Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I cried at the John Lewis Christmas ad. I'm the most oversensitive, over emotional woman in Ireland this week, I need to get a grip!!

Me too. Me too and me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Enjoying a great conversation with a lady, and then their friend joins in and kills it. Awkward moments abound after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Trick is to say the person's name out loud when they tell you. You're much more likely to remember it.

And If you do forget it during the conversation just ask again before you pass the point of no return!!

Ahhhh the repeat out loud trick. I used this when I was a barman. I would repeat back the order and it definitely helped. Pretty normal for bar staff I guess.

Will use in future :)

Since I have to TA my rant is why do people have a grand chat at the doorway of train stations?? They could stand inside, outside, anywhere at all. Hell there are seats around too. But no they want to block up the doors and then give you the dirty look as you brush past racing for your train

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was early for my appointment so I went for a bit of a wander around Dunnes. I got stuck in traffic then making me late for my appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Was in Supervalu and i seen a a deli 1/4 chicken roast spud and a corn on the cob.I bought it,smelled lovelly.Chicken was dry as a bone,corn on the cob was rock hard.And the baked spud was awful.I am really disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Social climbing, pretentiousness and the word "networking". People who concern themselves with being seen to mix with the "right people". Everyone can see through it you reptile. You can't marry, f**k or network your way to class.

Also the smell of talc and the fact that nail varnish never dries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Social climbing, pretentiousness and the word "networking". People who concern themselves with being seen to mix with the "right people". Everyone can see through it you reptile. You can't marry, f**k or network your way to class.

Just take solace from the fact that they'll never know real happiness,

Kinda sad actually :(

It is sad. For then, in the pathetic sense. For the people they use and discard, in the painful sense.

I think to weed out people like this you need to watch out for questions like "what does your father do" and " any big inheritance coming?" And answer with "Binman" and "yes, I'll inherit vast debts". Regardless of what the answer actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It is sad. For then, in the pathetic sense. For the people they use and discard, in the painful sense.

I think to weed out people like this you need to watch out for questions like "what does your father do" and " any big inheritance coming?" And answer with "Binman" and "yes, I'll inherit vast debts". Regardless of what the answer actually is.

I wouldn't mind being a binman, would say it's not too stressful, compared to the awful nonsense I work at - brings me to my next TA -

Being employed. Guess it's not trivial but I hate being a wage slave

Not too badly paid to go by a radio programme I listened to. No interaxtion with idiots. I would probably do it. But it wouldn't meet the criteria for certain type of people which is ultimately a good thing. I wouldn't want to be the ideal person of those kind of people.

Having to make a living for the foreseeable is somewhat annoying alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know of an old man who, when asked if he had anything of worth, said, "Yes. My 10 children."

That's beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

People who get to the pedestrian lights and don't press the button. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I wouldn't mind being a binman, would say it's not too stressful, compared to the awful nonsense I work at - brings me to my next TA -

Being employed. Guess it's not trivial but I hate being a wage slave

Would never be a binman. Apart from the smell, it's a very physically demanding job and most of the high sickness rates in councils (in the UK) are from binmen injuring themselves on the job. Back and shoulder problems, knee problems, feet issues. And because it's a low skilled job most people in that job can't afford to retire (no private pension) so continue working much longer than they should which again contributes to more sickness absences.

My TA: the online repeat prescription website is offline for my practice and has been for about a month now. So the only way to order my prescription is to trek out to the doctor's surgery and fill in a teeny scrap of paper and put it in a box, wait 2 days, then go back to pick it up. It feels like the 1970's. :rolleyes:

Extra TA: The woman who sits across from me says 'ayeayeayeaye' under her breath when she's stressed or is trying to get something important done. I don't know why it annoys me but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I accidentally 'left' one of my whatsapp groups, I messaged the admin and now 4 days later she still hasn't added me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

TA that I don’t have a toilet seat warmer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

TA that I don’t have a toilet seat warmer.

Be thankful it hadn't been warmed up by a "previous user"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Was in my supermarket looking for a large bag of crisps (please don’t judge)

All sorts of weird and wacky flavors

Paprika
    Natural
    Ready salted
    Sea salt and vinegar
    Red curry
    Sour cream and jalapeño
    Even bolognaise?!?

All I wanted was cheese & onion and they didn’t have it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

December 19th: Hmmm let me just order a load of useless shyte. For you see I am the only person in existence. And certainly the only one shopping online.

December 24th: Xyz retailer / delivery Company is shyte. Blah blah tracking number. Not good enough.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

elfy4eva wrote: »
    People who get to the pedestrian lights and don't press the button. Why?

Or press the button and cross before the lights turn it just means traffic is held up for no reason. If you're going to dash across at the 1st chance you can, don't press the effing button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yo-ho-ho.

The puppeteers won’t be leading me a merry dance let me tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Today's TA is I broke my middle finger a few days ago. Driving was no problem with a splint on. Today I had to go to a town with alot of roundabouts . Focking finger hit the indicators every time I turned the steering wheel. Anyone behind must have been cursing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Jeez...can someone stop otherwise intelligent people to permanently quote one of the ejits i have on my ignore list?:mad:

Had to unfollow a thread in politics. Till the adults are taking over control again.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The football coach in the Avonmore milk advertisement on the Telly. Grrrrrrrrr.

George Lee , still .

I can see a spell with the green party anytime soon. Please don't do it to us George, we deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I saw a link to a store that has a promotion for a particular christmas gift. Its looked great and I could feel myself being bought over by it, planning when I would visit the store to avail of it etc.

Until I read the last part of their promotional announcement where they said "see below for the deets". Deets? Well now you can just shove your deets where the sun doesnt shine and f*ck right off. Deets!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Advertising is my bugbear at present.

The fact that they can't wait til Halloweeen is over before they start advertising Xmas.

And now they are doing it with Black Friday, that day when all the big retailers have massive sales.

I have heard a couple of adverts already for retailers saying "why wait til BF, you can get the deals now". So they are killing bf out of lack of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Why must there be an "Annoying, Loud Business Call Guy" on every f*cking train?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Why must there be an "Annoying, Loud Business Call Guy" on every f*cking train?!!

WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M ON A TRAIN

When you realise too late how something you said might have been construed, and not only TA that you relaxed enough not to over think every word (in the kind of company that would be quick to jump to the wrong conclusion) but more TA because the misconstrue-er could've asked and clarified your meaning but chose to think the worst. I truly don't know how neurodivergent people cope.

TlDr I gave an ars***le ammunition by saying what could be twisted to mean the wrong thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antares35 wrote: »
    I saw a link to a store that has a promotion for a particular christmas gift. Its looked great and I could feel myself being bought over by it, planning when I would visit the store to avail of it etc.

Until I read the last part of their promotional announcement where they said "see below for the deets". Deets? Well now you can just shove your deets where the sun doesnt shine and f*ck right off. Deets!

What is a 'deet'? A component in mosquito repellent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement