Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Patrick Rothfuss fans

• 26-07-2018 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Something that might interest his fans......

And as part of this Kickstarter, we're thrilled to announce a collaboration with New York Times bestselling author Patrick Rothfuss. The very first expansion to the game will be set in the world of Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. Your hero could attend the University, study under a mysterious mentor, train as a mercenary, and seek to learn the names of all things. In Call to Adventure, you decide!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise/call-to-adventure-featuring-name-of-the-wind/?ref=kicktraq

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You know what'd be even more interesting? If he wrote the third book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wow, another [prequel|spin-off|board-game|novella], how interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

ixoy wrote: »
    You know what'd be even more interesting? If he wrote the third book.

Having read the second, I don't think I agree.

Trojan wrote: »
    Wow, another [prequel|spin-off|board-game|novella], how interesting.

Newsweek wrote:
    Rothfuss also talked about his satisfaction with the team assembled for the TV adaptation of The Kingkiller Chronicle coming to Showtime. “The TV show is always sort of a source of unexpected delight,” Rothfuss said. “I have such respect for the writers’ room that they’ve put together, really genuinely lovely people.”

Rothfuss appeared on the B&N podcast to promote the trade paperback release of his four issue comic book miniseries Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons, co-authored with Jim Zub, with art from Troy Little.
    (Source)

My favourite part, re: book 3:
    ‘When it’s ready I will bring it to you,’ and until then, trust that I am working,” Rothfuss said

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trojan wrote: »
    My favourite part, re: book 3:
    I believe him that he's working; just not on book 3...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Odds on the show wrapping up before he finished book 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

While the waiting goes on ,for those who want their Kingkiller fix.......
    If interested the expansion for Call of Adventure is based on The Kingkiller Chronicles.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/259162/call-adventure-name-wind
    Call to Adventure: Name of the Wind is a 75-card expansion for Call to Adventure based on The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. This expansion, and others to follow, add new challenges, new destinies, and mechanisms unique to the author's world to the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

About that third book...

His editor has never seen anything from it...

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/07/patrick-rothfusss-editor-confirms-she.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Also the show is not currently being made.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Also the show is not currently being made.

I stand by my comment that the show will air before book 3 will come out.

• Advertisement

"When it’s ready I will bring it to you,’ and until then, trust that I am working" - Rothfuss

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Donielad

He is a dick just call it a day and say he is too afraid to publish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He should be embarrassed to publish, those books were self absorbed masturbatory dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nah they were pretty special at the time tbh, I really would love to know what happened to him.

Agree. Read them a second time and its really clear how messed up his timelines are. The writing equivalent of painting yourself into a corner. Unsure how he can finish the story. But I'll read all three when/if he does publish.

Over a year later, we're still waiting for a response from Rothfuss to the editor's comments - rumours are that he has written a first draft of a statement but it needs a bit more work.

Stolen jokes aside, there were some other fairly blunt comments from the editor (Betsy Wollheim) in the Facebook thread:

Comment: It’s been nine years? Woah. Ok, that does seem excessive. I mean, some authors can do a book a year and some can’t, but still. Although I don’t think the article is trying to blame the editor? Well, not the publisher’s editor. Rothfuss-as-editor of his current draft maybe. BW Response: I don’t think that’s clear. But being Pat’s editor, I might be overly sensitive. And actually ten years, but who’s counting?

Comment: I couldn't possible speak to Pat's process, and to be honest, I stopped looking for Book 3 quite some time ago. If it ever comes out, I'll consider reading it, butonly if it's the last book in the series. BW response: It will be the last book in Kvothe's backstory, but Pat originally wanted to write more in this world. I don't know what he wants to do now. Or even if he wants to write at all.

Source/more quotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/KingkillerChronicle/comments/i1na9e/betsygate_facebook_post_and_comments_documentation/

If that's what his publisher is willing to say publicly, then I think it's really dead in the water. Apart from being annoyed about his extra curricular activities, I think it's very sad, he must have some serious mental demons. Nothing else explains it at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The only think I can think of as I think he enjoyed writing the story is that he's tying himself up to force it to be a trilogy. I think if he instead went the WoT route (it's a trilogy, no five, no seven, no a gazillion) at least we'd see the story starting to progress and it would open up a chance to rumble around the various stories a bit more (but we'd risk GoT of endless sub plots never going anywhere instead). Or he simply decided he's made enough for living on for the rest of life and now it has to be perfect (i.w. GoT again...).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Don't see how it could be a trilogy in fairness, the 3rd book would have to cover many years of action.

It's hilarious to think that WOT was planned as a trilogy. I'm very glad I didn't get into reading it until book 9 was out, I only had to wait 12 years for the final 5 books (and the final book had to be split in two by Sanderson too).

Even GRRM split a book. I hope that someone has actually told Rothfuss that it's ok to do DOS as two books. It would make a lot more sense.

We eventually got The Republic of Thieves from Lynch...

LOL - this is dead. Basically what has the editor to lose here, PR won't deliver the next book this year... oh wait.

For me it's not an issue about the number of books but the storyline has been written in a way that he can't get out of. I don't remember the specifics but from memory there are multiple threads that don't seem to be able to be aligned. You'd argue a better editor would have spotted this but...

• Advertisement

Advertisement