Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    To my untrained eye, that looks 2010 esque...

yes, it looks similar to 2010 but less extreme. still in FI though so it isn't likely to happen (but I'd say there's a greater than average chance of the chart being onto something)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

if those charts posted today still keep showing into next week, all composure will be lost ! The other day I was thinking back to December 2010 and I remember some of those threads on here literally having over 100 pages. It felt like there was about 4 or 5 posts per minute with the snow hammering down. 2010 truly was one for the eternal archive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GEM finally starting to get in line with something colder.

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Villain wrote: »
    That'll do pig that'll do :D

gfsnh-0-234.png

Just a bit colder and we won't need those fridges for the Pfizer vaccine:D

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

I dont know chaps but i cant see the heights in the Aantic holding. Im a bit concerned now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Villain wrote: »
    Can I please have one ticket for the Rollercoaster, I am getting on :D
    gfsnh-1-234.png

The Cold Weather Rollercoaster is still off the tracks for me since Dec 2012, so I won’t be getting a ticket just yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Gonzo wrote: »
    GEM finally starting to get in line with something colder.

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

Trend is our friend. Can’t wait to see the gladiator “hold” meme and of course the Ned Stark “Winter is coming”. I know we’ve a few days to be a bit more certain and we’ve all seen those beautiful charts melt away to nothing even as close as 2 days away but I still love the polar coaster ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

if those charts posted today still keep showing into next week, all composure will be lost ! The other day I was thinking back to December 2010 and I remember some of those threads on here literally having over 100 pages. It felt like there was about 4 or 5 posts per minute with the snow hammering down. 2010 truly was one for the eternal archive

Page after page of Dubs discovering graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM1-240.GIF?18-0

takemymoney.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

ECM1-240.GIF?18-0

takemymoney.jpg

Looks lovely but the 850 level Temps on this chart are no great shakes, cold but not bitterly so. The trend is good but I'm not on board yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Looks lovely but the 850 level Temps on this chart are no great shakes, cold but not bitterly so. The trend is good but I'm not on board yet.

the cold uppers are on their way on that chart, would've been nice to see a day 11 chart! brilliant runs this evening, it'll be interesting to see MT's thoughts in his forecast tomorrow.

That aside, the ECM is also showing a risk of snow for parts of the country on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It would drag much colder air in very fast. If it happens obviously:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's great to see the GEM finally coming on board. This model was having none of it up until today. It seems the main models are starting to work from the same script. If these charts were within 48 hours, right now i'd be like this guy:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Billcarson

ECM1-240.GIF?18-0

takemymoney.jpg

Not too dissimilar to late dec 78 that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I knows its the CFS but it now shows cold weather from 18 to 25 December, with steamers up to and including Christmas day, followed by a repeat of March 2018 from Stephen's day onwards! See for example:-

20122800_0400.gif

Just the usual boring -14 uppers down here.....

In defence of the cfs, see my post above from 14 days ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In defence of the cfs, see my post above from 14 days ago.....

To be fair it does get it right sometimes. If i'm not mistaken, it also was right about the 2018 cold spell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The CFS was suggesting this as far back as October on some of it's very extended range updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Broken clock is right twice a day and all that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anniversary yesterday of one of the best days of my life, it snowed down so heavy and I looked out my living room window and watched as cars got stranded driving up my road :-D watching that snow on the week before Christmas - heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Anniversary yesterday of one of the best days of my life, it snowed down so heavy and I looked out my living room window and watched as cars got stranded driving up my road :-D watching that snow on the week before Christmas - heaven!

Remember it well. We had friends over for dinner, had Xmas fm playing, and we drank ourselves silly watching snow out the window listening to Xmas songs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I know it's a bit of fun for ye, but it's genuinely baffling how experienced weather enthusiasts get excited at these charts. I remember last winter snow or severe cold was two weeks away every almost every single run.

Has anyone noticed if there is a difference in the long range accuracy in summer and winter? I have zero weather forecasting knowledge but from these threads it feels it shows and gets wrong alot more cold in winter than heat in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

US2 wrote: »
    I know it's a bit of fun for ye, but it's genuinely baffling how experienced weather enthusiasts get excited at these charts. I remember last winter snow or severe cold was two weeks away every almost every single run.

Has anyone noticed if there is a difference in the long range accuracy in summer and winter? I have zero weather forecasting knowledge but from these threads it feels it shows and gets wrong alot more cold in winter than heat in summer?

Yes, some people get excited by the charts, it's a small sign. 1 chart in winter says "snow & cold" it's a sign depending on the chart. 2/3 charts start agreeing and more people get excited. The main charts fall into agreement in a smaller timeline (96 hours or nothing for me :D ) and we have a mass fall in of people in the weather forum asking "Will it snow in my back garden".

It still doesn't mean it is going to snow, certainly not on the first chart from the GEM 240 hours out (could happen though). There are certain social media pages in Ireland & their websites that push a click, like and share narrative. These statements from click bate websites should be approached like a meeting with Donald Trump or trying to take your mother-in-laws underwear off with your teeth. Just don't even think about it!

Not liking the ECM as much this morning. Are we cold lovers going to be heartbroken again?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Not liking the ECM as much this morning. Are we cold lovers going to be heartbroken again?

Any post I see you from you is negative, do you ever have a positive thing to say? Plenty of twists and turns, and that was always to be expected. It’s called the rollercoaster for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

It will be all down to the direction this Low takes coming off the states/canada. Hopefully MTC comments this morning on it.

Any post I see you from you is negative, do you ever have a positive thing to say? Plenty of twists and turns, and that was always to be expected. It’s called the rollercoaster for a reason.

We got a decent cold slot once in twenty or fifty years. We're in the era of climate change. Cold weather is not as common as it used to be. The models are not terribly accurate after 120hrs. I've studied them for thirty years. So your darned right I'm negative. I'll be delighted if we get to 96 hrs out and decent synoptic. Until then, prepare for the worst and be happy if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

We got a decent cold slot once in twenty or fifty years. We're in the era of climate change. Cold weather is not as common as it used to be. The models are not terribly accurate after 120hrs. I've studied them for thirty years. So your darned right I'm negative. I'll be delighted if we get to 96 hrs out and decent synoptic. Until then, prepare for the worst and be happy if I'm wrong.

Depends what you class as decent. For most, there are 4 or 5 cold spells that would fall into decent territory in the last ten years even.

FEB 2009, Dec 09/Jan 2010, Nov/Dec 2010, March 2013, Feb/March 2018. So once in 50 years...

Would be worth coming up with some simple factors to quantify a "decent cold spell", like 850hpa temps of -8, and conducting an objective analysis of how much rarer "decent cold spells" have become in Ireland. I'm sure they have, but I think it's overdone sometimes, you'd swear 2010 or 2018 were annual events before 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

I think a lot of people who grew up in the 70s and 80s have memories of regular snow falls and this might skew their thinking. With the odd exception, the nineties and naughties were really poor for snow. The last decade or so has been better (based mainly on the 5 events listed above) but then again the bar is fairly low.

Still looking likely for a hard frost at least on Christmas Day which will do nicely. Snow will be a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Some sort of Snowmageddon showing up across all runs and times. A cold christmas and New Year on the cards. If some of these runs were to verify would make 2010 look like a hail shower. Irish Sea Effect Snow would bury the East Coast of Ireland. We,ve got Northerlies, Easterlies....and North Easterlies.... North westerlies.....All cold.

At least we are not looking at a raging Atlantic for once.

jVRmNHK.png

3MbAfb5.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement