Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

a question about singing

• 20-01-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, i'm pretty new to singing, only been taking lessons about 2 years & this year is the first when i've really begun to improve, learn and understand. i'm working hard to make progress :)

anyway what i wanted to ask about was this, i have a lot of difficulty singing fast runs of notes (like little sets of semiquavers), i just don't seem to be able to change pitch quickly and i lose the run of the notes altogether. i'm working on breath support, keeping my throat relaxed and i have some exercises to help, but what i'm wondering is if this is can be a problem for certain voice types or if it's something that can be learned with practice?

i'm not sure i'm on the right kind of forum for this question, but thought i'd throw it out there anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I'm not a singing teacher, but my best advice would be to articulate every single note—every pitch should receive an equal impulse of energy, and it may also help to lean just a little on the first note of every group of semiquavers. The run will lose momentum (and pitch!) as soon as you let the energy drop and start running the notes into one another. It requires practice in order to develop the stamina required, but you should be able to master it in time. :)

Good luck with your singing studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Doshea3 wrote: »
    I'm not a singing teacher, but my best advice would be to articulate every single note—every pitch should receive an equal impulse of energy, and it may also help to lean just a little on the first note of every group of semiquavers. The run will lose momentum (and pitch!) as soon as you let the energy drop and start running the notes into one another. It requires practice in order to develop the stamina required, but you should be able to master it in time. :)

Good luck with your singing studies!

thanks for your reply doshea, i'm hoping it is something that i can learn with good practice.

i notice lately that i can sing quickly if the word is changing, eg i can sing a scale in something like lalala quickly. but if it's one long vowel i run into trouble! i'll keep working at it though and i hope that it will get better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

No problem, glad I can be of some help. :)

Again, I am not a singing teacher, but that sounds like you just need to work on articulation (using the diaphragm, etc.).

Good luck! :)

Advertisement