Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disc wheelset recommendations sought

• 15-11-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Advice sought please folks.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new wheelset for my disc frame. Budget is around the €500 mark with a bit of wiggle room.

Shimano freehub.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I researched disc wheel sets this time last year and had the same €500 budget and found it hard to pass Fulcrum Racing 5 DB’s. they’re well within your budget at around €300 and for the price nothing else comes even close. They’re the lightest wheel under €500 at 1610g, are tubeless ready and don’t require rim tape to run regular tubes. I’ve approx 3000km of winter mileage on mine and they’re still 100% true, have required no maintenance or fixing in that time and are a good looking wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm very happy with a set of Hunt Aero Light Discs I bought in your price range (including tubeless tyres fitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Hope twenty5 with their rs4 hub.

Love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I picked up a set of the new Campag Zonda discs for around that price. They are class and look sweet with the spoke pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

detones wrote: »
    I picked up a set of the new Campag Zonda discs for around that price. They are class and look sweet with the spoke pattern.

I have Zondas on my non disc bikes and am currently looking at them. Hoping to bag a deal this month, be it Zondas or another recommendation.

Thanks for the above folks. Some marques that never would have crossed my mind. Will be investigating!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

I'm very happy with a set of Hunt Aero Light Discs I bought in your price range (including tubeless tyres fitted)

Hunt 34 Aeros? I'm looking at a purchase myself. Haven't read a bad review yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-alex-cx28-chosen-cx-disc-wheels-700c-81721.html

I have these, excellent wheelset

Unreal value at around €200...light too - at 1635g

Hand built by Raleigh in the UK

Freehub has an unusual high pitched sound - someone described it like a bunch of wasps following you around!
    who's freewheelin' anyway ;)
    Can also be used with rim brakes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a rear of them. Sold it, wish I'd kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

detones wrote: »

I looked At the Zondas when I was buying wheels but what bugged me was they were heavier than the Racing 5 DB which is why I didn’t go for them.

• Advertisement

I looked At the Zondas when I was buying wheels but what bugged me was they were heavier than the Racing 5 DB which is why I didn’t go for them.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Check out 3 T Discus Pro on merlin cycles 330e

Great value at that price. I have them and find them excellent. They come with all types of axle fittings.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Check out 3 T Discus Pro on merlin cycles 330e

Great value at that price. I have them and find them excellent. They come with all types of axle fittings.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of 3T handlebars and bar tape from Merlin as it happens. I'll check them, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Buying a set of disc wheels can be a bit of a pain as there are some many standards.
    1. you have to decide if they are a) skewers, b)15 mm thru axle or c) 12 mm thr axle
    2. then you have to decide if the discs are connected by a) spilne or b) 6 bolt
    3. then you have to decide the width of the rear axle a)142 mm or b)135 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

youtheman wrote: »
    Buying a set of disc wheels can be a bit of a pain as there are some many standards.
    1. you have to decide if they are a) skewers, b)15 mm thru axle or c) 12 mm thr axle
    2. then you have to decide if the discs are connected by a) spilne or b) 6 bolt
    3. then you have to decide the width of the rear axle a)142 mm or b)135 mm

Buy the hope, just need to swap the end caps and they give you two types in the box.

Advertisement