Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

But it's kind of pointless when the next push will bring in milder weather anyway. So we get a slight delay, but without a decent snowfall due to the front decaying. We need a big upgrade tonight, but rarely when there has been a sudden flip at this range to a milder outlook, do the models flip back the other way.

But what’s the point in having wet slushy snow that will melt immediately and be replaced with wind and rain.

I am sick to the bone teeth of wind and rain. I don’t care if this system doesn’t reach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Roll on the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    But what’s the point in having wet slushy snow that will melt immediately and be replaced with wind and rain.

I am sick to the bone teeth of wind and rain. I don’t care if this system doesn’t reach me.

I agree. I was more so thinking of a significant snowfall that did not turn to rain after a few hours. It's very doubtful there will be an upgrade to the extent that the cold air wins out and pushes the milder air out. With this in mind I am sceptical of the cold hanging on in the east till Sunday, either way for those of us further west it's just more cold rain and perhaps flooding to be concerned about over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

A further update at 3pm on Met Éireann website and they are still going with snow until potentially Saturday for the east and north. They seem really set on that now as that’s the third update having presumably seen the most recent models. Mentions of consistent additional accumulations in the north, east and midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I'm hoping the GEM has the best handle on this. It seems pretty unlikely but no harm in hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

A further update at 3pm on Met Éireann website and they are still going with snow until potentially Saturday for the east and north. They seem really set on that now as that’s the third update having presumably seen the most recent models. Mentions of consistent additional accumulations in the north, east and midlands
    https://www.met.ie/forecasts/national-forecast
    It's worth adding that they are quite clear about continuing snow in the Eastern half of Ireland until Friday night. That keeps the South East in snow until then, if that forecast verifies. After that, it's more along the lines of the cold staying in the North, East and Midlands and later the cold becomes restricted to North Leinster and Ulster. So possibly a very slow, North Eastward spread of milder air.
    I'm still very cautious about making any call on what will happen on Thursday. I'm in the South East and while I'm very hopeful of seeing snow, I won't be at all surprised either if we have little and quickly transition to rain or even if the precipitation doesn't reach us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

bazlers wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more its the GOAT of all let downs.

No the GOAT was around 2008 I think when they announced the schools were closing for 2 days and it all changed verrrrry late, like hours before the event is how I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS pretty much as you were.

ICON similar to it's earlier run as well but remains determined for an event on Saturday

iconeu_uk1-1-96-0.png?09-16

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

https://www.met.ie/warnings/thursday
    Just spotted this warning on Met Eireann website(though it's been their since this morning). They're talking about 5cm of snow which surprises me a little, bearing in mind that the precipitation is expected to remain as snow for many areas away from the West and South. I would have thought that frontal snow ought to give a bit more than that. Generally 1mm of rain will produce 10mm of snow. So if we only see 5cm of snow, that suggests only 5mm of rain(assuming my calculation is correct and also assuming that I am explaining myself properly;)).

So the situation is that both GFS and ICON agree on a potential snow event on Saturday in the eastern half of the country.

GFS remains much more significant for Thursday/Friday too

60-574UK.GIF?09-12

Those who think this is over it evidently isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

So the situation is that both GFS and ICON agree on a potential snow event on Saturday in the eastern half of the country.

GFS remains much more significant for Thursday/Friday too

60-574UK.GIF?09-12

Those who think this is over it evidently isn't.

Was never here for us in the west :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

plenty of snow there for mayo, about 12 hours

falling during daylight so we should get to see it before the atlantic lets off a warm moist fart and melts it on friday.

