff and they said as far as they've been told the Cork store is safe, mainly Belfast effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

satanta99 wrote: »
    Calvin Klein are recruiting for an assistant manager for Opera Lane. https://careers.pvh.com/global/en/job/R22598/Assistant-Manager-Calvin-Klein-Cork-Opera

The Sunday Times reported last week that Calvin Klein were looking to open a store on Grafton Street.

Could they be opening a store in the former Only outlet on Opera Lane, or is this for nearby Tommy Hilfiger store? Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein are owner by PVH group.

anymore on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Himalaya Valley yoga place in Penrose Wharf is closed permanently - never realised, was looking forward to going back to face to face classes there :-( they only have the Ballincollig premises now, too far out for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not sure if already mentioned but Esquires coffee chain have on their website that they'll be opening soon in Douglas.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Not sure if already mentioned but Esquires coffee chain have on their website that they'll be opening soon in Douglas.

Probably next to the new Aldi. It was mentioned a coffee shop was taking two of the units there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    A few of the vacant units on Shandon St have been tidied up and are up for rent & sale on both sides of the pizza place (Oregano Leaf). One was a vape shop, the next one an Indian style grocery shop & then the largest was a suit hire place. Just down the road the really ugly building that the owner won't tidy up has been for sale for a while as well. Hopefully things will start to move there now that restrictions are starting to ease.

Two of these have opened now & one more has signage up, moving down the street from the dead pharmacy there's a barbers (in what used to be a barbers!), a beauty salon & some sort of upholstery place. No change in the biggest one which was a suit hire place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

The new Three Mobile store looks fully fitted out and ready to open on Patrick Street. It is between their existing store and JD Sports. Hoarding is still up outside but inside the shop fit looks complete.

That’s been finished 9/10 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Talking with one of the planning guys at CCC and the Lidl application for Douglas apparently deliberately matches the approved Aldi application.

He thinks it will be very hard to turn down or survive a legal challenge

Talking with one of the planning guys at CCC and the Lidl application for Douglas apparently deliberately matches the approved Aldi application.

He thinks it will be very hard to turn down or survive a legal challenge

Although its great news on the job front, its a new modern and well equipped Cinema(which will also create jobs) is what Douglas needs, not another supermarket. That will be mean it will be Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi and now Lidl battling it out for business. Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

InitialG wrote: »
    [...] That will be mean it will be Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi and now Lidl battling it out for business. Lunacy.
    Dont forget M&S

Although its great news on the job front, its a new modern and well equipped Cinema(which will also create jobs) is what Douglas needs, not another supermarket. That will be mean it will be Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi and now Lidl battling it out for business. Lunacy.

Dont worry it'll be gridlock so you'll probably spend the day in the car rather than ever get to the shops

Aldi Mahon closing for a couple of weeks so Douglas will be extra busy

Dont worry it'll be gridlock so you'll probably spend the day in the car rather than ever get to the shops

Aldi Mahon closing for a couple of weeks so Douglas will be extra busy

Exactly and then this was released the other day so the mind boggles:confused:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40317962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Exactly and then this was released the other day so the mind boggles:confused:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40317962.html

There will be an extensive redesign of infrastructure in Douglas for Busconnects, starting in September. I wonder will the echo remain committed to alleviating traffic in the area or will they print whatever nonsense the inevitable community group against change will send to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Does the new Aldi have anything that anything extra compared to any other Aldi? I've been to various Aldis and whether they were recently opened or older ones, they always have the exact same stock, only difference being the newer ones were more slightly morecpleasant to shop in as there was more space

siblers wrote: »
    Does the new Aldi have anything that anything extra compared to any other Aldi? I've been to various Aldis and whether they were recently opened or older ones, they always have the exact same stock, only difference being the newer ones were more slightly morecpleasant to shop in as there was more space

A few food items that I hadn't seen before but pretty much the same otherwise. I was really impressed with it yesterday, really wide isles loads of parking, small enough wine and beer section though which surprised me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Probably next to the new Aldi. It was mentioned a coffee shop was taking two of the units there

Both units were advertising for tenants when I visited yesterday.

Edit actually they were not, two units are taken by a cafe. Looks like you are right

Advertisement