Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Third day in a row of blue skies, bright sun and icy roofs and cars in Cork City. In shaded estates roads are still covered in ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Phone box at Sally Gap this morning

538234.jpg

Actually.. https://twitter.com/TAK17246558/status/1344990307599859715

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just been the most horrible wet rainy damp couple of days in Dublin. Give me 12c and windy over this crap any day.

You do repeat yourself...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Just been the most horrible wet rainy damp couple of days in Dublin. Give me 12c and windy over this crap any day.

It's my ball and I'm taking it home with me as I don't like this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

Supercell, that photo gave me a giggle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You do repeat yourself...

We all do on this forum. If it's going to be crappy showery weather, can we at least have the temperatures higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 09Z ICON Flash has a bit more in the way of snow later this evening. It seems to highlight the higher ground areas, but as snow is currently falling down to 100-150 metres and this model is not showing it there may be hope for more lower levels this evening.

It's handy to have this extra run in between the other main runs as it's taking the latest observations into account.

538242.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just looking at coastal temperatures at the minute and a little bit colder this afternoon.

Looking at the charts, it is possible they will drop by 2 degrees further tonight,

Howth currently reporting 4.2/1.9

If they drop to 2.2/-0-.1 by 10pm tonight you would expect showers to fall as snow a few kms inland from the coast.

I expect some parts of inland east and south Leinster will have a small covering of snow tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

And the flurries that'll move onshore tomorrow look more likely to bring a mix of hail, graupel, sleet and snow than today

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

And the flurries that'll move onshore tomorrow look more likely to bring a mix of hail, graupel, sleet and snow than today

Plenty of graupel no doubt. East coast always seems to get graupel from showers off the Irish Sea. Hopefully some of snow as the week progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

We all do on this forum. If it's going to be crappy showery weather, can we at least have the temperatures higher!

No, we want temperatures to be lower for showers of snow!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

We've just had rain that turned to sleet , intermixed with a few flakes of snow that has gone back to rain now , Laois .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just looking at coastal temperatures at the minute and a little bit colder this afternoon.

Looking at the charts, it is possible they will drop by 2 degrees further tonight,

Howth currently reporting 4.2/1.9

If they drop to 2.2/-0-.1 by 10pm tonight you would expect showers to fall as snow a few kms inland from the coast.

I expect some parts of inland east and south Leinster will have a small covering of snow tomorrow morning.

Looks like we'll be working off a narrow enough strip of action. With some wavering of where that is hitting. I was under it this morning but have had to watch everything move by just to my north since then.

Inland S.Dublin/North Kildare seems like a good bet as any angle of attack since last night seems to include these regions. Just need a bit more cold.

Throw central Dublin in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann aviation chart for 18Z has a trough lying from the mid-Irish Sea and curving south from Dublin to Cork/Waterford border. The freezing level max 1000 ft (330 m) above the whole country.

The weather is listed as follows:
    Isolated (occasional in the trough) light rain/sleet/hail showers
    Isolated (hills and mountains) light sleet/snow/hail showers

The UKMO version is similar, but is a more general
    Isolated moderate snow showers over land

Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Considering the time of year, considering the blocking seen in recent days, and the fact that Dublin is now subject to an easterly feed, it is quite disappointing that snow prospects are so meagre in the near term.

What is notable is the depth of the cold in the mid west region in the coming days, night time air temps will reach minima as low as -8C, I would expect people will see bodies of water with surface ice on them, that you may only see once or twice a decade. Canals and large ponds, ditches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'll take B please Bob..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Temperature dropped 0.5c as soon as it clouded over. I am quite suspicious of the rapid rise in temp in the mid morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Pleasant enough day in Dublin, partly cloudy and 3 degrees. I have to say I have enjoyed this winter. Would love a lot more snow obviously but lots of lovely crisp sunny days since start of December and January has plenty of potential.

I would rather cold drier winters than mild muck from the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Dull and overcast in Naas at the moment, had a cold rain shower and hail so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pleasant enough day in Dublin, partly cloudy and 3 degrees. I have to say I have enjoyed this winter. Would love a lot more snow obviously but lots of lovely crisp sunny days since start of December and January has plenty of potential.

I would rather cold drier winters than mild muck from the Atlantic

It's a horrible day in Dublin 5, raining on and off, windy, mostly dark and cloudy. It's basically an "Atlantic muck" day but 10c colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'll take B please Bob..

If ever we could do with some ninja snow it is tonight. Its one depressed country right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

A few moderate rain/sleet & soft hail showers on the Dublin coast. Pretty much what I expected from this NE flow. Very forgettable easterly. Hopefully the second half of Jan and Feb will be more eventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Showers becoming more organized in the Irish sea now. Won't amount to much in terms of snow away from high ground unfortunately. Well inland could get a few flakes too.

Classic double streamer either side of the Isle of Man with the dreaded IOM shadow in the middle. Almost looks like 2010, pity it's not as cold!

x9CiI3P.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the IOM shadow is of course affecting Meath but in this instance I don't really care as the showers are mostly of cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gonzo wrote: »
    the IOM shadow is of course affecting Meath but in this instance I don't really care as the showers are mostly of cold rain.

They're pretty benign showers too at the moment, even if they were snow it would be a bit disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gonzo wrote: »

This is the first time i've wished for the IOM shadow in an Easterly in January, count yourself lucky, it hasnt stopped raining/graupeling/hailing here since yesterday afternoon for more than 10-15 minutes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maxed at 2.4c in South Laois, both temperature and air pressure is dropping, wind light enough is settling to NNE/NE.

An improving situation (hopefully). Nice line of precipitation forming. Hope for another 1c drop before that gets here. Wishful thinking? :D

I think there is potential for something more wintry and more active tonight, especially later in the night. An interesting tweet here: https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/1346106046260117511?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Supercell wrote: »
    This is the first time i've wished for the IOM shadow in an Easterly in January, count yourself lucky, it hasnt stopped raining/graupeling/hailing here since yesterday afternoon for more than 10-15 minutes.

Yep. Cloud Train aimed squarely at Bray with the Wind ENE giving the longest sea track possible....and of course its just rain and a bit of hail now and again.

So like yourself I'm actually wishing I was in the IOM shadow which is a shocking thing for me to say in January but its not worth a fiddlers being under a cloud train when it can't deliver. Much rather be having a crisp bright day like the NW quadrant of the country.

• Advertisement

Temperatures dropping here in south Laois 1.9c now, sky dark to my NE.

Advertisement