Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a pet dog out to a random applicant with a brand new account

• 27-07-2020 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

This seems very peculiar, but the person with the dog is shutting down all advice.

<link snipped>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That looks like a tragedy waiting to happen, that poor dog. So many rescues have offered help but the OP is just ignoring them, which indicates to me that the dog was probably stolen.
    Nothing looks legit about it.

I hope to god someone with a good heart and kind intentions manages to get hold of him, because I dread to think what will happen to the poor little thing if he ends up in the wrong hands.
    Such a sad, frustrating situation. I wonder could it be reported to the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

If they really had brought the dog back to health and spent the last 1 and a half years with him they should want to do everything in their power to make sure he is safe and loved for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭daheff

SusieBlue wrote: »
    indicates to me that the dog was probably stolen.
    I'd be very surprised if this dog was stolen. One of the pictures is with their child (or a child anyway)
    I wonder could it be reported to the Gardaí?
    For what though?
    I hope to god someone with a good heart and kind intentions manages to get hold of him
    hopefully.

question though, how can somebody verify a microchip matches the dog? I've only been able to find sites that verify it exists or give details of how to change it.

If its that difficult to verify is it any surprise at the way dogs are bought & sold ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

daheff wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if this dog was stolen. One of the pictures is with their child (or a child anyway)

For what though?

hopefully.

question though, how can somebody verify a microchip matches the dog? I've only been able to find sites that verify it exists or give details of how to change it.

If its that difficult to verify is it any surprise at the way dogs are bought & sold ??

Mine's microchipped but I'm considering a tattoo as well. If it's on her ear, they'll cut that off, but her tummy might work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres plenty of adverts users that "request" free dogs and then I see them up for sale elsewhere usually DD or gumtree.
    The mods / admins of adverts don't seem to really care despite me reporting some of the users multiple times.

Ive given up reporting them now - best thing adverts could do would be not allowing the rehoming of animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres plenty of adverts users that "request" free dogs and then I see them up for sale elsewhere usually DD or gumtree.
    The mods / admins of adverts don't seem to really care despite me reporting some of the users multiple times.

Ive given up reporting them now - best thing adverts could do would be not allowing the rehoming of animals.

Wow, that's poor form, given that you're a mod on Animals & Pets here on part of the same company. I don't look at Adverts.ie very often; this ad was flagged on Facebook as being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Adverts is a cesspit and Adverts (Distilled SCH Group - same as here) could give a flying fúck about what's traded on there or weather the items are stolen or not.

They continue to allow businesses operate through their site(s) that pay no tax and offer no receipts etc.

I have reported a number of advertisers to Adverts and they do nothing. Had to report 1 advertiser to Revenue and Adverts blocked me from leaving honest and truthful feedback - they're a joke

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, linking to adverts websites is not permitted on this forum. I will however leave the thread open for general discussion of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭daheff

best thing adverts could do would be not allowing the rehoming of animals.

This only drives it to the next website who might care even less about it.

Legislation and a fully traceable system is needed.

For example anybody with a chip number should be able to verify the dog breed, age, mother (&chip #) & a contact number for the owner. This should be freely accessible online....and if possible the chip could be readable from an NFC phone it would be great.(not sure if it's technically possible to scan the chip with a phone though.)

Once the dog is traceable and there's a contact number it's less likely for dodgy sales (and certainly not stolen dogs) online.

Advertisement