Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing a new kitten to your dog

• 23-07-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I've a kitten on the way and I already have a dog in the house. She was extremely protective of our last cat but the cat was here before she was.
    When I say protective she would charge at strange cats and has high prey drive towards rabbits, fox's, squirrels and deer and although shes never gotten near any animals she definitely looks like she's not wanting to just play.

So I'm wondering what's the best way to get her to accept the new cat as part of her pack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What breed is your dog OP?
    If the dog has lived with a cat safely, its just a matter of getting her used to the new cat.
    When the kitten arrives, dont let the dog anywhere near it untended/unsupervised until you know the dog has accepted the new kitten

Make sure that the kitten can always get away safely from the dog - open doors etc.

Introduce the dog calmly and carefully when the kitten arrives - holding the kitten in your hands, let the dog sniff it, praising her all the time - a few treats would be a good idea. The kitten will probbably freak when it sees your dog, but they will get used to each other in time.

My dog breaks up fights or hissing or spats between my three cats - he reckons hes the referee - they all arrived AFTER him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Shes an American bulldog and she does seem to have the classic pack protection and hunting instincts.
    She'll be rock solid once she realises the cat lives here, I just want to make the adjustment as smooth as possible.
    I'll start chopping up more hotdogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Hi OP, just wondering how this worked out for you. Considering rescuing a cat, but wary with our 13 yr old springer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

godfather2 wrote: »
    Hi OP, just wondering how this worked out for you. Considering rescuing a cat, but wary with our 13 yr old springer.

It's working out OK, when the kitten came 1st I watched the dog like a hawk and had her sit next to me. If she looked at her too long and started getting a preying look I'd tick her off, nudge her etc.
    If anything it's worked too well as she was almost afraid of the cat and now still avoids it. It's a work in progress which I'm improving with classical conditioning, eg. If the cat comes near her she gets a treat so she associates the cat with good things.
    The dog still hasn't lost any of her prey drive as today she thought a falling stick was a squirrel and spun around and charged thinking she had finally got one.
    So if it's possible with her it's possible with a springer. Best of luck!

Advertisement