A triple crown for the GFS - Sunday too

120-574UK.GIF?09-12

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Meath Éireann only update the forecast for that range once a day. Don't expect any more updates on there forecast until tomorrow morning when the Harmonie will have Thursday and early Friday in its range of 54hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Based on the latest charts posted by Kermit, if we managed the 10cm Thursday/Friday on the Seafront in Bray, I would ironically have received the most snow down here since 1987. Highly IMBY of course as the rest of Bray got much more than 10cm in 2010 and 2018. Seafront though hasn't seen more than 10cm since ‘87. :D

ie. the next few days still has the potential to be a record breaker for me.....literally in my back yard though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

A very strange set up. We have Cold Easterly originating in Siberia going all the way to the East Coast of Canada.

Its all down to that Poxy Low Pressure if we get Epic Snow or Irish Type Snow.

I wish it would feck off in to North Africa.:P

pC75VnU.png

pVH8uTR.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

So the cold is staying on until Sunday then. That’s no downgrade.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    So the cold is staying on until Sunday then. That’s no downgrade.

Seems like they don't call it a rollercoaster for nothin’ !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Calibos wrote: »
    Based on the latest charts posted by Kermit, if we managed the 10cm Thursday/Friday on the Seafront in Bray, I would ironically have received the most snow down here since 1987. Highly IMBY of course as the rest of Bray got much more than 10cm in 2010 and 2018. Seafront though hasn't seen more than 10cm since ‘87. :D

ie. the next few days still has the potential to be a record breaker for me.....literally in my back yard though. :D

Here's hoping Calibos! Not holding my breath though hoping for a pleasant surprise, don't think we are cold enough for a repeat of 2018 or before this time at least being so close to the sea in our areas.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think we can safely say at this point that nobody knows how the next 3-4 days will pan out. The models are chopping and changing so much that it feels like anything could happen. Wouldn’t surprise me if the models flip again

I am looking forward to it, the uncertainty might lend to some nice surprises for many and heartbreak for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why does Clare seem to avoid all the snow in the model photos?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Supercell wrote: »
    Here's hoping Calibos! Not holding my breath though hoping for a pleasant surprise, don't think we are cold enough for a repeat of 2018 or before this time at least being so close to the sea in our areas.

2018 was a literal washout for Bray Seafront anyway. We had about 5-6cm from a streamer a day or two before Emma but Emmas gales brought in Maritime air and/or salty sea spray and near the Seafront it was melting my snow as quickly as it fell. After emma was over we had 5-6cm of dirty slushy crap instead of the previous 5-6cm of nice dry snow.

Theres a reason I took no photo’s in 2018 :rolleyes: :D

(Didn't take any after the streamer because I expected those I took post Emma to be so much better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

The weather forum is always a bit manic on borderline snow events.

I think covid lockdown has people really on edge this time. At the end of the day Met Eireann are best to go by, not BBC etc. They have most of the data for us and more experts analysing it than anywhere else in Ireland. Not dismissing all the talented and knowledgeable individuals but when you put a more experts together it's generally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Where i am in Wicklow town (away from the seafront) we got nothing before Emma. Emma dumped loads of snow. Drifts over 60cm and a good few inches everywhere else. Didn't take long to melt away afterwards though and snow after emma melted before it hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Calibos wrote: »
    Seems like they don't call it a rollercoaster for nothin’ !! :D

This is a true rollercoaster. Possibly the best one in years

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Another downgrade from ICON, as the front reaches Ballina to south Dublin it breaks and dissipates. South of that will have some accumulations. Even the 5cm accumulations forecast from earlier is now in doubt. For the weekend it looks to be the same story, models over doing it again not much precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Billcarson

When it comes to cold spells its always best to take each day as it comes. Sometimes ignorance is bliss lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

YanSno wrote: »
    Another downgrade from ICON, as the front reaches Ballina to south Dublin it breaks and dissipates. South of that will have some accumulations. Even the 5cm accumulations forecast from earlier is now in doubt. For the weekend it looks to be the same story, models over doing it again not much precipitation.

Is that just for today or do we still expect snow on Thursday in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cfresident

YanSno wrote: »

Really? Icon is showing 30cms for Dublin in the next 5 days on Windy app, this tallies with the GFS also.

Advertisement