Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy not microchipped

• 27-07-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Would appreciate a steer. We are interested in a 10 week old puppy for sale. He was bought from a breeder two weeks ago but the family who bought him weren’t prepared for the work involved with a puppy and are re-selling. They sound very genuine but my big concern is the lack of microchipping. He has his first set of vaccinations but hasn’t been microchipped - they say that the breeder left it up to them to do this and had advised them to do it at around ten weeks. Should I steer clear or is this at all plausible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

it's illegal to sell a pup without a microchip, so the pup originally came from a puppy farm or back yard breeder, regardless of how genuine the current sellers are. Legislation is here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/63/made/en/pdf

I wouldn't touch it - if i was going to buy a pup I'd want it to have come from a breeder who health tested, have a good idea of parental temperament (so an idea of the pup's likely temperament), know how the pup was raised, have a relationship with the breeder, etc etc.

If i was taking a risk on a pup with an unknown background, I'd go to a reputable rescue so that I knew that I wasn't fueling puppy farms and irresponsible breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Gemma1982 wrote: »
    Would appreciate a steer. We are interested in a 10 week old puppy for sale. He was bought from a PUPPY FARMtwo weeks ago but the family who bought him weren’t prepared for the work involved with a puppy and are re-selling. They sound very genuine but my big concern is the lack of microchipping. He has his first set of vaccinations but hasn’t been microchipped - they say that the breeder left it up to them to do this and had advised them to do it at around ten weeks. Should I steer clear or is this at all plausible?

Fixed it. No decent breeder would sell without chipping, don't contemplate it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go to a rescue shelter....

This buying of dogs has got way out of hand....

Many a scam going on now too.

Why anyone would buy a puppy these days is beyond me. The rescue centers are bursting at the seams with lovely dogs who need homes. Most of these dogs probably originated in puppy farms , by buying dogs people just add to this vicious cycle and perpetuate the dispicable business of puppy farms.

The best natured dog I ever had was a rescue dog, a collie lurcher mix, and to this day I miss her.
    My mother was a registered breeder of show dogs and gun dogs when we were kids, she had a brilliant reputation and knew where all her dogs went and kept in touch with the owners. But she stopped as there were so many unscrupulous breeders and eventually got rescue dogs herself.

It’s a different world now. Rescue dogs are euthanized every week because people prefer to buy dogs.

I hope OP may reconsider their plans , either way I wouldn’t touch that puppy but I would worry where it will end up .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

Thanks for the advice all. We won’t be buying that pup. I just hope that he ends up in a good home.

In terms of the rescues, that was our first preference and we have approached numerous rescue centres. None of them are willing to give a dog other than a puppy to a family with young children and none of the rescue centres have puppies at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice all. We won’t be buying that pup. I just hope that he ends up in a good home.

In terms of the rescues, that was our first preference and we have approached numerous rescue centres. None of them are willing to give a dog other than a puppy to a family with young children and none of the rescue centres have puppies at the moment.

What's the harm in something a little older even say 10 months old.... We didn't think we would and we got a brilliant friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

As I said, we have approached many rescue centres. They all seem to have a policy that they won’t let families with young children have anything other than a puppy. We would be more than happy to take an older dog but it just isn’t an option with the rescue centres.

As I said, we have approached many rescue centres. They all seem to have a policy that they won’t let families with young children have anything other than a puppy. We would be more than happy to take an older dog but it just isn’t an option with the rescue centres.

News to me we rescued and children weren't an issue unless the dog was a little unfriendly or just not use to kids...

Garden was a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Why anyone would buy a puppy these days is beyond me. The rescue centers are bursting at the seams with lovely dogs who need homes. Most of these dogs probably originated in puppy farms , by buying dogs people just add to this vicious cycle and perpetuate the dispicable business of puppy farms.

Buying from puppy farmers is what causes the problem because they’ll sell to anyone and couldn’t care less where the pup ends up. Reputable breeders will always take a pup back and are more careful with who they’ll home puppies to than puppy farmers ...which is why no reputable breeder has puppies atm! They didn’t breed due to the pandemic restrictions and people wanting puppies on a whim.

It’s perfectly fine if somebody wants to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder for their own reasons ..they’re just going to have to wait as like I say there’s no pups!

OP the pup is possibly the last one that the breeder hasn’t managed to sell yet and this is a cover story to offload it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The OPs query has been answered and as threads looking to source pets are banned here at present I'll close this now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement